Go Back   Infamous Nissan - Hardbody / Frontier Forums > Tech Area > Engine and Drivetrain

Old 09-27-2020, 03:15 AM   #1
AnOrangeBox

Vehicle: 1993 Nissan d21 (Hardbody) 2wd 2.4 base
Default Help! Hardbody dead in the water

About two weeks ago I noticed the slightest knocking in my engine. I tore the front cover and oil pan off and it happened to be the chain guide. Absolutely in pieces in my oil pan. I replaced the timing chain, tensioner and guide. Through this, the distributed broke upon removal so I had to get a new one. After putting er all back together the truck has absolutely no power, and pumps no water. I replaced the water pump and did nothing to help water get flowing. Thermostats has been put in hot water and is in working order. Water into the radiator at the top is hot, lower hose is cold. My best guess right now is that the distributor is out of time which is causing the low power and the idle is so low that the water pump is not spinning fast enough to pump water to the thermostat to warm it up enough to open. As of now truck runs extremely hot, no power and no heat to the vents. Any help is appreciated, thank you!

Update: Driveshaft for the distributer was at least one tooth off. I am now getting coolant flow and heat to the cab. Ignition timing is not quite on time yet, but at least now I know an issue that can be resolved. Gonna go back at it tomorrow.

Last edited by AnOrangeBox; 09-27-2020 at 04:55 AM.
AnOrangeBox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 11:09 AM   #2
alabama_lowlife
Owner and Administrator

Vehicle: 2012 370Z, 1970 Datsun 521, 1995 Nissan Hardbody x2
Thanked 2,006 Times in 1,651 Posts

You need to set the engine to TDC on the compression stroke of the #1 cylinder. Then install the distributor driveshaft in the correct location. Check the pics in this thread for correct orientation of the driveshaft. Just keep in mind that the #1 spark plug on your truck is at 4 o’clock whereas the pictures are of a 97 which is at 1 o’clock. But the distributor shaft has the same orientation regardless.
http://www.infamousnissan.com/forum/...ad.php?t=33948
Old 09-28-2020, 05:06 AM   #3
AnOrangeBox

Vehicle: 1993 Nissan d21 (Hardbody) 2wd 2.4 base

Thanks for the reply! did some tinkering this morning and got her to 15 degrees before TDC, oem speck is 10 so I will set it to that when I find the time
AnOrangeBox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 10:01 AM   #4
alabama_lowlife
Owner and Administrator

Vehicle: 2012 370Z, 1970 Datsun 521, 1995 Nissan Hardbody x2
Thanked 2,006 Times in 1,651 Posts

You probably have the distributor drive shaft one tooth off if you can’t get it to rotate far enough to get it to 10