Go Back   Infamous Nissan - Hardbody / Frontier Forums > Tech Area > Exterior & Paint and Body

Old 06-26-2017, 05:18 AM   #1
Green-meanie187
The Rakkasan

Vehicle: 96 Nissan XE 2.4
Default Camper shell or tonneau

So I've been trying to decide on something here. .should I do a tonneau cover or a camper shell on my truck.

I know here where I live in Florida, I'll get looked at like an old guy if I decide to go with a camper shell or do I go with a tonneau cover. My stepdad has always had a camper shell on his trucks, and well I'm looking at the same thing solely to make sure I can carry that emergency roadside tool kit if I needed one, and also a place to put my groceries after shopping since the cab is too small.

Here's the problem I run into, in the last 3 months I have checked probably half a dozen sites that sell truck covers including Leer, and I haven't found anyone that sells camper shells for my truck..

Any help here
Old 06-26-2017, 06:13 AM   #2
Gordo78
I'm The Juggernaut B&#@^!

Vehicle: 91 HB

It's personal preference. I've had both a hard tonneau, and a shell, and I prefer my camper shell I have now. Having more space that you can lock taller/bigger things up into is invaluable in my opinion. I love being able to throw my dogs back there (has screened windows too), and love the old school mini-truck look. I never hauled anything significant with my Nissan that would have required removing it anyway.

Scout Craigslist. They get sold on there fairly often, especially in a more populous area like Florida. I live in a small town in very rural NW Kansas, and still managed to find one a few hours from my house FOR FREE. Just takes time. You might have to paint it to match, but still way cheaper than a new one.
Old 06-26-2017, 06:14 PM   #3
Midnight Tech

Location: Back in SC again...in the back of the parts store...
Vehicle: 1986.5 D21 Hardbody 2WD

Seems like I heard once the mid to late 80s S10/S15 caps will fit the Hardbodys...

Out of Round Tuits....
Midnight Tech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 05:03 PM   #4
Green-meanie187
The Rakkasan

I've really been thinking about doing a tanneau cover.. Just have to save the money
Old 06-29-2017, 01:20 AM   #5
cadillacdude1975
The Gear Jammer

Vehicle: 87 D21 SE KC V6 2wd 5sp & 86.5 V6 SE auto

mine had a camper top when i got my truck. it was on there for the trip home then immediately shitcanned when i got here.
Old 06-29-2017, 02:27 AM   #6
Foul_Mouth
Infamous Autocrosser

Vehicle: 1986.5 4WD Reg Cab/ 1991 2WD Reg Cab(Red)/ 1995 2WD Reg Cab(Green)/ 92 WD21 4WD PathFinder

I run a soft tonneau most of the time. It's old school and I like the looks. Never been a camper fan though they look alright on some trucks. Hard tonneaus are like having a huge trunk, the front of the box becomes tougher to access. All I have to do is roll my cover up to the front and I have full use of the bed when I need. All my opinion though.

Foul_Mouth is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 11:55 AM   #7
jp2code
Software Developer

Vehicle: 94 LB 2x4 Manual VG33e
Thanked 1,106 Times in 976 Posts

A place for tool and groceries. That's the requirement?

Here's how I see your issues: Camper top makes you look like a grandpa, and tonneau cover is expensive, renders your bed useless in an emergency (because you have to drive back home and take it off to actually use the bed of your truck) and personally I think that takes a truck and ruins the whole point for buying a truck instead of a 2-door car.

Solution: toolbox. Doesn't look grandpa and you still have your truck bed.

Here's a nice example from thread http://www.infamousnissan.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15878:

Walmart has this black one on clearance:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Better-Bu...e-Box/37226229
1994 VG30E to VG33E with H256 Cams

jp2code is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 10:13 PM   #8
YEPEE

Vehicle: 86.5 HB, 02 Sentra Spec-V

I made storage in my bed, plywood deck on top of the wheel well, I kept my camping equip, fishing etc.. (had a camper shell) also ran a piece of plywood across the bedrails as a sleeping platform, anytime I had a wild hair I was gone!
YEPEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 04:41 AM   #9
Green-meanie187
The Rakkasan

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp2code View Post
A place for tool and groceries. That's the requirement?

Here's how I see your issues: Camper top makes you look like a grandpa, and tonneau cover is expensive, renders your bed useless in an emergency (because you have to drive back home and take it off to actually use the bed of your truck) and personally I think that takes a truck and ruins the whole point for buying a truck instead of a 2-door car.

Solution: toolbox. Doesn't look grandpa and you still have your truck bed.

Here's a nice example from thread http://www.infamousnissan.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15878:

Walmart has this black one on clearance:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Better-Bu...e-Box/37226229

Funny you mention that. One of the parts guys at the dealer I work at said the same thing. Having a camper makes me look like an old man.

I am kinda leaning more towards the truck box instead. It's fairly inexpensive and at least it can be locked....decisions decisions..
Old 07-23-2017, 12:26 AM   #10
campisi

Vehicle: 94 D21 XE 5spd

Hey guys, I don't really care about looking like grandpa (shoot, I am Grandpa - have one grandson already!).
Question: Would the shell from a 02 Fronty extended cab, short bed fit on my 94 D21 std cab short bed? I think the answer is probably no, unfortunately. There's a nice one for sale very cheap in my area.

Last edited by campisi; 07-23-2017 at 12:32 AM.
campisi is offline   Reply With Quote