Go Back   Infamous Nissan - Hardbody / Frontier Forums > Model Specific > The Other Forum

Old 12-02-2017, 11:07 PM   #21
street_rulerr

Vehicle: 1996 4x4 5spd

this ins only somewhat related, but a friend of mine has one of these as a beater and he said the funniest thing to me the other day. he said "at low speeds in the rain the transmission gets confused and will slam into first gear violently spinning the tires"

i just imagined this pos minivan missing all its seats doing rolling burnouts for no reason.
street_rulerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 12:54 AM   #22
SBJ
Total Buzzkill

Vehicle: '90 D21 4cyl 5spd 2wd

Quote:
Originally Posted by street_rulerr View Post
this ins only somewhat related, but a friend of mine has one of these as a beater and he said the funniest thing to me the other day. he said "at low speeds in the rain the transmission gets confused and will slam into first gear violently spinning the tires"

i just imagined this pos minivan missing all its seats doing rolling burnouts for no reason.
Your imagination was reality a couple of weekends ago (bald tires help too). I had to make sure it ran in ALL throttle positions. Also got it up to about 45-50 on a dirt road straightaway and slammed on the brakes just to make sure the ABS works. It does. The 41TE series are weird transmissions for sure. I think every single one of them bump shifts. Here's some reading if you're interested:

https://www.allpar.com/mopar/transmissions/41TE.html

This is the first vehicle I've bought with the sole intention of beating the piss out of it. Once I'm done with it it's either going to the scrapyard or I'll sell it to someone who only has a few hundred bucks and really needs a running vehicle.
SBJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 05:37 AM   #23
SBJ
Total Buzzkill

I spent all day outside fucking around with the minivan and got a lot done. I bypassed the rear heater entirely and replaced all of the upper end gaskets except for the exhaust manifolds and the head gaskets. Here are a few shots of it going back together. Look how much more room there is with the windshield cowl removed. I should have done that first!

If you look at the back of the firewall and kind of up and to the right you can see where lines for the rear heater core have been disconnected. I'm running a hose from the bypass pipe to the front heater core and another one back to the lower intake.

I also replaced the thermostat while I had the lower intake out.

New injector o-rings. Before going any further I put the battery back in and primed the fuel pump about 5 times to make sure they are seated correctly. Wouldn't want the ones in the back to leak.

Finally, the plenum goes back on. I hooked all the sensors up and started it for a minute just to see if it can roll itself into the garage. I still have to do the water pump and change the oil but the heavy lifting is over. It has a pretty pronounced tapping sound right after starting, but it sounds like it's a lifter and not a rod knock. It'll probably run considerably better after it gets some gas that's newer than 2 years old. I poured a couple gallons of fresh gas in it but there's still half a tank of the old shit in there.

Also, it smells considerably better in there with all the fabric removed. The mold on the dashboard is looking a lot more dead too.
Old 12-05-2017, 07:19 AM   #24
SBJ
Total Buzzkill

Got a lot done today after work...I replaced the water pump and the drive belt then changed the oil and put more coolant in. I took it for a spin afterwards. At first I was reluctant to condemn the head gaskets but I'm pretty sure that's what's going on. It's still losing coolant after fixing the leak and the front heat stops working after a little while. The plan is to take the heads off and check for warpage and/or cracks. Given that this thing has been overheated a number of times I wouldn't be surprised to see some warpage on the heads. There is also a noticeable tapping sound coming from the engine on startup. The rislone helped a bit but I can still hear it. I'm thinking it could be a really bad lifter or maybe even some piston slap.

The good news is there's another identical van as part of the deal. It was parked because of a blown transmission and has been sitting for 3 or 4 years. I am thinking I might end up pulling the motor (or at least the heads) out of it and putting it in this one. If I go the motor swap route I'd also like to tear this one down and see what it looks like inside. I would also like to take the blown transmission apart to see why it failed. This one bumps into drive sometimes and after some reading I am thinking the little filter screens in the solenoid pack may be to blame. Other than that it seems to run and drive just fine.

But I still had fun driving it around. I live out in the BFE now where I can get away with tabs that expired two years ago. Also picked up some snazzy new seat covers for the front seats.

Last edited by SBJ; 12-05-2017 at 07:26 AM.
Old 12-11-2017, 12:00 AM   #25
SBJ
Total Buzzkill

I've been driving it around some more. So far, it's behaving itself pretty well but still losing about a cup of coolant every time I drive it. It will be interesting to see what it looks like with the heads off and if anything is cracked/warped. Since I changed the oil and put a quart of rislone in that tapping sound at startup has all but disappeared. Here's hoping it's just a lifter causing that. This engine is pretty varnished inside. This oil might have 40 miles worth of driving on it:

Lots of rusties in the coolant.

Old 12-15-2017, 06:10 AM   #26
SBJ
Total Buzzkill

Well there's yer problem.

More to come...