Go Back   Infamous Nissan - Hardbody / Frontier Forums > Tech Area > Engine and Drivetrain

Old 01-16-2013, 02:23 AM   #1
grndslm

Vehicle: '94 Hardbody (2.4L)
Default How many quarts should I overfill the manual transmission? What's the easiest method?

OK, so I've heard numerous times that the Nissan manual transmissions have a problem getting fluid to the front of the transmission (near the Input Shaft Bearing, etc.). So the recommendation is to support the driver's side of the truck on jack stands, then add as needed.

The FSM says my '94 requires 4.25 pints, which comes out to 2.125 quarts.

I guess I should just empty out all the old stuff and then add 3 quarts? 3.5 quarts?? At what point will it start shooting out the breather tube??

I read ONE person state that this extra gear oil was only necessary for the 4WD, but I feel like that one guy is wrong from the way my ISB is making noise with my foot off the clutch. Seems to be a fairly common problem with Nissan manual transmissions, not just the hardbodies.

Also, I was going to put some good synthetic in this puppy, but I'm not sure if it's worth it just yet. So I got some Valvoline High Performance 80w-90 gear oil mostly because I could buy the whole gallon for $20, and I got an extra quart with spout to use for filling.

(1) The bottle says it meets GL-4 and GL-5 specifications, so I'm guessing that it's good for our transmissions, right?? The synthetic and synthetic blend both did NOT say GL-4, so this is basically the ONLY transmission fluid that's GL-4 compatible and not a full synthetic. I actually found the Lucas 80w-90 synthetic for just $9 a quart, but some reviews said it was TOO thick for differentials, and it certainly felt that way when sloshing it around in the bottle. Hope I made a good choice... for now, at least.

(2) Will it be possible to use this spout on the quart-size bottle in order to fill the transmission? From what I'm reading, it's pretty much mandatory to use a hose, and the easiest way is to shoot it thru the shifter area. Does this mean I actually have to disconnect the shifter??
grndslm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 03:19 AM   #2
HEMI
Death Row

Vehicle: Nissan Hardbody

Find the fill plug; unscrew it. Unbolt your shifter and pour gear oil through the top till it comes out the fill plug. Put fill plug back in; and half a quart and you're good to go. I highly reccomend Amsoil Manual trans gear oil 75w90 GL4 DO NOT use GL5 not matter what the bottle says.

Last edited by HEMI; 01-16-2013 at 03:26 AM.
HEMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Miggz707 (01-16-2013)
Old 01-16-2013, 03:24 AM   #3
Midnight Tech

Location: Back in SC again...in the back of the parts store...
Vehicle: 1986.5 D21 Hardbody 2WD

I second what HEMI says - GL4 ONLY. The sulfur in GL5 is not good for some of the components in the transmission.

Out of Round Tuits....
Midnight Tech is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 03:46 AM   #4
hrd_bdy
my pen is huge

Vehicle: 1988 D21

yep have to use GL4, GL5 wears down brass components aka the synchros. needs to be straight GL-4 fluid, 2 companies i know for sure that make it are Redline and Amsoil. i think Royal Purple maybe does, its not common because usually only older vehicles use GL4 now

ive never filled any of my trannies or worked on any trannies where i filled it from the shifter, i just remove the top fill bolt and add fluid until it starts to drip out and quickly screw the plug back in

current
1979 Toyota Supra 4ME 5spd
1981 Toyota Hilux longbox 22R 4x4 4spd
1991 Toyota Crown Royal Saloon 7MGE auto imported from Tokyo
2000 Chev Silverado 2500 6.0 4x4
hrd_bdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 04:19 AM   #5
SkinnyG
UYFBR

Vehicle: 1994 Hardbody

When I'm putting a tranny ~in~, I fill through the shifter because the shifter had to come out anyway. Otherwise I just fill through the filler.
Old 01-16-2013, 05:05 AM   #6
Piggity

Vehicle: 92' Hardbody

I just did this tonight on my 2wd 90' HB. I used 1 bottle of Redline MTL and 1 bottle of MT90. This combination has worked for me well over the years on rwd manual transmissions. It worked out to be about 1.8L or 2 US quarts. The fluid was just at the top of the fill hole after I filled it up (this was on a 2 post car hoist), so as level as you can get. I did let the original fluid drain for about 20min too.

The easiest way to fill the tranny fluid is to have an old gear/engine oil bottle with a snout or spout on the bottle cap. Cut the snout in half and stick about a 20" length x 3/8" wide clear tube and go from the drivers side wheel well over the frame rail. To do it through the interior, you do have to take the shifter out.

Only use GL-4 fluid, synthetic preferably.

And this fluid is awesome for how smooth it makes the shifts. I don't speed shift, but with regular non-synthetic fluild it takes too long to shift - especially when it gets to -0 Celcius (32F) and lower.
Piggity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 06:47 AM   #7
grndslm

Thanks guys. Didn't realize that most people were only talking about filling the transmission thru the shifter hole after putting the trans back in!! That makes plenty of sense now.

I was thinking about using a clear tube if I needed to. I'm sure I've used one before, but I probly won't be able to find it tomorrow.... so I'll just go buy a new one. Wondering if I should cut a small hole in the bottom of the quart-size jug so that it will flow easier. . . . .

But this leaves me with the most important question of them all saved for last...

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrd_bdy View Post
yep have to use GL4, GL5 wears down brass components aka the synchros. needs to be straight GL-4 fluid, 2 companies i know for sure that make it are Redline and Amsoil. i think Royal Purple maybe does, its not common because usually only older vehicles use GL4 now

ive never filled any of my trannies or worked on any trannies where i filled it from the shifter, i just remove the top fill bolt and add fluid until it starts to drip out and quickly screw the plug back in
I went to 3 stores around me, and the Valvoline, Lucas, and Royal Purple were the ONLY three to mention GL-4... but ALL 3 also mentioned "meets GL-5 specs", too.

Figured the Volvoline would be alright since it pretty much read the same thing as Royal Purple's bottle.

This is the oil I purchased... http://www.autozone.com/autozone/acc...ntifier=972913

On a lot of sites, it won't mention GL-4 at all, and I think this is carried over from their previous line of 831 and 832 product numbers. The new product numbers are VV831 and VV832. The bottle mentions GL-4, GL-5 and MT-1. Then, in Spanish, it says it "meets and exceeds the performance requirements for ... and API Services GL-5 and MT-1" (but in Spanish, of course). And finally, at the bottom, it says in big bold letters: "API SERVICES GL-4, GL-5, MT-1".

I don't know who to believe...

Straight to the source -- Valvoline; even THEIR site still says GL-5 or MT-1: http://www.valvoline.com/products/br...ne/gear-oil/61

Download Product Info - MSDS (in PDF): http://www.valvoline.com/pdf/high_performance_gear.pdf
Quote:
Valvoline High Performance Gear Oils are superior sulfur-phosphorus, extreme pressure gear lubricants formulated with premium quality base stocks to meet the demands for excellent performance. It is designed to provide excellent load carrying capacity, extreme pressure properties, anti-foam performance, demulsibility, corrosion protection, thermal stability protection, and service fill limited slip capability. These products are recommended for conventional rear axles, limited slip rear axles, and transmissions requiring EP gear lubes under high speed, high load, high torque, and high horsepower conditions. Valvoline High Performance Gear Oils meet or exceed API Services GL-5 and GL-4*. The inclusion of Limited Slip Friction Modifier in this product makes it unnecessary to add additional friction modifier (Ford M2C118A, Chrysler MS-5630, or GM1052358) in most vehicles.

*In synchronized manual transmission applications use:
• Valvoline Professional Series Manual Transmission Fluid or
• Valvoline Synchromesh Manual Transmission Fluid (available September 2012)
Sooo.... What you guys are telling me is that it can't say GL-5 at all??!?!??!

That's a bit different than saying "It MUST say GL-4". . . .
Old 01-16-2013, 11:07 AM   #8
alabama_lowlife
Owner and Administrator

Vehicle: 08 altima, 1970 Datsun 521, 1995 Nissan Hardbody x2
Thanked 1,577 Times in 1,289 Posts

YOU CAN'T USE ANYTHING THAT SAYS GL-5 ON THE BOTTLE, ONLY, ONLY, ONLY GL-4. NOT something compatible with BOTH, you have to use ONLY GL-4. What you have purchased is NOT ACCEPTABLE. It is very hard to find GL-4, as GL-5 is acceptable in most vehicles. But not in ours. Ignore the bottle.
Old 01-16-2013, 12:49 PM   #9
HEMI
Death Row

Vehicle: Nissan Hardbody

Your local parts store staff will try to convince you that GL-5 is the same; if they do not carry GL-4; try somewhere else.
HEMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 07:52 PM   #10
grndslm

OK... Returned the Valvoline and ordered the Red Line MT-90.

Figured that, since this truck has over 200k miles.... the thicker MT-90 would be better than Amsoil's MTG. Plus, it was recommended to me that the thicker oil would be better for quieting the Input Shaft Bearing, which is very, very noisy right now.

Gonna try not to drive it until I can do this flush. If the thicker oil helps me out, then I'll know for sure whether my problem is internal or just clutch, throw out bearing. Only way my problem could be throw out bearing is if the clutch isn't adjusted properly, the slave cylinder is leaking, has bubbles, or clutch fork is bent. But this should be a fairly quick way to see if I can get a response from this whiny old bearing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HEMI View Post
Find the fill plug; unscrew it. Unbolt your shifter and pour gear oil through the top till it comes out the fill plug. Put fill plug back in; and half a quart and you're good to go. I highly reccomend Amsoil Manual trans gear oil 75w90 GL4 DO NOT use GL5 not matter what the bottle says.
I'm thinking about just putting the whole 3 quarts in the transmission, considering I think the problem is with the Input Shaft Bearing. Want to keep the trans as quiet as possible.

If you're suggesting 2.625 quarts... then an extra 0.375 quarts can't be that bad, can it??