Go Back   Infamous Nissan - Hardbody / Frontier Forums > Model Specific > Hardbody Forum (D21)

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-26-2020, 12:48 PM   #21
nunya
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: Southeast
Posts: 973
Vehicle: nissan d21 93 kingcab 2wd
Thanks: 287
Thanked 217 Times in 180 Posts
Default

Your picture explains the problem to me clearly! Your brake AND clutch master cylinders are on the wrong side of the vehicle! That silly girl at the factory was messing about again. Seriously, if you follow the hydraulic line from the clutch master(yellow cap) you might find a "damper" This component cab be bled, some guys delete it. I gutted mine. You might already understand that the fluid (I use brake fluid) in your master/slave cylinder is different than the transmission oil IN the transmission, right? BOA SORTE !
nunya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 12:56 PM   #22
jp2code
Software Developer
 
jp2code's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Longview, TX [USA]
Age: 51
Posts: 10,222
Vehicle: 94 LB 2x4 Manual VG33e
Thanks: 1,627
Thanked 1,435 Times in 1,263 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunya View Post
if you follow the hydraulic line from the clutch master(yellow cap) you might find a "damper" This component cab be bled, some guys delete it. I gutted mine.
If you wish to remove the clutch damper, here is a great write-up with parts you need to do the job:

Clutch Damper Elimination Bypass D21 P/U
__________________
Joe (not a mechanic!) Don't have an account? EMAIL ME
Factory Service Manuals: https://www.nicoclub.com/FSM/Hardbody/
Walk-through: Checking Nissan Trouble Codes
1994 VG30E to VG33E with H256 Cams

jp2code is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
nunya (11-26-2020)
Old 11-28-2020, 11:32 AM   #23
PFDSA
 
Join Date: Nov 2020
Location: Japan
Posts: 31
Vehicle: 1988 Datsun Truck D21
Thanks: 34
Thanked 6 Times in 3 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunya View Post
Your picture explains the problem to me clearly! Your brake AND clutch master cylinders are on the wrong side of the vehicle! That silly girl at the factory was messing about again. Seriously, if you follow the hydraulic line from the clutch master(yellow cap) you might find a "damper" This component cab be bled, some guys delete it. I gutted mine. You might already understand that the fluid (I use brake fluid) in your master/slave cylinder is different than the transmission oil IN the transmission, right? BOA SORTE !
Indeed it is on the wrong side! But you get used to it

Took me some time, but finally realized they use completely different fluids.

Followed your instructions and looked everywhere and didn't find that part. Guess this model doesn't have it?

Also replaced the transmission oil with Nissan 75w85, but didn't sadly didn't resolve the problem.
PFDSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 03:35 PM   #24
rockcrawls
 
rockcrawls's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: A bubble
Posts: 259
Vehicle: 1991 D21 4wd 4cyl, Case 580D backhoe loader
Thanks: 56
Thanked 32 Times in 31 Posts
Default

I had a similar shifting problem. I'm not sure what finally fixed it. If I had it to do all over again I would put as much tranny fluid in it as possible to see if that made it shift better.
In the end, I ended up putting 1-2 qt extra in mine.


Always try the easiest solution first and go from there.
I didn't do a damper delete.
In the order I'd suggest:

The next thing is checking the clutch pedal adjustment.
Then slave cylinder movement.
Bleed the clutch.
Other possible reasons I could think of were dry spline that the release fork moves on or clutch spring fatigue.
You can read my entire clutch replacement job I did in this thread.
http://www.infamousnissan.com/forum/...852#post525852
http://www.infamousnissan.com/forum/...ad.php?t=43331

Last edited by rockcrawls; 11-28-2020 at 03:51 PM.
rockcrawls is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
nunya (11-28-2020)
Old 11-29-2020, 09:59 AM   #25
PFDSA
 
Join Date: Nov 2020
Location: Japan
Posts: 31
Vehicle: 1988 Datsun Truck D21
Thanks: 34
Thanked 6 Times in 3 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockcrawls View Post
I had a similar shifting problem. I'm not sure what finally fixed it. If I had it to do all over again I would put as much tranny fluid in it as possible to see if that made it shift better.
In the end, I ended up putting 1-2 qt extra in mine.


Always try the easiest solution first and go from there.
I didn't do a damper delete.
In the order I'd suggest:

The next thing is checking the clutch pedal adjustment.
Then slave cylinder movement.
Bleed the clutch.
Other possible reasons I could think of were dry spline that the release fork moves on or clutch spring fatigue.
You can read my entire clutch replacement job I did in this thread.
http://www.infamousnissan.com/forum/...852#post525852
http://www.infamousnissan.com/forum/...ad.php?t=43331
Thanks for the suggestions!

So far did the following:
- replaced master cylinder fluid with Dot3 and bled it.
-replaced the transmission oil with 75w85 up until it would leak from the fill plug.
Guess that my next step will be checking the clutch pedal adjustment. Any tips/guides/measurements on how to properly adjust it?

EDIT: Just read your threads and it appears to be the same problem.

When I put the truck in neutral and let go off the clutch pedal there's a real loud rattling sound. It doesn't happen everytime, but when happens it's really loud. If I fully press the clutch pedal, or press it halfway it stops.

First had problems downshifting into 3rd,2nd and first, but now it won't shift up smoothly into those same gears too like it used to.

It could be me imagining things, but by replacing the engine oil it got SLIGHTLY better. Still have problems shifting it tho. Am I looking at a clutch replacement and transmission rebuild?

Last edited by PFDSA; 11-29-2020 at 10:15 AM.
PFDSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 12:25 PM   #26
XoXSciFiGuy
 
XoXSciFiGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Auburn, WA
Posts: 2,944
Vehicle: 1997 D21 King Cab XE 2WD, 1998 Pathfinder.
Thanks: 190
Thanked 525 Times in 478 Posts
Default

Okay...okay. I think what you have going is a bad clutch and pilot bearing.

Sure sounds like it from the latest symptoms and what you have done so far. Need a complete clutch set here. Pilot bearing sounds bad too. Your slave cylinder is probably okay, and the arm that holds the throwout bearing, but everything else needs to be replaced. That's only my humble opinion.

There is a good thread here about doing all that, but I can offer some additional hints. If you can't get the pilot bearing out, stuff it full of white bread mixed with grease and hit the center with a wooden dowel the same size as the center hole around the bearing, using a hammer. Or cut it out carefully. Basically, it's just a fat metal ring stuck in the back of the engine, not a real bearing with rollers and stuff. Just a metal ring. Make sure you grease the front shaft of the tranny before installation, so grease gets on the ring.

While you have the tranny out, replace the rear main engine seal. ALWAYS. Lightly oil the new main seal before installing it.

The top two bolts on the tranny are the hardest to reach. Use long extensions and a 14MM swivel socket. Pulling and re-stuffing is easier with two people, or a tranny jack. You can use a floor jack, but a good size piece of plywood on it works better than the floor jack alone. Your transmission is probably fine, but you should stop driving it until it's fixed, otherwise you could do real damage to it, which is way worse than a clutch replacement.

You can gut your clutch dampener as others have suggested, and it will probably be okay, but Nissan engineers did that to lessen the strain on your driveline, U-joints, and rear end. Good for the truck, but boring shifting.
__________________

1997 King Cab XE, 5-sp, canopy, AC/PS, KA24E, 125,000 miles. Need a technical manual? Drop me a message. Chilton's for amateurs.

Last edited by XoXSciFiGuy; 11-29-2020 at 12:35 PM.
XoXSciFiGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 03:01 PM   #27
rockcrawls
 
rockcrawls's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: A bubble
Posts: 259
Vehicle: 1991 D21 4wd 4cyl, Case 580D backhoe loader
Thanks: 56
Thanked 32 Times in 31 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PFDSA View Post
When I put the truck in neutral and let go off the clutch pedal there's a real loud rattling sound. It doesn't happen everytime, but when happens it's really loud. If I fully press the clutch pedal, or press it halfway it stops.

Is the noise like this?
If so, probably input shaft bearing.
I haven't replaced mine. I just filled with oil through the shifter hole untl the noise stopped.


http://www.infamousnissan.com/forum/...ad.php?t=43416

Last edited by rockcrawls; 11-29-2020 at 03:27 PM.
rockcrawls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2020, 12:14 AM   #28
PFDSA
 
Join Date: Nov 2020
Location: Japan
Posts: 31
Vehicle: 1988 Datsun Truck D21
Thanks: 34
Thanked 6 Times in 3 Posts
Talking

Replaced the clutch disk, cover, release bearing, pilot bearing and the rear engine oil seal as suggested and the problems went away, thank you a lot guys
PFDSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2020, 01:55 AM   #29
rockcrawls
 
rockcrawls's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: A bubble
Posts: 259
Vehicle: 1991 D21 4wd 4cyl, Case 580D backhoe loader
Thanks: 56
Thanked 32 Times in 31 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PFDSA View Post
Replaced the clutch disk, cover, release bearing, pilot bearing and the rear engine oil seal as suggested and the problems went away, thank you a lot guys
Thanks for reporting back!
Any idea of what specifically it could have been? Was your spline dry?
rockcrawls is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
PFDSA (12-12-2020)
Old 12-12-2020, 03:19 AM   #30
PFDSA
 
Join Date: Nov 2020
Location: Japan
Posts: 31
Vehicle: 1988 Datsun Truck D21
Thanks: 34
Thanked 6 Times in 3 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockcrawls View Post
Thanks for reporting back!
Any idea of what specifically it could have been? Was your spline dry?
Found out that the clutch never have been replaced and it had 200.000km, so all the parts were worn out. My truck made the same sound as yours, so I suppose it was the release bearing!
PFDSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 06:15 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.