Go Back   Infamous Nissan - Hardbody / Frontier Forums > Tech Area > Exterior & Paint and Body

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-01-2017, 08:05 PM   #11
86.5KC
 
86.5KC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Lehigh Valley PA
Posts: 127
Vehicle: Nissan D21 1986.5, King Cab, Z24i, 5speed, 2wd
Thanks: 11
Thanked 39 Times in 37 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jusseth View Post
You are correct on that. Wrapping would be the way to go for you, just make sure you get good quality wrap and not the cheap stuff. Doing it right once beats having to do it twice.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jusseth View Post
I heard there is a type of vinyl that has air channels to let the air out?

Cast vinyl?
Yes after doing much research on the subject of wraps, this is who I decided to go with https://vvividshop.com/collections/automotive-films
They do in fact have air release grooves, like a shallow hash pattern in the adhesive that is intended to allow all air to be pushed out during the application process. Their product is estimated to have a 5-7year durability so I have time to get all the little things taken care of before I commit to getting it painted, which works for me.
86.5KC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 08:54 PM   #12
YEPEE
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Phoenix
Posts: 1,541
Vehicle: 86.5 HB, 02 Sentra Spec-V
Thanks: 145
Thanked 225 Times in 198 Posts
Default

a friend is an outside salesman, drives all over the place, he made a deal with a place and they put up the $$ to wrap his vehicle for x amount of time, so he was paid to drive a billboard around town plus his regular job and the sun didn't fade his paint! win win
YEPEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 09:05 PM   #13
86.5KC
 
86.5KC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Lehigh Valley PA
Posts: 127
Vehicle: Nissan D21 1986.5, King Cab, Z24i, 5speed, 2wd
Thanks: 11
Thanked 39 Times in 37 Posts
Default

My old shop car had a full wrap and it was on the car for over 4 years with daily weather and never had an issue. I eventually began driving that car daily and removed the wrap. When I got this truck the body was so straight that I was disappointed with the shabby spray job I decided to do the research to do my own wrap.
All this discussion about it makes me want to just do it. I may have to pull the truck into the garage this weekend and get it done.
Thanks for the motivation.
86.5KC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 02:32 AM   #14
ahardb0dy
The Post Count Whore
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Sorrento, Florida
Age: 52
Posts: 7,021
Vehicle: 1993 Nissan Hardbody
Thanks: 58
Thanked 777 Times in 726 Posts
Default

My Friend said it would cost about a thousand to do the whole truck, that was just a rough estimate, yes, the labor is most of the price. But the down side is he told me the wraps on the horizontal surfaces, especially down here in Florida would only last about 5 years.
__________________
My name is Tony and I'm a Infamousaholic

Current truck - 1993 Nissan Hardbody king cab 2wd
, (formerly owned: 90 Nissan Sentra, 94 Nissan Pathfinder SE 4x4, 05 Nissan Titan, 87 Nissan SE-V6 4x4 king cab, 94 Infiniti Q45t & 80 Datsun 310GX )
ahardb0dy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 05:34 AM   #15
h.stickeye
 
h.stickeye's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Brisbane AUSTRALIA
Posts: 818
Vehicle: 91 Nissan Navara d21 Single Cab
Thanks: 124
Thanked 78 Times in 69 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahardb0dy View Post
My Friend said it would cost about a thousand to do the whole truck, that was just a rough estimate, yes, the labor is most of the price. But the down side is he told me the wraps on the horizontal surfaces, especially down here in Florida would only last about 5 years.
thats ridiculous. I got my whole truck professionally painted for 1600 AUD!

edit: oh and i used to do wraps, must must be done properly otherwise its a massive fail.

edit edit: i hated doing it so much and all the complaints i quit doing it hahah. tint was just easier.
h.stickeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 02:32 PM   #16
Jusseth
 
Jusseth's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Texas
Posts: 76
Vehicle: 95 Nissan D21 Hardbody
Thanks: 3
Thanked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahardb0dy View Post
My Friend said it would cost about a thousand to do the whole truck, that was just a rough estimate, yes, the labor is most of the price. But the down side is he told me the wraps on the horizontal surfaces, especially down here in Florida would only last about 5 years.
In the end it all depends how much you want to spend. Here in Texas I would assume it will last about that much considering the sun out here is just terrible on cars.

my 2 cents, if I was paying $1000, I'd put a little bit more and get that baby painted rather than wrapped.
Jusseth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 02:36 PM   #17
Jusseth
 
Jusseth's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Texas
Posts: 76
Vehicle: 95 Nissan D21 Hardbody
Thanks: 3
Thanked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86.5KC View Post
My old shop car had a full wrap and it was on the car for over 4 years with daily weather and never had an issue. I eventually began driving that car daily and removed the wrap. When I got this truck the body was so straight that I was disappointed with the shabby spray job I decided to do the research to do my own wrap.
All this discussion about it makes me want to just do it. I may have to pull the truck into the garage this weekend and get it done.
Thanks for the motivation.
Pics if you get it done!!!

I'm currently working on mine. Doing much body work and an overall complete color change. Going the paint route given I'm taking some classes at the CC.
Jusseth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 08:45 PM   #18
kmanuel
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Slidell, LA
Posts: 615
Vehicle: 13 G37 Sport Daily on Air . 06 CC Sierra Bagged, 03 Tacoma current/upcoming project
Thanks: 15
Thanked 41 Times in 35 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jusseth View Post
In the end it all depends how much you want to spend. Here in Texas I would assume it will last about that much considering the sun out here is just terrible on cars.

my 2 cents, if I was paying $1000, I'd put a little bit more and get that baby painted rather than wrapped.
Wouldn't expect a very good paint job for "a little bit more" than $1000
kmanuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 08:54 PM   #19
Jusseth
 
Jusseth's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Texas
Posts: 76
Vehicle: 95 Nissan D21 Hardbody
Thanks: 3
Thanked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmanuel View Post
Wouldn't expect a very good paint job for "a little bit more" than $1000
As long as your ride is straight and doesn't need much/any body work and just paint, you should be able to get it done for around $1300 (respray same color)
Jusseth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 05:46 PM   #20
kmanuel
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Slidell, LA
Posts: 615
Vehicle: 13 G37 Sport Daily on Air . 06 CC Sierra Bagged, 03 Tacoma current/upcoming project
Thanks: 15
Thanked 41 Times in 35 Posts
Default

from where? fact-o-bake? Maaco?

that is going to be some pretty cheap materials and some low priced labor
kmanuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 02:05 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.