Go Back   Infamous Nissan - Hardbody / Frontier Forums > Tech Area > Performance and Drifting

Old 04-06-2014, 05:07 PM   #1
Voodoo

Vehicle: D21 1994-95
Default Mustang 302 swap questions

Like I said in my introduction, I'm planning to build a drift truck. I will probably never go as far as Pejsa or ASR crazy truck's but I want to have enough performance and reliability to have fun on a track!

My original plan was to swap a Subaru EG33 from a SVX but the lack of solid RWD transmission (converted) makes me fear a little. I saw some people convert their 2.5L transmission and many broke them while drifting with only 165lbs of tq. The EG33 have 240! To have a solid Subaru transmission, I have to go with an STI one which will bust my budget.

I'm now exploring other options like V8s but my knowledges in them are very limited... I'm more a Subaru and Japanese mechanic guy!!! I spent a lot of time reading on drift setup but I didn't find alot of information on people using Mustang 5L setup.
Is it because the engine isn't enough strong?
Or is it because the manual transmission is weak?
And about size, is this setup bigger than a GM small block?

I'm asking because I found a 1992 mustang complete swap at a fair price.

Thanks
Voodoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 09:02 PM   #2
rkyclrk

Vehicle: 1995 Nissan truck

302/5L Should be a pretty sweet swap. I like the fact that all the fuel injected models are multi point. They are smaller than small block chevys because they have a shorter deck height. The distributer is in the front which helps with swaps sometimes. If its stock hopefully the stock transmission would be strong enough. My close friend is building a 65 mustang and is going to have 350-400 crank hp. He is using a world class t5 and an 8.8 rear end and he seems to think it should hold up. It is really hard to know because you hear a lot of crap about t5 trannys and a lot of people still trust them. It must be because there are tons of variations and maybe the strength varies with each one depending on the application.
rkyclrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 09:43 AM   #3
TC87

Vehicle: 97 Nissan Hardbody

My buddy has a built 306 (302 bored) and runnin 100 shot of NOS through the stock t5 with 8.8 rear end with drag radials and only issues he's had was with the clutch but his new one seems to be holding up and last pass of the year he snapped an axle shaft coming off the line. So my advice is use a good clutch don't skimp out and you should be good.
TC87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 03:23 AM   #4
PMoney

Vehicle: 1987 - D21 2wd

There's multiple companies who make rebuild kits for the T-5 with beefier parts, as well pre-built units of course. Same thing with the T-3650 (although i think you need an adapter plate to bolt up to a 302 since it was for the later 281/4.6) If you've got the stock 8.8 axle in the back, you'd be more likely to grenade the pumpkin or snap an axle with enough power and slicks. You're drifting though, so you should be fine. If you were dragging it, then that'd go bad pretty quick. There's not a whole lot of resistance in the drive train when you're sliding, just use enough power to stay loose. Also, aftermarket parts for the 302 are easy to find.

I've got a stroked and blown 4.6 (now technically a 5.0 with the stroker) putting a little over 500 hp to the pavement with stock 8.8 diff, axles, and t-3650 with a spec stage II clutch (or whichever one is rated for 500 hp). Zero issues so far as long as i don't through slicks on her. Makes me wanna swap the Nittos 555Rs off the back for something more drift friendly sometimes though...
Old 04-14-2014, 06:29 PM   #5
MYL3S

Vehicle: Nissan Hardbody 1993

I'm definitely a ford guy (I own and dd two ford rangers), but the best v8 swap would probably be a 350. When you look at it the best explanation is with a chevy engine its $1= 1 horsepower while with a ford its $2=1 horsepower. So it's about twice as expensive for a ford engine as it is for a chevy.
MYL3S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 08:59 PM   #6
fbccars924
Trash Panda

Vehicle: 92 SE V6 5Spd(Carlos, vg33 Swapped), 99 Tahoe SSV 4x4 (Dirty Hoe)

^ depends on where you're at around here their in a dead heat price wise. Now Dodge on the other hand is $5= .5hp and they'll leak oil and the trans will give out every 2-3 weeks. Dodge really is like the Harley of the car world.

Quote:
Originally Posted by C_Case View Post
mine's a complete shitheap, bought from a guy who hacked it, who bought it from a complete retard.
i put 3k on it with a horrible rod knock before it barfed up a tranny.
it's ugly, loud, uncomfortable and smelly, but i'll be damned if it's not reliable.
fbccars924 is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Miggz707 (04-15-2014)
Old 04-15-2014, 12:32 AM   #7
rkyclrk

Vehicle: 1995 Nissan truck

Where can you buy a complete/running 350chp sbc for $350. Stock 350 chevys are no more than 2xxchp and you would be stealing it in good condition for $350. I thought $1k for a stock reman 350 chevy intake to pan is a reasonable price, then you have to ad $$$ for distributor, carb, wires headers air cleaner, ect. Unless you mean a $50 bolt on part that gains 50hp which is still pretty insane. I doubt an edelbrock intake would gain you 50chp alone and would be a killer deal for $50. Maybe I am missing something.
rkyclrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 03:09 AM   #8
fbccars924
Trash Panda

^Dollar for dollar the SBC is the cheapest to mod and make power on because they have been making them the same for so long. Ford was still making flatheads when the SBC as we know it was released. Dodge and Ford both have overgone 2 Major redesigns to their small block range prior to the LS's release and That was the Chevy's first real new and standing redesign(the LT series didn't really hang around and wasn't a huge departure from the GenI and II SBC's outside of the cooling system)

Quote:
mine's a complete shitheap, bought from a guy who hacked it, who bought it from a complete retard.
it's ugly, loud, uncomfortable and smelly, but i'll be damned if it's not reliable.
Old 04-15-2014, 04:01 AM   #9
Voodoo

Vehicle: D21 1994-95

Thanks for your answers!! I didn't consider the distributor position but this rise more my interest in 302 swap!

I like the relation you guys do between $ and hp!! But my project is to keep the motor stock. Since my goal is only to drift, I'm sure a stock small bloc will have enough power to do that!! If I would be able to find a complete running 350 swap with manual trans, I would buy it but they are always automatic and/or always missing many parts...

That say, I'm open to anything reliable with great torque, a solid manual transmission and a price around thousand for the hole swap!!!

Also, I found a swap 2009 4.6L with the T3650 at 1500$ but I'm a bit worried by wiring and so much sensors maintenance... I spent many hours to weld wires on my Outback when I swaped it and I don't want to waste that time on a fun drift car!

The 8.8 diff you are mentionning, is it a solid axle? Because my original plan was to keep the Nissan rear end and only weld the diff. Maybe swap for a Dana 44 but from what I saw on ASR truck, the Nissan diff seems to be enough resistant.
Voodoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 04:06 AM   #10
fbccars924
Trash Panda

Well, any time you swap a V8 into one of these 3k is the low end for all the work being done by yourself not including beer money if applicable. For 1k you might find a running VG out of Z31 and a Z31 ECU. If you have the VG already just get the heads, cams and ECU from the Z31 NA and you should gain a few ponies and a little extra rpm.

Quote: