Go Back   Infamous Nissan - Hardbody / Frontier Forums > Model Specific > Hardbody Forum (D21)

Old 05-01-2018, 04:14 AM   #1
Bluebeast23

Vehicle: 94 Nissan hardbody
Default Sea foam question

Hey guys I know I might be opening a big can here, but wanted opinions before doing this. So I was doing some cleaning and replacing some old rotted hoses and noticed, A LOT of sludge build up on the top of my throttle body plate. I took a rag and some throttle body cleaner and cleaned the top of it but I can only imagine what the rest looks like. So my question is, has anyone used the spry can of sea foam and if so how did you go about getting it into the throttle body? Also did you noticed and changes?

I did do a search on here but only found guys/gals adding it to the gas, oil, and break booster. I run chevron fuel cleaner every third fill up.
Bluebeast23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 05:29 AM   #2
Hands On
XXXXXXXXXXXX

Vehicle: A Hardbody

You will have to pull the TB and clean it with carb/TB cleaner and rags same way you did front of the throttle plate. Otherwise spray a shit load of cleaner and hope for the best.
Old 05-01-2018, 05:45 AM   #3
SBJ
Total Buzzkill

Vehicle: '90 D21 4cyl 5spd 2wd

Hands On pretty much summed it up. The best way to do it is to pull the throttle body and hit it with a couple cans of brake cleaner and a cheapo toothbrush. At that point you might as well take the idle control valve off and clean it too (and replace all those old gaskets while you're at it). If you aren't going to pull the TB off use carb cleaner instead.

I have never tried the seafoam spray. I've done the fluid through the brake booster but honestly if you run fuel injector cleaner every 3rd fill up your injectors are probably pretty clean already (no need to put it in the gas tank). If you are going to do it have a new set of spark plugs ready - my car idled like shit afterwards and I found that the spark plugs were all fouled up with carbon deposits. I tried it in the oil too but it's not good to run it long-term since it thins the oil out. If you have a lot of varnish under the valve cover you can substitute a quart of rislone at the next oil change. It doesn't work overnight but the oil will come out all black and nasty next time you change it.

Last edited by SBJ; 05-01-2018 at 05:52 AM.
SBJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 06:30 AM   #4
XoXSciFiGuy

Vehicle: 1997 D21 King Cab 2WD

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBJ View Post
Hands On pretty much summed it up. The best way to do it is to pull the throttle body and hit it with a couple cans of brake cleaner and a cheapo toothbrush. At that point you might as well take the idle control valve off and clean it too (and replace all those old gaskets while you're at it). If you aren't going to pull the TB off use carb cleaner instead.

I have never tried the seafoam spray. I've done the fluid through the brake booster but honestly if you run fuel injector cleaner every 3rd fill up your injectors are probably pretty clean already (no need to put it in the gas tank). If you are going to do it have a new set of spark plugs ready - my car idled like shit afterwards and I found that the spark plugs were all fouled up with carbon deposits. I tried it in the oil too but it's not good to run it long-term since it thins the oil out. If you have a lot of varnish under the valve cover you can substitute a quart of rislone at the next oil change. It doesn't work overnight but the oil will come out all black and nasty next time you change it.
SBJ pretty much hit it on the head. The problem with trying to remove carbon deposits basically runs into three categories:

1) If you do top-down cleaning, such as spraying cleaner from the top, shoving any cleaner down the throttle body throat, etc...that carbon has to go somewhere. Stuff forced from the throttle body goes into the combustion chamber, and what doesn't burn out the back, gets left on piston tops and spark plugs. So plan on replacing spark plugs, or at least clean/regap afterward.

2) Anytime you plan an anti-carbon program, switch to high octane, high quality fuel for a while, such as Chevron Supreme. Helps in the burning-out the crap process.

3) When you decide to go the whole smash and get rid of as much carbon as you can, run the Rislone for fifty miles and then change the oil. This is done at the same time just after you do the top-down cleaning.

You know, you see all those videos where running this or that cleans off the tops of pistons. Truth is, the only thing that will really clean that out is by pulling off the head and going that route. Is it worth it? Not unless you have a quarter inch or more of carbon sitting on the piston tops, otherwise...probably not.

When I've done the Whole Smash on a Nissan, this is what I do:

Clean the throttle body from the top thoroughly and change the gaskets, clean the other items other folks here have already named.

Run the Rislone. Dump the oil. Put in one full quart of Lucas, and then four more quarts of high-quality oil. Put new plugs in, maybe even one step hotter on the heat range. Change the oil filter. Run Supreme gas.

Personally, I think these trucks run better on 92 octane. Nissan Z cars, the older ones with the six-banger, say supreme is the standard fuel for those. (Min 91 octane) Don't know if that has anything to do with you, but I saw it in the manual for my 82.

If you do all those things mentioned above, one REALLY good way to burn out the crap is to take the truck for a good, level, long-distance, freeway run. Like a hundred miles each way with only one exit each way. It's a good final step. Then do the Rislone/Oil Change one more time and do it only a thousand miles later, not three thousand. Add the Lucas again and you should be PDC. (*pretty damn clean*)

1997 King Cab XE, 5-sp, canopy, AC/PS, KA4E, 109,000 miles. Need a technical manual? Drop me a message.

Last edited by XoXSciFiGuy; 05-01-2018 at 06:35 AM.
XoXSciFiGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 06:57 AM   #5
Bluebeast23

Thanks guys for the tips. I just did the full timing kit with a new oil pump. And just started checking over everything else when I saw the carb. I also noticed that there is a coolant line running to the throttle body. I’m guessing I’ll need to pinch that off before I pull it?
I’ve got OCD pretty bad lol and start going way too far lol. So far I have done full timing kit, new water pump, Nissan thermostat, new upper and lower radiator hoses, new oil pump, spark plugs, plug wires, cap and rotor, fuel filter, spectra air filter, PCV valve, break and clutch fluid flush, new drive belt, and new tires. I have a new IAC ready to go on but was turned off putting it on when I saw the coolant line in the throttle body.
Old 05-01-2018, 07:07 AM   #6
XoXSciFiGuy

You're not OCD...you have a truck almost a quarter-century old. Maintanance like that is expected sometimes...and normal. Look at it this way: Suppose you lived in 1972 right now. And you owned a 1948 truck. Same thing.

EDIT: I should have mentioned that if you want to get really crazy, you can always drop your oil pan and scrape/clean it out good. That gets rid of a LOT of crap.

1997 King Cab XE, 5-sp, canopy, AC/PS, KA4E, 109,000 miles. Need a technical manual? Drop me a message.

Last edited by XoXSciFiGuy; 05-01-2018 at 07:14 AM.
Old 05-01-2018, 07:17 AM   #7
Bluebeast23

Did that when I did the timing kit as I went ahead and put a new oil pan gasket on. I also when to the junk yard and got another valve cover took it to work soaked it in the parts cleaner then scrub it pretty good.
Thanked by:
XoXSciFiGuy (05-01-2018)
Old 05-01-2018, 07:24 AM   #8
XoXSciFiGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluebeast23 View Post
Did that when I did the timing kit as I went ahead and put a new oil pan gasket on. I also when to the junk yard and got another valve cover took it to work soaked it in the parts cleaner then scrub it pretty good.
Okay, I'm impressed. It's always fun pulling that cross member to do all that. I think you know exactly what you're doing.

Old 05-01-2018, 07:35 AM   #9
Bluebeast23

The only thing I’m Leary on is the coolant line running to the throttle body. Anything In specific I need to look for or watch out for?
Old 05-01-2018, 03:28 PM   #10
SBJ
Total Buzzkill

Vehicle: '90 D21 4cyl 5spd 2wd

No need to sweat over the coolant lines. You can just stick a bolt in the end to keep it from dripping. There isn't much coolant in the throttle body at all, it's just for operating the wax solenoid. Maybe a tablespoon or two but that's all. If you want to replace the lines while you're at it regular old 5/16" heater hose will work fine.

Also, it's much easier to get at the screws for the IAC with the throttle body out of the truck.
SBJ is online now   Reply With Quote