Go Back   Infamous Nissan - Hardbody / Frontier Forums > Tech Area > Exterior & Paint and Body

Old 11-15-2015, 12:16 AM   #21
jp2code
Software Developer

Vehicle: 94 LB 2x4 Manual VG33e
Thanked 1,107 Times in 977 Posts

5 Stars!
1994 VG30E to VG33E with H256 Cams

jp2code is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Stealthshot (11-16-2015)
Old 11-19-2015, 12:09 AM   #22
chrisba

Vehicle: 1992 Nissan D21

Thank you
chrisba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 11:10 PM   #23
Scott Turchin

Vehicle: 96 Nissan Hardbody

Are there any rubber bumpers between any of the bolts?

I'm going to pull my bed this summer to get paint on.
Scott Turchin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 03:44 AM   #24
Grizzzly
Grizzzly

Vehicle: 1997

Hey fellas,

Anyone have a good remedy to break the rusted bolts? WD, PB, some muscle? I have a propane torch, too.

I am going to clean my frame and work on the rear side of things. Figured it may be easier to just take off the bed. I will possibly replace it with a flat bed.
Grizzzly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 04:20 AM   #25
SBJ
Total Buzzkill

Vehicle: '90 D21 4cyl 5spd 2wd

Get under there and spray them with PB blaster every day for a week before you actually plan to remove them. Make sure you get where the threads go through and not just the head of the fastener(if you can). There's also kroil but it's pretty spendy.

Last edited by SBJ; 07-30-2018 at 04:26 AM.
SBJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Grizzzly (07-31-2018)
Old 08-04-2018, 12:18 PM   #26
Stealthshot

Vehicle: 1988 Nissan D21 Hardbody

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzzly View Post
Hey fellas,

Anyone have a good remedy to break the rusted bolts? WD, PB, some muscle? I have a propane torch, too.

I am going to clean my frame and work on the rear side of things. Figured it may be easier to just take off the bed. I will possibly replace it with a flat bed.
I had Kroil on hand when I did this. PB Blaster will work too. Give it a good shot and give it a day or so to work it's way in. I bought a used impact driver and an inexpensive metric deep socket set from Harbor Freight. It makes life easier getting old frozen nuts off the bolts.

Rusty's Resto-Modify Log: http://www.infamousnissan.com/forum/...ad.php?t=28586
Rusty's Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100005952885829

Stealthshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 04:12 PM   #27
david29
Administrator

Vehicle: 1987 Nissan King Cab

I have mastered the art of removing a bed. Totaly removed in under 30 minutes. Using a cordless impact of course.
Old 11-28-2018, 07:51 PM   #28
soverance

Vehicle: 1996 Nissan Hardbody 4x4

Just in case anyone is looking to remove the bed on their truck, but does not have an engine hoist, and has no extra hands available (no helpers to pick it up...), then here's what I did to get the bed off as a solo mechanic:

You need the following items:

* Thirteen (13) 2x4x96 posts
* Four (4) eye bolts
* Thirty (30) 3.5" decking screws
* Four (4) ratchet straps
* Power drill, plus a drill bit to make pilot holes, and a philips screw bit attachment
* Step ladder

Step 1: Build the frame's sides. You just make a simple "2D" box with the 2x4's. Two screws into each joint. You'll want to build these right around your truck, so that you don't have to move them very far when you're done. I then propped the boxes up against the sides of the truck so they were standing upright.

Step 2: Join the sides together. You simply add the other three 2x4's as cross-members to the box frames, creating a "3D" box. Again, two screws at each joint. The first one is sort of a pain to get together when you're just one person, but you'll figure it out. Keep in mind that you do not include a fourth cross-member (the one that would go under the truck), and you'll see why shortly. Remember that when placing the top cross-members, you'll want to sit them flat and run the screws downward (see photo) so that it's both easier to install the eye bolts and they'll have more strength for support once the bed is lifted.

Step 4: Install the four eye bolts. It's not super important to measure this... just kind of eyeball it so that the bolts are generally right above the eye bolts in the corners of your bed.

Step 5: Hook up the ratchet straps. One end to the eye bolts in your bed, the other to the eye bolts on your new lifting frame.

Step 6: Unhook all the bed shit - the six bolts underneath, and the wiring, fuel delivery tube, etc. See beginning of this thread.

Step 7: Start ratcheting! Go slowly, and do one corner at a time. Two or three clicks, then move to the next corner. Be careful not to make any one corner way higher than another, and be careful not to slam the bed corners into your cab's back glass. Use some blankets or something as a protective cover if you're worried about it.

Step 8: Once the bed is sufficiently lifted off the frame, simply drive the truck forward a few feet to provide yourself with clearance to get your work done.

Step 9: If you're anything like me, you'll end up leaving this in place for a couple days. After the first day, the frame with the bed's weight on it started leaning a little bit... so I added two more 2x4's to each side of the frame to help stabilize it (not pictured). These were simply screwed in at an angle near the top, and then shoved into the dirt. Imagine like a picture frame stand, and you basically have the idea.

Step 10: Finish your work, then drive the truck backwards a couple feet to drop the bed.

I ended up leaving this temporary frame up for about a week. The bed was suspended in air on the frame the entire time. Once I had the stabilizers added to it, the whole thing was rather sturdy and probably could have stayed like that for a very long time.

Turned out to be a pretty good solution... I didn't have to call some friends to help pick it up, and I didn't have to buy an engine hoist or deal with moving it around in the grass/gravel. Altogether cost about $50 or so at home depot (buying the 2x4's, eye bolts, and straps - I had the other stuff already).

Hope someone finds this useful!
soverance is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
jp2code (11-28-2018)
Old 12-01-2018, 04:42 PM   #29
david29
Administrator

Vehicle: 1987 Nissan King Cab

Whatever works to get the job done. Ive used a trusty tree with come along in a pinch in the past. Until I got the right tools to do it safely.