Go Back   Infamous Nissan - Hardbody / Frontier Forums > Model Specific > Hardbody Forum (D21)

Old 06-16-2018, 07:50 AM   #31
XoXSciFiGuy

Vehicle: 1997 D21 King Cab XE 2WD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnater View Post
I usually do this if I can. Problem is there are usually so many problems close by that next thing ya know you're changing out the whole engine lol.

I'll probably stick with OEM thermostat if I can help it at first. Generally speaking I've found aftermarket to not always be up to par, especially with how "universal" half of it is nowadays.
Some aftermarket parts are good for D21's. Others are poorly-made China stuff that fails half the time. SOME China is good.

Aftermarket thermostats and the low-end aftermarket starters are famous for failing in Nissans. Don't go cheap on the thermo. Get a factory one for sure. I bought two aftermarket thermos for my old 89, and neither of them ever worked. The starters (aftermarket) are okay....as long as you get one that has the pigtail connection already installed, and stay away from the absolute cheapo starters. They are JUNK. You WANT a new pigtail on any aftermarket starter anyway. Trust me on this. Been down that road a few times.

1997 King Cab XE, 5-sp, canopy, AC/PS, KA24E, 113,000 miles. Need a technical manual? Drop me a message. Chilton's for amateurs.
XoXSciFiGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 08:26 PM   #32
Natnater

Vehicle: 97 D21 for the most part

So I finally have some time off to fix this. Was talking to my dad and he said that the water pump is only about a year or so old (the engine used to belong to him). I sat there and watched it spew coolant out today and I'm thinking it may be the hose "A" in this picture (not my picture)

That's where it seems to leak from. I'm assuming once it gets super hot the hose expands, making the leak worse. Once the engine shuts off the thing just sprays coolant like a faucet all over the place. Guess I'm going to start off with replacing that. Seems like a PITA but what must be done must be done.

EDIT: I'VE HAD A FUCKING BLOODY SPARE THIS WHOLE TIME GUYS. Water pump, hoses, clamps, everything. Sitting in my garage. Fuck me.

Oh well, glad I saw it before I bought more.

Last edited by Natnater; 06-28-2018 at 08:39 PM.
Natnater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 10:20 PM   #33
h.stickeye

Vehicle: 91 Nissan Navara d21 Single Cab

Yep, that's the piece of shit that blew on mine too.
h.stickeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 10:21 PM   #34
h.stickeye

Vehicle: 91 Nissan Navara d21 Single Cab

Quote:
Originally Posted by h.stickeye View Post
the big culprit hose is the 'heater return hose' (which im pretty sure SBJ called the return hose above)which is hard to see but down from the thermostat and runs back towards your intake. My bet is on this little f ucker.

the water pump can defs be hissing, thats the coolant entering the bearing area.

to check if water pump weep hole is weeping, get under center your truck and look up, its obvious if it is leaking, otherwise dont worry too much.

I dont know too much about the sound the fan clutch makes in the KA engine, but in the z24 it was slight click and quiet whoosh.

Your main concern is the LOSS of coolant anyway, so thats really what you are looking for. I personally suspect its just been dripping out a little at a time over a few months.

How often do you check your coolant level? It should be checked every week, if doing more than say 150 miles a week. Also, then check your oil at the same time. Trucks this old can develop problems and you wont really know until its hissing/chewing up your head gasket or shitting a valve or timing chain.

EDIT: if you have to replace one hose, DO THEM ALL. You gotta drop all your fluid anyway and you dont want to be doing it again in a few weeks or even months. While you also do it, get new clamps (like SBj said), the nice screw in ones, heavy duty, and do a flush of your engine. Just stick the hose in the intake side and let it run for a while. There are other methods, but seriously they dont much more than a hose does.

Oh, and that heater return bypass hose, or whatever, if you cant get availability easily, just bring the hose in to your local parts shop and get any hose with the same bend and cut down to size.

Whole job should take 2 hours TOPS, and might cost you say 50-100, depending on where you shop.
This is what said on page 1
h.stickeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 11:43 AM   #35
XoXSciFiGuy

Vehicle: 1997 D21 King Cab XE 2WD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnater View Post
So I finally have some time off to fix this. Was talking to my dad and he said that the water pump is only about a year or so old (the engine used to belong to him). I sat there and watched it spew coolant out today and I'm thinking it may be the hose "A" in this picture (not my picture)

That's where it seems to leak from. I'm assuming once it gets super hot the hose expands, making the leak worse. Once the engine shuts off the thing just sprays coolant like a faucet all over the place. Guess I'm going to start off with replacing that. Seems like a PITA but what must be done must be done.

EDIT: I'VE HAD A FUCKING BLOODY SPARE THIS WHOLE TIME GUYS. Water pump, hoses, clamps, everything. Sitting in my garage. Fuck me.

Oh well, glad I saw it before I bought more.
When your water pump is going, you will almost always know. It will spin off center, rattle, bang, or leak. If it isn't doing any of those things, (especially the leaking) it is probably good.

1997 King Cab XE, 5-sp, canopy, AC/PS, KA24E, 113,000 miles. Need a technical manual? Drop me a message. Chilton's for amateurs.
XoXSciFiGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 09:20 PM   #36
brandonodom18

Vehicle: 1990 Nissan hardbody 2wd, 1993 nissan hardbody 4wd

I had a camper shell given to me to put on my 4x4 truck

brandonodom18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 09:24 PM   #37
jp2code
Software Developer

Vehicle: 94 LB 2x4 Manual VG33e
Thanked 1,094 Times in 965 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandonodom18 View Post
I had a camper shell given to me to put on my 4x4 truck
And ...that's great!
1994 VG30E to VG33E with H256 Cams

jp2code is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 10:23 PM   #38
brandonodom18

Vehicle: 1990 Nissan hardbody 2wd, 1993 nissan hardbody 4wd

Also I’m trading some parts off of my 4x4 parts truck for a brush guard to put on it to

brandonodom18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 10:30 PM   #39
jp2code
Software Developer

Vehicle: 94 LB 2x4 Manual VG33e
Thanked 1,094 Times in 965 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandonodom18 View Post
Also Im trading some parts off of my 4x4 parts truck for a brush guard to put on it to
Yeah, but you might want to put these types of comments in the What have you done to your D21 Today thread instead of Natnater's "Overheating issue" topic.

Just saying.
1994 VG30E to VG33E with H256 Cams

jp2code is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 06:25 AM   #40
SBJ
Total Buzzkill

Vehicle: '90 D21 4cyl 5spd 2wd

Natnater,

Your best bet is to just replace all of the hoses if that's the case. If one of them blew the others probably aren't far behind. The water pump and thermostat are probably still a good idea if they haven't been done before. Hose B in the picture can be a real fucker to get to, take your time and remember that many of the coolant outlets are made of soft metal. New hose clamps are also a good idea, the OEM ones will probably twist on themselves when you try to remove them.
SBJ is online now   Reply With Quote