Go Back   Infamous Nissan - Hardbody / Frontier Forums > Infamous Nissan > Shows and Get Togethers

Old 09-04-2017, 08:10 AM   #1
XoXSciFiGuy

Vehicle: 1997 D21 King Cab XE 2WD
Default Washington State Olympic Mountains Trip

Well, what the heck. The eclipse campout to Oregon went really well and it's been a long, hot summer. So I've organized another trip to the Olympics where I don't have to be host for a lot of strangers, none of whom drove Nissans anyway.

The Nissan-driving public is invited to a campout at a place called Goober Pond, a small lake in the Olympic Mountains of Washington state, starting Friday afternoon, September 15th, and running through the following Monday. Goober is actually listed on GOOGLE maps by searching out the term 'Goober Pond, Mason County'. It's a few miles past Jefferson Lake and at the end of an Olympic National Forest road. Basically, you go north on Highway 101 out of Shelton, WA and turn left on Jorstad Creek Road. Follow the signs to Elk Lake (first) and then on to Jefferson Lake. Drive past Jefferson Lake and you'll come to a fork in the road. Turn RIGHT. A couple of miles up a tricky (but safe) road, there is a sharp left. The road dead ends at Goober Pond. If you reach a gate, you've gone a bit too far. (Gate blocks vehicle access to the wilderness area.)

Whenever I do these things, I always monitor Channel 14 on the CB from wherever I'm camped, just in case. But you would probably find your way there easily anyway.

I'm going to take the same gear I hauled to Oregon for the eclipse campout. That means the 32" Samsung TV, the DVD player, the stereo, the bathhouse/bathroom setup, etc. The telescope I had to return to its owner. If anyone decides to make the trip, just remember to bring supplies galore to last the whole weekend. It's a long damn way to the store and you really don't want to try driving back to the main highway from up there unless you're headed home.

Fishing, swimming, day hikes, general partying, and safe target shooting are the main activities. After dark we blast the stereo and/or watch movies on the big screen. I power everything using heavy-duty deep cycle batteries with an inverter, and charge them during the day on a small generator when necessary. Far away from camp, of course.

For more information and pictures of the site, check my Facebook page. It's public under Robert M Blevins. You can also find pictures there from the eclipse campout we did near Magone Lake, Oregon.

1997 King Cab XE, 5-sp, canopy, AC/PS, KA24E, 112,000 miles. Need a technical manual? Drop me a message.

Last edited by XoXSciFiGuy; 09-09-2017 at 04:51 AM.
XoXSciFiGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 11:30 PM   #2
dvdswan
Super Moderator

Vehicle: 96 HB

Wish I could make that one.
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2618002
dvdswan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 02:07 AM   #3
SBJ
Total Buzzkill

Vehicle: '90 D21 4cyl 5spd 2wd

Sounds like a blast. I'd be interested in going but I'll probably be busy next weekend. It'd be nice to get one more camping trip in before the end of the summer though. Btw I'm just over in Federal way.
SBJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 04:43 AM   #4
XoXSciFiGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBJ View Post
Sounds like a blast. I'd be interested in going but I'll probably be busy next weekend. It'd be nice to get one more camping trip in before the end of the summer though. Btw I'm just over in Federal way.
Not THIS weekend. (I wish) I'm leaving Friday morning, September 15th and coming back the following Monday. I've had just about enough of this ash, smoke, whatever the heck has been going on around here all summer. I monitor Channel 14 on the CB if you have a radio, and will be in place at the site around 2PM on that Friday. I have HAD it and have to get away for a few days where I know the air is decent.

It's been getting worse each summer. (Since you're up the street in Federal Way, I'm sure you know what I mean.) How long can this go on? What will happen NEXT summer? It's a real problem. I saw the fire and air quality maps at the WA State Dept of Ecology. I stopped counting at sixty current fires in Oregon and Washington. And all that smoke just makes global warming worse for next year. The DOE map site crashed today from so many users. Maybe it's working now.

https://fortress.wa.gov/ecy/enviwa/

1997 King Cab XE, 5-sp, canopy, AC/PS, KA24E, 112,000 miles. Need a technical manual? Drop me a message.

Last edited by XoXSciFiGuy; 09-09-2017 at 05:05 AM.
Old 09-06-2017, 04:02 PM   #5
SBJ
Total Buzzkill

Vehicle: '90 D21 4cyl 5spd 2wd

Quote:
Originally Posted by XoXSciFiGuy View Post
Not THIS weekend. (I wish) I'm leaving Friday morning, September 15th and coming back the following Monday. I've had just about enough of this ash, smoke, whatever the heck has been going on around here all summer. I monitor Channel 14 on the CB if you have a radio, and will be in place at the site around 7AM that Friday. I have HAD it and have to get away for a few days where I know the air is decent.

It's been getting worse each summer. (Since you're up the street in Federal Way, I'm sure you know what I mean.) How long can this go on? What will happen NEXT summer? It's a real problem. I saw the fire and air quality maps at the WA State Dept of Ecology. I stopped counting at sixty current fires in Oregon and Washington. And all that smoke just makes global warming worse for next year. The DOE map site crashed today from so many users. Maybe it's working now.

Hmm...now I'm actually temped to take next Friday off from work. I've only had the time to camp once this summer and it'd be nice to get another trip in before our 9 months of rain starts up again. I got plenty of camping gear as well.
SBJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 05:26 AM   #6
XoXSciFiGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBJ View Post
Hmm...now I'm actually temped to take next Friday off from work. I've only had the time to camp once this summer and it'd be nice to get another trip in before our 9 months of rain starts up again. I got plenty of camping gear as well.
I have sent you a private message...

Old 09-08-2017, 03:08 PM   #7
Scott Turchin

Vehicle: 96 Nissan Hardbody

I can make that but won't be camping overnight - maybe show up Saturday morning.

That up near the steel bridge? (Browns creek?).

Here's a video of our trip up to Trap Pass and beyond
https://vimeo.com/121638245

See my avatar - Trap Pass - that's a campout I'm doing next summer!!
Scott Turchin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 03:15 PM   #8
Scott Turchin

Quote:
Originally Posted by XoXSciFiGuy View Post
And all that smoke just makes global warming worse for next year.

Actually since it is blocking sunlight it is reducing the temperature.

Mt St Helens eruption globally reduced the temperature 1.5 degrees in 1980.

If anything is causing heating besides the natural cycle of the sun, it would be the 750,000,000 lights we leave on at night generating 60w or higher - think about that.... we generate heat at night.

I studied the Vostok ice cores, but that is a debate for another place and time. It is an interesting study - the raw data is online for you to study as well.
Old 09-09-2017, 04:14 AM   #9
XoXSciFiGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Turchin View Post
I can make that but won't be camping overnight - maybe show up Saturday morning.

That up near the steel bridge? (Browns creek?).

Here's a video of our trip up to Trap Pass and beyond
https://vimeo.com/121638245

See my avatar - Trap Pass - that's a campout I'm doing next summer!!
Sort of same area, but not at the steel bridge. You turn into the hills at Jorstad Creek Road, go past Elk Lake, and then past Jefferson Lake. After that, you come to a split in the road. Take a left, and you end up at a nice overlook camp spot. Take a right, and you end up at Goober Pond. If you reach a gate trying to go to the lake, you've gone a little too far. I see you are from Bremerton, though. That means you might want to take the Hamma Hamma Road to reach Jefferson Lake, and not Jorstad Creek Road. SBJ and I are coming from the south side. You would be coming from the north, I guess.

SBJ and I are going out there and leaving Friday morning the 15th. Truth is, we haven't decided on either the lake or the overlook site. We will probably look at both places, although we are leaning toward the lake.

Do you have a CB radio? Thought I saw an antenna on one of the rigs in your video. I will monitor Channel 14. Radio removes from truck easily, and I have a handheld unit as well. You should be able to reach us on 14 easily enough by the time you reach Jefferson Lake. Can't really get lost up there. All the road past Jefferson Lake dead ends either at the pond, basically...or at the other site.

If you just want to Google up the map, use search term 'Goober Pond, Mason County' or Goober Pond, WA. You know the drill, I'll bet.

Watched your video. Nice touch with the drone shots. Some of those spots you guys crossed were kind of hairy. That dead end you reached looked like one hell of a good camping spot, though.

Some pictures attached of the 'Overlook' campsite. I don't have any of Goober Pond, although Google Maps has one for it.

In the picture above, Goober Pond would be tucked away in the lower left corner of the picture. View campsite is on one side of the valley, Goober Pond OTHER side. Jefferson Lake is below, IN the valley, and to the right.

Last edited by XoXSciFiGuy; 09-12-2017 at 08:18 AM.
Old 09-09-2017, 05:39 AM   #10
Scott Turchin

ah so I just hit Google Earth - so while 101 is "20 miles" away LOL It's 8 as the bird flies (Or the drone).

But if you go NORTH 8 miles as the bird flies directly across from the brothers on GoogleEarth you'll see the pic I took of Trap Pass- same setup just 8 miles north of Goober Pond.

With the dry season still here though - no campfires etc...

I may bring my buddy from the video with me, make a day trip out of it...