Go Back   Infamous Nissan - Hardbody / Frontier Forums > Model Specific > Hardbody Forum (D21)

Old 05-01-2018, 07:04 AM   #11
h.stickeye

Vehicle: 91 Nissan Navara d21 Single Cab

What i am really trying to get at is that people say you NEED to overfill it as per TSB. This is entirely wrong.
h.stickeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 07:42 AM   #12
XoXSciFiGuy

Vehicle: 1997 D21 King Cab 2WD

Quote:
Originally Posted by h.stickeye View Post
What i am really trying to get at is that people say you NEED to overfill it as per TSB. This is entirely wrong.
You are right according to factory specs. But since the gear oil is not pressurized, and has a vent including your shifter area, it won't hurt to overfill that trans by a bit.

You know...the manual says 4.5 quarts for your ENGINE oil. I always use a quart of Lucas, and then four whole quarts. Never had a problem with blowing any oil-related gasket going a half-quart over the recommended. Sometimes a LITTLE more lube is okay.

*Warning - This advice comes to you from an Old School guy.*

1997 King Cab XE, 5-sp, canopy, AC/PS, KA4E, 109,000 miles. Need a technical manual? Drop me a message.
XoXSciFiGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 08:26 PM   #13
street_rulerr

Vehicle: 1996 4x4 5spd

Quote:
So in summary, u can overfill a little for the 4 cyl, but that is not based off any need.

youre sort of right but youre sort of wrong too.

the TSB stems from starvation of a bearing that gets exposed on long uphill climbs. While the drain plug was moved on some cases to allow for more oil to be added by the standard method of "full till it runs out of the case" it doesnt mean that theres no need to do it on other transmissions.

with the shifter out of my FS5w71C transmission it was clear the the amount of oil called for by the manual was BARELY adequate on flat ground. on any sort of extended climb or hill you are getting into the "danger zone" of oil starvation. im not sure if any gear acts like a paddle wheel and throws oil but assuming there isnt a paddle wheel effect, its an uncomfortable amount of oil.

with an extra quart the shafts were submerged about 66% of the way, or a little past half. I feel substantially better about this level of oil in a 4cyl transmission as its non-pressurized and vented case.

just because the tsb doesnt call it out explicitly doesnt mean its not applicable. manufacturers limit the range of effectivity for all sorts of reasons.

Last edited by street_rulerr; 05-02-2018 at 12:53 AM.
street_rulerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 09:00 PM   #14
h.stickeye

Once again, more conflicting information. Street says the case is pressurised, Sci fi says its not. Also the TSB is not for the fs5 at all.
Old 05-01-2018, 09:03 PM   #15
h.stickeye

Also Street u said in earlier post that everything was clearly sitting in oil. And does anyone have hard mechanical proof that the gears would be starved in uphill climb. Sounds like conjecture to me.
Old 05-02-2018, 12:53 AM   #16
street_rulerr

Vehicle: 1996 4x4 5spd

Quote:
Once again, more conflicting information. Street says the case is pressurised, Sci fi says its not. Also the TSB is not for the fs5 at all.

i fucked that. IS NOT pressurized. not pressure. not....i fucked it.

the proof in oil starved is kinda...well i hate to say this but common sense. the gear was not deep in oil, the balls seemd to be partially submerged on the bottom. (HI-OOOOOOOOOO) but i understand why it is considered substantial. BUT, if i were climbling a steep grade like a pass or something, it could be problematic. I (cant make that a bigger letter for emphasis) would be uncomfortable with the stock level in that incident.

i say steep, i mean like stEEEEEP steep. 3rd gear, all out kinda thing.
street_rulerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 04:37 AM   #17
XoXSciFiGuy

Look...let's make this simpler.

Engine oil is pressurized. Sure. You put eight quarts in there, you gonna blow some seals and gaskets. Right?

Manual transmission: There is a vent provided. If there was too much gear oil (GL4 ONLY!) in there somehow, it would just dribble out the vent anyway. No pressure inside. Gear oil just gets tossed around by the normal movement of the parts inside. It's no big deal. If you filled the thing right up to the top of the shifter, all that will happen is some will come back out later through the vent, especially on steep hills. There is a SMALL possibility that if you really filled it up THAT far, eventually the rear seal might start leaking, but it's doubtful. You can go a quart over the recommended amount and its no sweat all the way. You probably should anyway, but I wouldn't fill it up to the shifter, NO.

Differential/Rear End: Same thing. There is a vent provided on the BACK of the diff. It's up kinda near the top. Too much in there? Just comes out for you at the vent. It's a one-way valve thing. Lets air and too much gear oil OUT, and very little IN.

Reason I think they provide vents, but it's just a theory: Because all those gears turning probably creates air bubbles in the oil, which need a place to escape. It's the only thing I can think of on why.

1997 King Cab XE, 5-sp, canopy, AC/PS, KA4E, 109,000 miles. Need a technical manual? Drop me a message.

Last edited by XoXSciFiGuy; 05-02-2018 at 04:45 AM.
Thanked by:
h.stickeye (05-02-2018)
Old 05-02-2018, 06:02 AM   #18
h.stickeye

Thanks for that Sci Fi.

But can we please stop saying there is a TSB for the FS5, when there is most definitely not, and never will be.

I know its a bit of a quibble right now, but we also need to stop saying you HAVE to fill half a quart more, because it just isn't true.

For people like me, and I am sure there are others out there, these small differences in language mean a lot.
Old 05-06-2018, 10:21 AM   #19
XoXSciFiGuy

I never believed in the four and a half quart thing for either Nissan motors, or the old Datsuns. I think you will get better lube to many of these engines by adding a quart of Lucas first, and then four more quarts of the recommended oil.

From the movie Used Cars: 'Fifty bucks never killed anybody...'

It may have killed Luke Fuchs, but half a quart over won't kill a Nissan engine.

https://youtu.be/_Ip8gspFaH8