Go Back   Infamous Nissan - Hardbody / Frontier Forums > Model Specific > Hardbody Forum (D21)

Old 04-28-2018, 02:17 AM   #71
nothingtoseehere

Vehicle: 1987 z24i 4x4

the 4wd worked fine, then one day, before the computer switch, i tried to hoof it up to my friend's house, he lives on a gnarly hill, it crapped out in 4h, now it repeats that same thing, just no power in 4h, i haven't tried 4low...

my tire size is: 31x10.50r15
nothingtoseehere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 02:22 AM   #72
nothingtoseehere

Vehicle: 1987 z24i 4x4

Quote:
Originally Posted by XoXSciFiGuy View Post
Loss of power on the brake push might mean vacuum leak around the brake booster hose. Where it goes into the manifold. Does it have a clamp on the hose end? Some SLIGHT loss of power might be normal, but not a lot, and not any 'missing' or stumble.

Have you tried taking it up a steep hill in 4WD HIGH? What does it
going up a steep hill in 4high in first, it just stumbles and stalls. not enough power.
nothingtoseehere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 02:23 AM   #73
jp2code
Software Developer

Vehicle: 94 LB 2x4 Manual VG33e
Thanked 1,080 Times in 952 Posts

11, 22, 33, 44 and 55 means it is telling you Mode 1, Mode 2, Mode 3, Mode 4 and Mode 5.

Once you see one of those blinks, flip the switch over to select that mode. You want Mode 3, and read the codes from there.

There is a video in my signature below.
1994 VG30E to VG33E with H256 Cams

jp2code is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 09:02 AM   #74
XoXSciFiGuy

Vehicle: 1997 D21 King Cab XE 2WD

Quote:
Originally Posted by nothingtoseehere View Post
going up a steep hill in 4high in first, it just stumbles and stalls. not enough power.
Gotta get the proper CODE. Time to pull the passenger seat out, get yourself a teeny-tiny screwdriver to flip the switch, and get the code RIGHT.

Have a piece of paper and pencil to write down the code(s).

Do you have the Factory Service Manual for this rig in PDF, with the chapter links? If not...see my signature below. Sounds like you need it if you don't have it. The FSM lays out the process for getting your codes properly and is easy to understand. Using the PDF, you can even print up the pages you need from your computer beforehand and take them with you while you are working on the ECCM. As primitive as this OBD 1 system is, if you do it right, you can find out what is wrong. Like a lot of 80's tech, you actually have to do some work...to MAKE it work.

1997 King Cab XE, 5-sp, canopy, AC/PS, KA24E, 113,000 miles. Need a technical manual? Drop me a message. Chilton's for amateurs.
XoXSciFiGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2018, 04:06 PM   #75
kingbuzo

Vehicle: 1986 nissan d21 4x4

Quote:
Originally Posted by nothingtoseehere View Post
i don't expect this to go anywhere, but here's the piece that i have identified as malfunctioning.

the picture where the screwdriver is touching the two nodes is the point of contact, that, when touched, the ecu comes on. however, it doesn't come on happy, it heats up really fast when it has power.

on the otherside is the head of a screw which holds that green thing in place. that's the screw i messed with that caused the thing to short out.
i would resolder the other side of that pin that turns on ecu..cold solder joint...then clean and replace the thermal compound on the green thing you refer to...that transfers heat to the body of the unit for cooling...like a cpu on motherboard...just a suggestion..

i see that this has now been covered...sry..should have read whole thread

Last edited by kingbuzo; 05-05-2018 at 04:16 PM.
kingbuzo is offline   Reply With Quote