Go Back   Infamous Nissan - Hardbody / Frontier Forums > Tech Area > Engine and Drivetrain

Old 07-16-2014, 04:16 AM   #1
TOSH.O NO

Vehicle: '95 HB EXT CAB
Default Running crappy after tune up

A couple of weeks ago I tuned up my '95 vg30e. Ran good for a week. Now when I start it up, it sputters and is blowing black smoke out of the exhaust at idle. After I rev it up a couple of times the sputtering goes away and so does the black smoke. But when I go to drive it and got to come to a complete stop, it dies. It'll start right back up and drive and accelerate normally but it'll die when I go to throw it into neutral or push the clutch in. I changed plugs .033 gapped, wires, cap and rotor, pcv valve, air and fuel filter and of course oil and oil filter. Any advice???
TOSH.O NO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 04:32 AM   #2
TOSH.O NO

Again, thanks y'all.
Old 08-03-2014, 05:20 AM   #3
filthy forever

Vehicle: 1980 datsun 720

Check to see you if have any vacuum leaks from all vacuum hoses in they bay as it will draw unmetered air into the intake mani and lean out the air fuel mixture to the point of incomplete combustion. Also clean and check your maf signal voltage at idle and under load, a skewed maf voltage will cause driveAbility concerns like engine stalling, hesitation etc because the ECM can't Ajust injector duration to get a stochiometric air fuel mixture. Also clean your throttle body as carbon
Buildup around the throttle plate won't allow air to bypass the throttle plate when it's closed. Also clean your idle air control valve as carbon buildup can prevent the pintle from
Moving far enough. Also remove your egr valve and slide a credit card under it and reinstall it, too much Egr flow can dilute the air fuel mixture too much to the point of misfires or even stalling.
filthy forever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 05:25 AM   #4
filthy forever

Also the fuel pressure regulator diaphragm might be ruptured causing vacuum to draw fuel into the intake mani. Disconnect the vacuum hose running to it with a fuel pressure gauge hooked up to a port on your fuel rail and engine idling, if the pressure doesn't increase replace the fuel pressure regulator. Also leaky fuel injectors can cause a too rich air fuel mixture hence the black smoke out the tail pipe. 240sx kids always have this problem and it's funny to see them scratch their heads in confusion.
Old 08-03-2014, 05:26 AM   #5
filthy forever

Misread the post so totally ignore my first Reply and focus on the second. Hope it steers your in the right direction.... Oh and with a timing light check your base timing at idle and adjust to spec if necessary
Old 08-03-2014, 05:28 AM   #6
filthy forever

Also clean and check your maf signal voltage with a multimeter, a skewed sensor will cause the ECM to ground the fuel injectors for too long causing a rich air fuel mixture
Old 08-04-2014, 03:07 AM   #7
TOSH.O NO

Thanks bro! It was the MAF harness. Apparently, even if the little metal retaining clip installs like it should, doesn't guarantee the plug is all the way plugged in. I pushed the damn thing in and it cleared up instantaneously.
Old 08-04-2014, 04:08 AM   #8
filthy forever

No problem man glad you found the problem... Now drive the bitch like you stole
It hahahaba