Go Back   Infamous Nissan - Hardbody / Frontier Forums > My Infamous Nissan > Project Build Log

Old 10-18-2017, 05:44 PM   #1
Foul_Mouth
Infamous Autocrosser

Vehicle: 1986.5 4WD Reg Cab/ 1991 2WD Reg Cab(Red)/ 1995 2WD Reg Cab(Green)/ 92 WD21 4WD PathFinder
Default The Green AutoX Truck

Just realized I have build threads for both my other trucks but not for my main one. I guess I will do a back story on the truck when I have some time but for now I will just post current affairs.

Last week my KA24E engine let me down for the last time. I have been in that engine so many times this year chasing valvetrain noise and low oil psi problems. I give up! So that leads me to yesterday, I purchaed the future heart transplant. I bought a Z31 VG30E NA engine off CL for $200 with about 57k on it. The plan on paper is to get it up to snuff with a new timing belt + ect, headers, Pathy upper plenum and other do-dads to get it running nice then shoe-horn it into Green. I already have the flywheel and trans. I will be making my own engine harness with a WD21 ECM most likely, could be a Z31 ecm too, I am playing stuff by ear. I will update this thread as things happen, for now both the truck and the engine are going to sit for the Winter while I finish building my red truck back up.

I will write the back story of this truck throughout the week.

Last edited by Foul_Mouth; 05-05-2018 at 11:17 AM.
Foul_Mouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 10:02 PM   #2
david29
Administrator

Vehicle: 1987 Nissan King Cab

Ive got the VG30E intake and upper plenum on hand as well.
Thanked by:
Foul_Mouth (10-18-2017)
Old 10-18-2017, 11:22 PM   #3
Foul_Mouth
Infamous Autocrosser

Vehicle: 1986.5 4WD Reg Cab/ 1991 2WD Reg Cab(Red)/ 1995 2WD Reg Cab(Green)/ 92 WD21 4WD PathFinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by david29 View Post
Ive got the VG30E intake and upper plenum on hand as well.

I'll let you know. There are a couple pathy's in the yard near me.

Old 10-18-2017, 11:49 PM   #4
synbiotic12

Vehicle: 2004 Frontier 2WD (sold), 1993 D21 4x4

That's gonna be cool, I thought about this last year when I had the change to buy a 300zx vg30DE, but ultimately decided I didn't wanna get into the wiring harness to make it work.
Gonna be a cool project for sure man and it will definitely pep up your autocross times. Should have a good rumble to it with the exhaust you have on green now, take lots of pictures
2007 Subaru Impreza wagon 2.5i
synbiotic12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 12:01 AM   #5
Foul_Mouth
Infamous Autocrosser

Yes, lots of pics and vids for the YT channel. I wanted to be different and I think this is it.

Old 10-19-2017, 07:31 AM   #6
Foul_Mouth
Infamous Autocrosser

Turning Cigarettes into Trucks

Green was a gift to myself for quitting cigarettes in Feburary 2007. I used the money I saved to treat myself to a 'forever' truck after I regretfully got rid of my 1981 Datsun 720 King Cab 720 2wd ST a few years back, and I still miss to this day. I wanted something I could wash and wax but I never bargained on what happened next or where this truck would take my life. Rewind to Feburary 2008, I find myself in a Florida cars lot In NY State looking for a 4wd HB I saw on their website recently. Sadly it had already been sold but the owner pointed out a sad bucket of bolts with an ugly cap on it and missing half of the interior. That bucket of bolts was Green.

A deal was struck and I drove it home.

At first I went after finding all the missing interior pieces. I worked as an outside rep for a Peterbilt truck dealer so I would stop at junkyards all over the state looking for those missing parts. I was into the 'preserve it for history, everything must remain or become stock' mind set. For the first couple years I wanted nothing to do with lowering or modding, it had to retain its chrome. This is while my head was being eroded by publications like Sport and Exotic Car magazine. One of the first things I did was replace the timing chain and guides with all Nissan parts. Green was first featured in the 2011 NicoClub calendar in a pretty much stock state minus a couple add-ons. Yawn! (Ironic is the month and year the truck is featured, almost like the stars knew something in advance). In August of 2008 I towed the truck out to Tulsa Ok and drove it back to NY driving along parts of Rt 66 along the way.

Green the Half-Ass Show Truck
In 2010 I began taking the truck to shows, mostly vintage car shows like the MG Car Club shows and such. It never went over the way I thought it would, people would look at it but if a Z car pulled up they would drop Green like a hot potato. During that time Green did make it into Nissan Sport Magazine twice, both cameos. Once was a tiny picture on the cover of the '50 Years of Nissan' issue and the same pic was used again in the 'Top 5 Nissan Trucks' section of a later issue (the blurb wasn't about Green, it was about the Hardbody in general, they just used Green as the example).

It was during this era that I met a future close friend, hot rodder, ball buster and Datsun truck guru Barry Brown from www.riterrestorations.com. I went to a show in 2010 and when I pulled into the field I was greeted not by one but THREE Datsun 620 trucks of his. My mind was blown. 7 years later and the man continues to spin my head with the builds he puts out but it was that day I found my truck crew. Barry used to race Datsun Roadsters all over the country and he was involved in the era of the SCCA autocross trucks when there was a seperate class just for them, back when they would show up with 10 trucks at an event just to tip cones and have some laughs. That got my head thinking...a sporty street/part time autocross truck? Yeh, that sounds like it could be fun!

So it Begins
I dropped the truck a little in 2011(following the SCCA Coor's RaceTruck Challenge trucks for inspiration) and started addressing the suspension. I never wanted to stray too far into full blown 'where's my trailer' race-truck. I wanted something that could do street and autoX with attitude. Barry taught me that attitude is everything and Green needed to get some. Sway A Way torsion bars, poly bushings everywhere, Moog everything, Bandit4x4 brass idler arm bushings and Hellwig rear bar. Rear bumper removed with a OEM roll pan put in its place. Spare tire removed about 40lbs, combined with the bumper close to 100lbs right there. Green started venturing into sport truck territory and was getting better and better to drive...well until that fateful night.

September 8th 2011, a day I will never forget.
It was the end of the beginning for Green. It looked bleak and expensive. Green 1.0 was on life support. On September 9th 2011 the Vintage Fest at Watkins Glen was honoring Nissan/Datsun and any Nissan or Datsun was welcome so without hesitating I signed Green up. The event would allow 3 laps around Watkins Glen International and 3 laps through town on the old 6.6 mile track in front of crowds of people. This was going to be awesome! I was working for a Hyundai dealer at the time so that evening I pulled Green into the wash bay and went over it good. It was dusk when I left and I was about 500 feet from my driveway when the silouted deer jumped out in front of me and there wasn't a thing I could do in time to stop it. Green sliced right through her destroying the entire front end, pushing the right side fender back buckling the door and damaging the radiator. The entire valley could hear me yell 'NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!'.

Desperate to try and salvage the event next day, a couple friends and I stayed up late pulling a cutting trying to get Green to even make it. No dice, it was trashed so in the morning I called the people throwing the event to let them know Green won't be making it. When I asked for my ticket money back they said they could not do it on the day of so I had to lose or come up with a backup plan. Well we went with the back up plan. Since it was ALL Nissans and Datsuns I told them I would be bringing my Frontier instead. They agreed and all was set. I never told them it was a 2002 SEV6 4wd with 31's on it and the looks on their faces said it all when we arrived for the morning breakfast/drivers meeting.

My buddy Justin sat there with his Chevy hat on, we got some dirty looks and we loved it. A field of Roadsters and Z cars with one muddy over-sized D22 Frontier going around the track. The track photographers wouldn't even look at us, we had people yelling at us from the stands...it was amazing! We pissed off so many people except one who was in the crowd...my buddy Barry Brown, he was at turn 4 just before the back straight and was laughing his ass off every time we went by. Did I say the entire time was amazing? Well it was! So amazing that when the track laps were over the director of the event tried throwing us out. He wadded up my admission sticker, pointed and said 'get out'. I said I would except 'I FUCKING PAID TO BE HERE!' and told him the story of how I wrecked Green the night before. Huffing and puffing he put my admission sticker back on and we continued to do the laps through town.
That was even more of a riot, we were on everyone's ass...Roadsters and Z's it didn't matter. One photographer was kind enough to take pics of use going through town and over the stone bridge. We were heckled everytime we went down main street. We were telling people we set new lap records. People were yelling 'what's that thing doing here?' or 'that doesn't belong here!'. It was great. We never intended to poop the parade but when people throw you shit sandwiches and you aren't hungry you just toss them right back. Just an amazing and unforgettable day!

Video of us going around the track...
https://www.facebook.com/justin.sant...0309795358864/

Video of us going through town...
https://www.facebook.com/justin.sant...0309673233864/

Green 2.0
Barry Brown has been a huge influence over me since I met him. He knows body work, he knows race cars and he likes trucks....mainly Datsun trucks so it made the most sense to have him look at repairing Green's deer damage. I brought the truck to his shop in April of 2012 to begin the rebuild. Normally he only works on vintage rides from the 1900's to the 1970's but he liked Green enough to allow it in his shop. Green needed a core support, the inner fender pulled, the frame pulled, hood, door repair, both fenders, grille and bumper. It was time to modify. 92-older 'mail-slot' hood, 4wd fenders, 86.5-87 grille and parking lamps and flares. He was done with the metal work and paint by August, I finished the rest in my garage and was 98% ready to roll by September. That was when I was approached by one of the editors of the now defunkt Nissan Sport Magazine about being selected as their Truck of the Quarter. I had to zip tie everything and push the truck out of the garage for the photos but I got it and Green made it into that issue. Anyone that has that issue should get a good laugh knowing everything, including the bumper, is zip tied into place.

Green Meets the SCCA
April 2013 my balls had grown enough to try my first autocross event ever. In a recently repaired Green, I had never done anything like this before. I was on all season 205/60R15 tires. I was slooowww! But...I had fun and the truck became a mini-celebrity with people. What Green lacked in speed it made up for in attitude. It put on a show and looked good doing it. In 2014 I 'upgraded' to 225/50R15 Dunlop SP9000 tires on Outlaw I rims, those tires were pretty awful but it did improve Green slightly. In September of 2014, at the Watkins Glen Vintage Fest ironically, I scored a used set of Toyo Proxes RA1's 225/50ZR15 tires that had only a handful of laps on them and had been shaved down to 2/32nds...Green was going to be so much better now.

I competed in Novice class all throughout 2013 but it was about that time I started RallyCross racing with the black Hardbody truck that I helped Barry build. Barry and I competed against one another, he would run in 4wd class and I would run in 2wd class. The truck was awesome...until the day it flipped. See my Rallycross Rebuild thread for more on that story.
So with Rallycross over for now I got back into Green for the 2014 season. I was out of Novice class, I told them 'I helped flip a truck on its roof, I don't think I am a novice anymore'. I competed in F Street Prepared class since Green has a few too many mods for H-stock. There was no way Green was going to touch a Street Prepared Miata but I still had fun and learned a metric shit-ton (converted from SAE shit-ton). Made some friends along the way as well. I competed at Delphi in Henrietta NY, RIT and MCC in Rochester NY with MCC being the best track for Green. No trophies, just tons of learning and having fun.

In 2015 Green showed up to the first autocross wearing the new Toyo Proxes RA1 tires and a little bit more attitude in the form of a custom mandrel bent exhaust system going through a 2" resonator built by the Muffler Shop II in Fairport NY. There had been no major changes to the truck since 2013 so new tires had to help bring times down and a free flowing exhaust to get the fumes out quick. Green's biggest enemy on the track...understeer. The front of the truck could turn into a plow if I went into the turns too hard. Slaloms could also spell disaster. The RA1s gave Green some of the needed grip but it was up to me to really learn how to control weight transfer, something that you need to understand if you are going to be able to stay on it in the turns. I got better with more seat time for sure but Green was never fast. It never spun out and it never scared anyone. Green has two weak areas, understeer and lack of a limited slip. One change I did make for 2015 was removing the overload leaves, this loosened up the rear to help make it more compliant. Before I did this the truck would lift the inner rear tire right off the ground in tighter or faster turns thus killing any forward motion until the tire touched the ground again. This could be solved with LSD or a locked rear but I haven't done it. The main reason...I want a streetable truck. The LSD diff I own has 4.375 gears while the h190 in the truck now is 3.545. Quite a difference, it could be overcome with taller tires for the street but that's not the look I am going for. 4.375 would make Green more race-truck than I am prepared to deal with. Those gears are reserved for autoX truck 2.0...Red Truck. Red has taller rear tires and looks better with them so I am putting the LSD in that truck instead. If I found a 2wd LSD unit in the 4.10 area I would put that in Green but I haven't found any yet and I am not ready to swap to the Isuzu rear at the moment. For more on Red see my thread in the build section.

I ended up finishing 3rd in points for the season in Street Prepared for the 2015 season. No trophy and by this time I had gotten back into Rallycross. This time with an Audi A6 BiTurbo Quattro at first then switching to a Infiniti G20T with a SR20 and LSD. I took 2nd AWD season points with the Audi in 2015 and 2nd 2wd season points with the Infiniti in 2016. We have since sold both cars and I did not compete this season, instead I focused on my projects and going to more shows.

One Last AutoCross
I only attended one autocross in 2016 and it was one of the last events of the season. My main reason for showing up was to test the new aux. fan, v6 calipers and rotors and the new KYB Monomax shocks. It didn't really perform the way I wanted, the brakes needed to be bled more and the engine lost wind by the 5th run. I didn't place too high but it was nice to see everyone and people did love the truck. (The brakes do make a hell of a difference now that they are sorted and the shocks are very responsive (always match the shocks to the springs and that couldn't be more important when running SAW torsions)). It was then that my brain started thinking about retiring Green to street cruiser and building the Red truck up as the next autocross rig. That plan is underway right now and hopefully Red can attend its first autocross in 2018 if all turns out as I hope. But I am not going to count Green out yet. Some tragic events happen in 2017 that could lead to a new lease on life. Read on.

Count Down to Destruction
2017 has been plagued with engine problems. Perhaps the autocross beatings were too much or maybe I wasn't driving it enough since 2012. Either way the top end started making noise and oil pressure has been all over the map. No autocross events in 2017, I just drove it as a street truck, I may have racked up 2500 miles driving it this year alone versus only 2500 miles since 2012. I had enough of the noises so I decided to replace the rocker arms with known good ones back in July. That kind of helped but the noises were still there. So I switched to my backup oil pump, noises completely gone. So my shimmed racing pump had failed. Running the stock backup pump made everything happy, for a little while at least. I took it to a couple shows and meets. I just wanted to enjoy it as much as I could. I swapped the front end to Pathfinder lights, added a LED light bar so I could drive it at night and not have flashbacks to 2011's deer accident. What a great ride! I love driving the thing and any day it didn't rain I was in it but the old KA24E was having less and less of it. Oil psi continued to drop where some days it was at 35psi at 3000rpm. I knew something was up but I had had enough. KA engines are flawed. I used to stand behind them but there are too many consistent flaws that makes them unreliable to me. Green's KA finally had enough in October 2017 when after a quick trip to the gas station it began clacking like there was no oil in the cylinder head, running on 3 cylinders and oil pressure went down to 20psi at 3000RPM. The final straw, time for a transplant. And that leads us to my first post in this thread.

Nismo Z21
After much consideration I decided to align Green more with the 300ZX than with the 240SX by purchasing a VG30E. Nothing against the KA really but if I am going to drop coin on rebuilding an engine I would at least like it to be interesting even if it doesn't set new records at the track. I have always liked the VG engines. My dad had one in his WD21 2-door, I had two...one in my 86.5 Long Bed D21 and one in my 02 D22 frontier. They sound good, they have torque and they can be supercharged using OEM parts. I hunted and I found that VG30E posted above for a good price. It's a good base to start the build I have in my head. It doesn't hurt to have most of the parts I need for the swap either. So starting in 2018, after Red is completed, I will be taking the tired KA out and dropping a VG in its place. If successful we might see Green perform its first autocross in a new class...E Street Prepared (as long as I don't supercharge it) or Modified if I do put a blower on it. I think it's pretty much assumed I will be dropping a blower on this truck...it's has to have one just for the shear attitude of it. I don't care if I could have scored more points with an SR, a Hardbodywith a blower...that's where my head is at!

So follow along as I go about amassing parts and continuing to build the truck inside my head.

Be sure to check out my YouTube channel where I chronicle all the silly things I do with these trucks.

Thanks for looking!

Last edited by Foul_Mouth; 10-20-2017 at 04:58 PM.
Old 10-20-2017, 06:18 AM   #7
Foul_Mouth
Infamous Autocrosser

So trying to sort out the wiring in my head. I know I am a long way off from doing this but it never hurts to start thinking about it now. The question I asked myself was: Should I make Green's new engine think it's an Xterra/Frontier or leave it as a 300zx using a Z31 ecm? I think the simplicity of the 300zx system makes it more favorable to me. I am thinking of running the ecm as a stand alone unit while keeping the rest of Green's wiring intact. I need to flesh the idea in my head out more, this is just a rough cut.

I went through some of my parts stash when I got home and found I still have some VG parts from my d22 Frontier, cool. Also found I have a z31 MAF sensor that I forget where I got it from but it doesn't matter, it's nice to have a piece of the puzzle just sitting in a box in my stash already.

Old 10-20-2017, 11:07 AM   #8
alabama_lowlife
Owner and Administrator

Vehicle: 08 altima, 1970 Datsun 521, 1995 Nissan Hardbody x2
Thanked 1,586 Times in 1,298 Posts

My opinion is that it would be much cooler if you kept the 300zx intake. If you use the truck intake it will look like every other vg30e. I'd be more that happy to spend time assisting you with sorting out wiring if you need help with that.
Old 10-20-2017, 02:42 PM   #9
Foul_Mouth
Infamous Autocrosser

Awesome, I can use all the help I can get. I agree the 300zx intake is cooler than the xterra/frontier except for one thing, the xterra/fronty plenum flows better and according to multiple sources is good for about 10hp.

Old 10-20-2017, 04:27 PM   #10
Foul_Mouth
Infamous Autocrosser

David29 transaction.