Go Back   Infamous Nissan - Hardbody / Frontier Forums > Model Specific > Hardbody Forum (D21)

Old 05-10-2018, 03:16 PM   #11
brknissan

Vehicle: 1991 Nissan d21

I pulled they fuel lines after the filter and there was barely any gas coming out, return was the same. Sprayed starter fluid into the throttle body and it started right up. And kept on running for a few minutes (I think fuel was being pulled by the vacuum at that point) As soon as gas was applied it died again, needle did not have a chance to go over 1000.

I'll test for spark just to make sure. Johnber what/where is the fusible link?
brknissan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 03:22 PM   #12
jp2code
Software Developer

Vehicle: 94 LB 2x4 Manual VG33e
Thanked 1,056 Times in 930 Posts

> Johnber what/where is the fusible link?

Pictures and everything here:

http://www.infamousnissan.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35558

If you pull the fuel filter off, does the fuel pump still deliver a solid flow out the line? Something could have crushed the steel fuel line between the pump and the filter.
Everyone you meet is fighting a battle you know nothing about. Be kind always.

jp2code is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
brknissan (05-17-2018)
Old 05-11-2018, 07:32 AM   #13
XoXSciFiGuy

Vehicle: 1997 D21 King Cab XE 2WD

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp2code View Post
> Johnber what/where is the fusible link?

Pictures and everything here:

http://www.infamousnissan.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35558

If you pull the fuel filter off, does the fuel pump still deliver a solid flow out the line? Something could have crushed the steel fuel line between the pump and the filter.
If the filter has been replaced, and there is little or no fuel coming through the line...it is either the line is crushed somewhere as JP says...or your pump is gonzo...or you have an electrical problem that is causing the pump NOT to come on when the key is either ON or in START position.

There really aren't any other possibilities here. (I think) You can eliminate the electrical possibility by getting into the cab when it's quiet, turning the key to the ON position...and listening for that 'whirr' sound. It should stop after a second or two.

If you hear the whirr nice and strong, it isn't electrical. If you don't, it IS. If you hear the whirr and still get no gas, it's either the pump is just not working for some reason, or the gas line is plugged with something, or the gas line crushed. It is extremely doubtful that the line is plugged, though. I have never seen that happen.

What's going on with this rig is actually pretty simple. It just ain't gettin' any fuel. Your fusible links are wires attached to the positive side of the battery cable, right up near the battery. Sometimes they look okay from the outside, but when you strip the plastic from the wire, are burned out inside. Don't forget to pull your negative cable first before checking them.

1997 King Cab XE, 5-sp, canopy, AC/PS, KA24E, 112,000 miles. Need a technical manual? Drop me a message.

Last edited by XoXSciFiGuy; 05-11-2018 at 07:42 AM.
XoXSciFiGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
brknissan (05-17-2018)
Old 05-13-2018, 08:24 PM   #14
brknissan

So i dropped the fuel tank, boy was that an easy task compared to some other cars. I tested the pump and it barely worked. I'll probably replace the whole assembly as my fuel gage was also sticking and this way i'll avoid any future problems. It looks like rock auto has a full assembly for $115.
Old 05-13-2018, 09:33 PM   #15
h.stickeye

Vehicle: 91 Nissan Navara d21 Single Cab

Quote:
Originally Posted by brknissan View Post
So i dropped the fuel tank, boy was that an easy task compared to some other cars. I tested the pump and it barely worked. I'll probably replace the whole assembly as my fuel gage was also sticking and this way i'll avoid any future problems. It looks like rock auto has a full assembly for $115.
The fuel gauges on these things weren't the best anyway.
h.stickeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 06:22 AM   #16
XoXSciFiGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by h.stickeye View Post
The fuel gauges on these things weren't the best anyway.
True enough. You just hope the low fuel level light works. One time I purposely took my rig down REAL low on gas just to see if it came on. LOL what a lazy bastard I am.

Yeah. It came on.

1997 King Cab XE, 5-sp, canopy, AC/PS, KA24E, 112,000 miles. Need a technical manual? Drop me a message.
Thanked by:
brknissan (05-17-2018)
Old 05-14-2018, 01:53 PM   #17
brknissan

Quote:
Yeah. It came on.
Good to know that it does come on. I've been keeping track of miles and refueled before I was getting close.

Went to order the fuel pump today from Rockauto and the cheaper one was out of stock....doh. Off to a different site I go.
Old 05-14-2018, 02:26 PM   #18
jp2code
Software Developer

Vehicle: 94 LB 2x4 Manual VG33e
Thanked 1,056 Times in 930 Posts

Sometimes you can find the complete assemblies for decent prices on eBay or Amazon. If you have a part number, that helps weed out all of the "similar items" that websites like to throw at you (yes, SciFiGuy - even with the vehicle information entered).
Everyone you meet is fighting a battle you know nothing about. Be kind always.

jp2code is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
brknissan (05-17-2018)
Old 05-14-2018, 03:06 PM   #19
SBJ
Total Buzzkill

Vehicle: '90 D21 4cyl 5spd 2wd

Quote:
Originally Posted by brknissan View Post
Good to know that it does come on. I've been keeping track of miles and refueled before I was getting close.

Went to order the fuel pump today from Rockauto and the cheaper one was out of stock....doh. Off to a different site I go.
No idea if mine works or not. I don't trust the gauge below 1/4 tank anyways. If you're trying to save a few bucks you can replace just the actual pump itself.

A word to the wise: there are different pumps for USA and Japan-built trucks. I've also heard that airtex pumps are not the greatest, although maybe they've fixed it since then.
SBJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
brknissan (05-17-2018)
Old 05-14-2018, 05:43 PM   #20
XoXSciFiGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp2code View Post
Sometimes you can find the complete assemblies for decent prices on eBay or Amazon. If you have a part number, that helps weed out all of the "similar items" that websites like to throw at you (yes, SciFiGuy - even with the vehicle information entered).
Yeah, that's true. I think Amazon is better at matching up than eBay sometimes. I used to have a Honda scooter, a mid 80's thing, and eBay would send me wrong parts occasionally. I never did get that thing running.

Always wondered why Nissan went with the tank-mounted fuel pump, and not with an inline electric setup.

Some stuff over at Advance Auto Parts on pumps. (THIS link leads to their page for 1991 selection of pumps.) You will see 'Doesn't Fit' on the entries because you aren't signed in to the site, but they are the ones for the 91.

Last edited by XoXSciFiGuy; 05-14-2018 at 05:57 PM.
Thanked by:
brknissan (05-17-2018)