Go Back   Infamous Nissan - Hardbody / Frontier Forums > Tech Area > Exterior & Paint and Body

Old 08-04-2017, 05:34 AM   #21
h.stickeye

Vehicle: 91 Nissan Navara d21 Single Cab

if i can get a proper job done in australia for 1600 surely u guys can too. naybe its just greedy shops and ur all looking in the wrong places.
h.stickeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 11:31 AM   #22
Cafe'
Bored

Vehicle: Nissan d21 1992

My son and I have a custom shop on the side. We usually charge $300 to do racing stripes (vinyl), $250 for a panel repair and any where from $1500-$3000 for a total repaint (includes door jams and minor repair).

Ha, this guy owned a lifted hummer came by not to long ago and was all "I want the best, sickest custom job you can do." We designed it with tribal flames and skulls using Kandy (HOK). "What ever the price," he said. So we quoted him at $5000...haven't seen him since. It was written all over his face after the quote.

Paint would have cost him around 1500 and then the rest labor....UGH...sanding, painting, sanding and painting....the endless rounds just to get a smooth body!!! But in the end...when someone looks at your work with the lustful eye....grab a glass of coke and rum boys, job well done!

Most $1000 jobs are one stage paint. They stop sanding after 420 grit. The spray job is orange peel and the sanding lines can be seen in the paint. The paint is soft and won't last long. 2 stage is more durable and as long as its not cheap will last longer with the ability to cut and buff at almost any stage of its life. It takes time and attention to get a car shinny enough for you to shave in it!

Last edited by Cafe'; 08-04-2017 at 12:12 PM.
Cafe' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 02:04 PM   #23
Jusseth

Vehicle: 95 Nissan D21 Hardbody

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmanuel View Post
from where? fact-o-bake? Maaco?

that is going to be some pretty cheap materials and some low priced labor
I guess it depends on your location. Here in Houston there are many good shops as long as you are willing to find them.
Jusseth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 11:04 PM   #24
h.stickeye

Vehicle: 91 Nissan Navara d21 Single Cab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cafe' View Post
Most $1000 jobs are one stage paint. They stop sanding after 420 grit. The spray job is orange peel and the sanding lines can be seen in the paint. The paint is soft and won't last long. 2 stage is more durable and as long as its not cheap will last longer with the ability to cut and buff at almost any stage of its life. It takes time and attention to get a car shinny enough for you to shave in it!
I got maserati black (2pac Glasurit) and gloss, it alone cost $750-800 i think. I bought it myself, he mixed it up properly, cut out some small rust, banged out the front bumper, fixed some small dents out of the pillars and whatnot. I helped him to wetsand, i cant remember what grit we went down to, but it took about 8 hours. He did all the jambs, all under the bonnet as much as he could. he did some buffing, but i wanted to do the final touches myself, mainly just cause i wanted the car back from him. i think this is the day after i got it back. didnt wash it either.

edit: nearly 4 years later and it still holds up. i still get people asking me who did it, especially after ive just given it a wash and a polish.

edit edit: this is no carshow bulshhhiiit paintjob. who needs that. its to keep the car looking nice and to have some pride in my truck. If you look closely you can see imperfections like trapped dust, small runs and some very light wetsand marks from where I fkd up haha.

Last edited by h.stickeye; 08-04-2017 at 11:12 PM.
h.stickeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 11:58 PM   #25
Outdoorfunguy85

Vehicle: 2015 jaguar

If you're going to vinyl wrap it, contact Gatorwraps. They wrap all kinds of crazy things and lettering decals.
Outdoorfunguy85 is offline   Reply With Quote