Go Back   Infamous Nissan - Hardbody / Frontier Forums > Infamous Nissan > General Discussion

Old 03-05-2018, 07:38 PM   #1
estetic
ADMIN

Vehicle: 91 HB
Default Bagged and registered Pennsylvania?

Any current/active members bagged and residing in PA? May be a relocation on the horizon and I wanted to ask some questions...
Old 03-05-2018, 08:40 PM   #2
moto135

Vehicle: 1989 Hardbody

Not bagged, but live in PA and am fairly familiar with the rules. If its not your daily driver, I'd say the easiest way to register it would be to get antique plates because then it wont require any PA safety or emissions inspections and the registration is good for as long as you own the vehicle. The draw backs are you can't technically drive it at night and your not supposed to use it for work transportation.

Otherwise I think you would have to get a specially constructed title that covers modifed vehicles and that requires a one time enhanced safety inspection ($500 cost)
moto135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 09:58 PM   #3
86.5KC

Vehicle: Nissan D21 1986.5, King Cab, Z24i, 5speed, 2wd

Hello
I moved to PA with a different truck that was bagged and body dropped. I never had issues with the standard inspections, even before I found my current mechanic. I was asked about them by one inspection station in York, PA in 1998 when I had to go through my first anual safety inspection. My answer to the garage was" Its just a smaller version of an airspring that the Semi Tractors use for adjusting the weight capacity" ..... I did not show them the truck at any height other than ride height...... That is the only time I was asked about it. I sold that truck in 2013 so it made it through ~15 years worth of inspections without troubles. The truck did have nylon limit straps so that it could be put on a lift without destroying the bags......
Hope that helps
86.5KC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 11:06 AM   #4
moto135

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86.5KC View Post
Hello
I moved to PA with a different truck that was bagged and body dropped. I never had issues with the standard inspections, even before I found my current mechanic. I was asked about them by one inspection station in York, PA in 1998 when I had to go through my first anual safety inspection. My answer to the garage was" Its just a smaller version of an airspring that the Semi Tractors use for adjusting the weight capacity" ..... I did not show them the truck at any height other than ride height...... That is the only time I was asked about it. I sold that truck in 2013 so it made it through ~15 years worth of inspections without troubles. The truck did have nylon limit straps so that it could be put on a lift without destroying the bags......
Hope that helps
That's even better. It may be the area I'm from but I've gotten hassled for frame modifications to lifted trucks. Like I said though it could be specific to my area because it seems like everyone had it out for lifted trucks, I've had a lot of trouble getting my vehicles inspected.
Old 03-06-2018, 01:39 PM   #5
estetic
ADMIN

Yea - was looking into alternate registrations, its not a daily so not super worried about 'restrictions'... Its currently registered as a 'street rod' in MD - no inspections or emissions etc but has restrictions on use that most townie cops don't really know - and are not hard to justify since I don't commute in it. I am 'older' and usually have a kid or 2 stuffed in the truck so that goes a long way haha

More worried about the 4 link/frame notch being an issue or the chevy v8 lacking any sort of emissions components - should probably throw some shocks on the front end as well haha...

Thanks for the replies folks.
Old 03-07-2018, 11:24 AM   #6
moto135

If your title is already branded as a street rod then that designation may carry over into PA, not sure on that one though. However in PA street rods have to be older than 1949 and I think they still require annual inspections.

4 linked stuff is what I have had trouble with in the past, but its probably all in what area you're going to and who you have inspecting it.

I'd say the easiest way if you have any trouble is the antique plate route. You just bring your title to a notary and tell them you want antique plates, fill out the paper work, then they send you the plate in the mail. No inspections, pictures, receipts etc to get the plate.

So what part of PA are you thinking of moving to?
Old 03-08-2018, 01:47 PM   #7
estetic
ADMIN

yea street rod in MD is sorta a work around - 25 years old and substantially modified from factory, no commercial, can't be a daily and should only be used in exhibition... the application process is just the title saying its 25 years old haha. MD also has historic plates for 20 year old vehicles that gets around inspection and emission but people abuse the shit out it and its getting more restrictive.

Looking around in south hanover/york county area.