Go Back   Infamous Nissan - Hardbody / Frontier Forums > Tech Area > Engine and Drivetrain

Old 04-13-2018, 01:04 PM   #11
alabama_lowlife
Owner and Administrator

Vehicle: 2011 Nissan Frontier, 08 altima, 1970 Datsun 521, 1995 Nissan Hardbody
Thanked 1,557 Times in 1,271 Posts

Take the belts off one at a time to see if you can determine which one it is.
Old 04-15-2018, 01:03 PM   #12
thisandnothingmore

Vehicle: 1995 Nissan truck

Thanks for all the advice everyone... after some trial and error, adjusting and a shitload of belt dressing, i have narrowed it down to a squeaking power steering pulley. i have a full fluid level so.. bearings? whole power steering pump?
thisandnothingmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 03:26 PM   #13
91nissan94

Vehicle: 91nissan hb

You get a rebuild kit for $15. Alot cheaper than a new pump and can be done with basic hand tools. Rockauto or similar should have it.
91nissan94 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 10:35 PM   #14
thisandnothingmore

Well after *more* trial and error I've discovered it wasn't power steering, but alternator belt. due to a tensioner bolt twisted in two and no longer tensioning. after a new belt ( and gates brand belt, just for good measure) i have solved the squeak. thanks for all the advice everyone.
Old 04-24-2018, 06:37 PM   #15
thisandnothingmore

Okay so i have found something interesting... it appears the new bolt is being bent by the tensioner somehow, and probably this was the cause of the original bolt breaking. Familiar to anyone?
Old 04-24-2018, 10:36 PM   #16
Cusser

Vehicle: 2004 Frontier

Quote:
Originally Posted by thisandnothingmore View Post
Okay so i have found something interesting... it appears the new bolt is being bent by the tensioner somehow, and probably this was the cause of the original bolt breaking. Familiar to anyone?
My alternator tensioner bolt bent too, on my 1998 4-cylinder; make sure to adjust tension, and then tighten the two other alternator mounting bolts. From my thread http://www.infamousnissan.com/forum/...t=39952&page=2

"it was the day to replace the drive belts, at least two were a decade old. I removed the PS belt and loosened the AC belt and dropped that in place, was definitely the alternator/fan belt causing the start-up squeal. I bought the replacement belts from Rock Auto, Bando and Gates, all top quality and shipped from same warehouse. I noticed that the adjustment bolt for the alternator/fan belt was bent (top, actually bent more than the photo shows), so removed that and did not have a replacement that was of enough length and full 8 x 1.25mm thread. I used a slightly-shorter belt for the alternator/fan (Gates #7350 instead of #7355 detailed) and now I have more adjustment potential.

Since I had some parts yard bolts of same length but shorter thread (middle), I cut new threads on one (bottom). But i decided to bicycle to Ace hardware and they had bolt of correct length and full thread for $1.69 so I got that, but it's not JIS, uses a 13mm wrench.

Replacement of the belts was straightforward, but at first had a noise from the AC idler; even though the adjustment seemed pretty tight, I had to adjust it tighter because the AC idler was contacting the pulley on the compressor, making noise. There is just not much clearance there, maybe because my AC idler is Gates #36116 (aftermarket) as I replaced that like 5 years ago when the factory one seized.
2004 Frontier King Cab (2WD, 5-speed, 4-cylinder, 98.5K), 1998 Frontier regular cab (2WD, 5-speed, 4-cylinder 225K), 1988 Mazda B2200 (2WD, 5-speed, 4-cylinder, 214K), 1971 VW Convertible (140K), 2005 Yukon (180K), 1970 VW (260+K)
Cusser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 11:53 PM   #17
thisandnothingmore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cusser View Post
My alternator tensioner bolt bent too, on my 1998 4-cylinder; make sure to adjust tension, and then tighten the two other alternator mounting bolts. From my thread http://www.infamousnissan.com/forum/...t=39952&page=2

"it was the day to replace the drive belts, at least two were a decade old. I removed the PS belt and loosened the AC belt and dropped that in place, was definitely the alternator/fan belt causing the start-up squeal. I bought the replacement belts from Rock Auto, Bando and Gates, all top quality and shipped from same warehouse. I noticed that the adjustment bolt for the alternator/fan belt was bent (top, actually bent more than the photo shows), so removed that and did not have a replacement that was of enough length and full 8 x 1.25mm thread. I used a slightly-shorter belt for the alternator/fan (Gates #7350 instead of #7355 detailed) and now I have more adjustment potential.

Since I had some parts yard bolts of same length but shorter thread (middle), I cut new threads on one (bottom). But i decided to bicycle to Ace hardware and they had bolt of correct length and full thread for $1.69 so I got that, but it's not JIS, uses a 13mm wrench.

Replacement of the belts was straightforward, but at first had a noise from the AC idler; even though the adjustment seemed pretty tight, I had to adjust it tighter because the AC idler was contacting the pulley on the compressor, making noise. There is just not much clearance there, maybe because my AC idler is Gates #36116 (aftermarket) as I replaced that like 5 years ago when the factory one seized.
A+ advice, worked perfectly.