Go Back   Infamous Nissan - Hardbody / Frontier Forums > Model Specific > Hardbody Forum (D21)

Old 03-15-2016, 10:16 PM   #1
JoshJ

Vehicle: 94 se v6 ec lb
Default 94 se v6 oil driping

Im wondering if it is a crank seal or something else. I took a towel and got all the wet stuff off then I started it and oil was dripping from in between the pulley and pan,off the alternator aND up by the oil filer off of some bracket bolted to the block. I cleaned it again and could watch the drip steadily coming from the bracket on the block and dripping down to a plastic loom on the left side of the pan and then it all just seemed to flow together. I'm lost here. Any help is appreciated. .thanks
JoshJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 10:49 PM   #2
VOTS95

Vehicle: 95 XE V6 3.3L Swap 4x4 5 Sp

Oil leaks can be tough to find, I've been fooled before.

When I can't find the source of a leak I'll use an oil dye. I've done this twice and it pin-pointed where the leak was coming from.

GL
VOTS95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 11:11 PM   #3
OldGreyBeast
1986.5 HB 4x4 3.0V6

Vehicle: '86.5 Nissan D21, '87 Mercedes 190D Turbo, '10 Mercedes E350 AWD, '16 Suzuki GSXS1000

I'd check your valve covers first. If they aren't leaking, then it could very likely be the cam or crank seals, or the oil pump itself.

OldGreyBeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 10:45 AM   #4
jp2code
Software Developer

Vehicle: 94 LB 2x4 Manual VG33e
Thanked 1,664 Times in 1,453 Posts

So, you are trying to locate the source of this leak. Correct?

Take the truck by one of those coin operated car washes and give the engine a quick spray down.

Don't spray too long, or you'll get water into the electrical components (like the distributor or the injectors). If water gets into the wrong electrical component, the engine will not crank until the water evaporates.

You can even leave the engine running, just to be sure you can drive away afterwards.

For extra scrubbing power, get a can of engine cleaner or degreaser and spray all around where the oil is flowing. Let that sit about 30 seconds to a couple of minutes before blasting all of the crud off with the car wash's spray wand.

Once the engine is clean and you drive the truck back home, you should be able to see where that oil leak is coming from.

If it is from the front of the engine *AND* the back of the engine, it is most likely coming from the valve cover gaskets.
1994 VG30E to VG33E with H256 Cams

jp2code is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 03:18 PM   #5
street_rulerr

Vehicle: 1996 4x4 5spd

^^^^ absolutely top knotch advice. this is wht i do if the leak isnt apparent right away.

also remember that oil will travel DOWNWARDS. so always look above the oily part to see what could be leaking
street_rulerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 04:12 PM   #6
JoshJ

Thanks for the advice. I will be sure and do that first. I took some pictures of the underside and the amount of oil it is leaving. Funny thing is I pull the dip stick and it's full and clean. I looked at the valve covers but can only see so much and it didn't look like they were leaking but then again I didn't see the whole thing. I have also noticed the truck seems to be stuck in 4 wheel drive because when I turn it makes a loud piping noise when it's cranked all the way. Also when I'm stopped and in gear it feels as if the thing is vibrating or the torque converter is trying to engage or something odd like that. I'm asking all the questions because I'm technically test driving it for a couple days and looking at buying it for a work and fishing vehicle. I'll post the pictures as soon as I'm off work. Thanks again
Old 03-16-2016, 05:02 PM   #7
jp2code
Software Developer

Vehicle: 94 LB 2x4 Manual VG33e
Thanked 1,664 Times in 1,453 Posts

> when I turn it makes a loud piping noise when it's cranked all the way.

Piping or popping? Piping: I dunno what that is. Popping? That would mean it's time for new ball joints.

If the torque converter is messing up, swing by an AAMCO dealership and get a quote for repairs.

Also on the popping: Swing by a wheel & tire shop for a front end alignment. If the ball joints are out, they will say they can't align the front end until those are replaced. Ask how much to do the work, then say you've got to save up a bit.

Once you know what AAMCO and the tire shop are going to charge you with, you'll know what you should adjust your offer by.

You have the truck for a few days to test drive and look it over. Don't waste that time.
1994 VG30E to VG33E with H256 Cams

jp2code is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 07:41 PM   #8
OldGreyBeast
1986.5 HB 4x4 3.0V6

Vehicle: '86.5 Nissan D21, '87 Mercedes 190D Turbo, '10 Mercedes E350 AWD, '16 Suzuki GSXS1000

Is it actually in 4 wheel drive or are the hubs just locked? If it's got manual hubs that's easy enough. If it's the auto hubs you need to go ahead and budget at least a hundred bucks for a set of Mile Marker hubs. I like the Warns myself. They're a little more expensive but bulletproof. Either way, the auto hubs suck.

OldGreyBeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 08:45 PM   #9
JoshJ

Here are the pictures I mentioned. Yes I ment popping. Sorry my phone is not as smart as it thinks it is lol.
First picture is the oil puddle on the ground. There are 2 puddles..I didn't notice it until I moved it. Probably sat for an hour or so.[IMG][/IMG]
The next is a couple of the underside
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]

Next is the area under the motor on the passenger side of the oil pan...it's kind of between the exhaust manifold and block. But mounted to the block I think. To me that bolt is getting really close to where the leak is because I can literally watch it drip a few drops in say 8-10 seconds....any ideas [IMG][/IMG]
Old 03-16-2016, 08:47 PM   #10
JoshJ

I cleaned as much of the oil off of stuff as I could. It always returns to these spots but I think it's just where it all decides to collect going down... maybe it's s bunch of leaks?