Go Back   Infamous Nissan - Hardbody / Frontier Forums > Tech Area > Wiring and Electrical

Old 01-22-2015, 02:35 AM   #1
kenmack

Vehicle: Hardbody 1989
Default Fusible Link Melts

While troubleshooting my 1989 KC 4x4 6cyl which would not start, I found the fusible link to have one melted green wire. The not starting problem was solved with a new starter. I also replaced the fusible link. This was a couple of weeks ago.

I noticed today that the fusible link had fried one of it's green wires again. Here are some more facts:

The old fusible link seemed to have not recently melted.

I cannot see that anything is not working when the link was melted.

The starter was replaced before the new link came in and everything seemed to work fine and the truck was operable before the new link was installed.

The new link melted at an undetermined time, but I again cannot see that anything is not working.

My principles want to fix the cause and then replace the link, yet it seems that nothing is wrong otherwise as everything seems to be working fine. What might be wrong?
kenmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 08:31 AM   #2
ahardb0dy
The Post Count Whore

Vehicle: 1993 Nissan Hardbody

Are their 2 green fusible links? The FSM shows 2 green, one seems to go to the ECU, the other one to the ignition switch/ No idea what the one going to the ECU is for.

Current truck - 1993 Nissan Hardbody king cab 2wd
, (formerly owned: 90 Nissan Sentra, 94 Nissan Pathfinder SE 4x4, 05 Nissan Titan, 87 Nissan SE-V6 4x4 king cab, 94 Infiniti Q45t & 80 Datsun 310GX )
ahardb0dy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 09:47 AM   #3
kenmack

The link is one piece but has two brown and two green wires. My diagram has one going to the ECU. Maybe for power? The other one goes to the ignition switch, then branches to some relays and then the fuse box. All systems on the indicated fuses are operational.

In some of my reading, I've come across a person having his link melt when his alternator was not grounded properly and was likely back feeding. I will check my connections there in the morning, but I don't really think I will find anything there as I've not been messing with it lately.
Old 01-05-2017, 03:43 AM   #4
kenmack

Bump in case anyone has any new insight.