Go Back   Infamous Nissan - Hardbody / Frontier Forums > Tech Area > Engine and Drivetrain

Old 07-11-2019, 04:59 AM   #1
Topfuel67

Vehicle: Nissan D21 1988
Default 1988 D21 Excessive fuel pressure when trying to start

I'm helping my neighbor's son out with his 1988 Nissan D21 4x4 5 speed 2.4l truck. It won't start. When we turn the ignition to the on position it dumps a couple ounces of fuel into the throttle body. It fills up. The oil is also full of fuel from so much fuel dumping in. We replaced the 2 injectors. I also tried testing one of the injectors for voltage but there was none. I am not sure if they should even get power until the truck starts. I have done a lot of google searching and found the procedure to pull codes. This ecm has the off/on switch. It did not show any error codes, but the battery has been disconnected for several weeks. I pulled the fuel pump relay and switched it with the main relay as they're the same part number and that didn't help. Both relays have continuity between pins 1 and 3.
So I'm not sure what to check next. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Topfuel67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 01:29 AM   #2
cadillacdude1975
The Gear Jammer

Vehicle: 87 D21 SE KC V6 2wd 5sp & 86.5 V6 SE auto
Thanked 1,076 Times in 992 Posts

Classification:
EC88-012 Reference:
TS88-077 Date:
June 16, 1988 VG30i AND Z24i ENGINE DRIVEABILITY,
ENGINE THROTTLE BODY INJECTORS APPLIED VEHICLE(S):
1986.5-1988 Trucks
1987-1988 Pathfinder
1987-1988 Van SERVICE INFORMATION
Some of the applied vehicles may exhibit the following symptoms:
A. lack of power during acceleration. B. Rough, erratic, or no idle conditions that may require throttle application to keep the engine running.
This condition may be caused by a mechanical malfunction of one or two throttle body injector(s). Since this particular malfunction is mechanical, and not electrical, the E.C.C.S. Self-Diagnostic system will
not detect this incident. NOTE: These symptoms are similar, but different, than the symptoms of a faulty Throttle Valve Switch (TVS) as described in Technical Bulletin EF&EC87-012 TS87-135. TVS incidents: A. Produce a severe "miss" or "buck" just as the throttle position is changed (tip-in or tip-off). B. Have little or no effect on engine idle quality. SERVICE PROCEDURE
Test drive the vehicle to determine the exact characteristics of the incident. If an injector incident is suspected, use the following service procedure.
1. Perform the Mode III Self-Diagnostics procedure shown in the appropriate model Service Manual. a. If no Trouble Codes (Code 44 or, for 1988 models, Code 55) are found, proceed to Step 2 on the following page. b. If a Trouble Code is found, correct the condition as described in the appropriate model Service Manual. If the original incident still exists, return to the beginning of Step 1. 2. Test the injectors for proper operation by performing an "Injector Balance Test " as follows.2. Test the injectors for proper operation by performing an "Injector Balance Test " as follows.

NOTE : The throttle body harness connector numbers for the applied vehicles are listed.

a. Check the operation of injector "A" by disconnecting the red wire from the throttle body harness connector (at the location shown ) to disable injector "P" b. Start the engine and allow to idle. With injector "B" disabled, the engine should run at idle on injector "A" in the fail safe mode. If idle is satisfactory, injector "A" is good. Turn off the engine, reconnect the red wire disconnected in Step 2a and proceed to Step 2c. If the engine will not idle, or idles poorly, injector "A" is faulty and should be replaced. c. Check the operation of injector "B" by disconnecting the green wire from the throttle body harness connector (at the location shown above) to disable injector "A".d. Start the engine and allow to idle. With injector "A" disabled, the engine should run at idle on injector "B" in the fail safe mode. If idle is satisfactory, injector "B" is good. Turn off the engine, reconnect the green wire disconnected in Step 2c and proceed to Step 3. If the engine will not idle, or idles poorly, injector "B" is faulty and should be replaced. 3. If injectors "A" and "B" are both determined to be operating satisfactorily, and the incident still exists, contact the FIXS Hotline for additional assistance.
Old 07-12-2019, 01:34 AM   #3
cadillacdude1975
The Gear Jammer

Vehicle: 87 D21 SE KC V6 2wd 5sp & 86.5 V6 SE auto
Thanked 1,076 Times in 992 Posts

Also worth reading http://www.infamousnissan.com/forum/...ad.php?t=36655
Old 07-12-2019, 05:47 AM   #4
Topfuel67

Vehicle: Nissan D21 1988

Thank you for the links! I downloaded the service manual. Seems the 88 manual isn't correct since it is for Navara. I don't know what that means, but someone posted they're different. So I'm guessing the 89 is the same as 88.
When the injectors are removed and we turn the ignition to the on position fuel pours into the throttle body just like when they are in. About 2-3 ounces. It just about completely fills the throttle body.
The manual shows a fuel pressure regulator on the side of the throttle body. I have not been able to find a replacement part for 88. I see ones for 90 and newer. Is this part discontinued?

Last edited by Topfuel67; 07-12-2019 at 05:49 AM. Reason: Spelling
Topfuel67 is offline   Reply With Quote