Go Back   Infamous Nissan - Hardbody / Frontier Forums > Model Specific > Hardbody Forum (D21)

Old 05-23-2018, 11:01 PM   #17081
91nissan94

Vehicle: 91nissan hb

I think I'm gonna have to do the same. I have one that won't stop ticking. Drives me nuts now that everything else is quiet.
91nissan94 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 11:40 PM   #17082
Foul_Mouth
Infamous Autocrosser

Vehicle: 1986.5 4WD Reg Cab/ 1991 2WD Reg Cab(Red)/ 1995 2WD Reg Cab(Green)/ 92 WD21 4WD PathFinder

Currently hot tanking a spare set of rocker arm rails.

Foul_Mouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 11:52 PM   #17083
Natnater

Vehicle: 97 D21 for the most part

picked up some sony xplods at the junkyard for cheap, once it's not raining they're going in. Just in time for a road trip, too.

Also does anybody know if early 00's Xterra seats will bolt in or mostly bolt in? There's a really nice pair at the junkyard that I'm going to cop if it's close enough.

I've been finding out that a lot of small plastic parts that I tend to break or lose are interchangeable between a whole bunch of nissans. Dome light covers for days, y'all.

Edit to avoid double posting:

Man those fucking speakers. I should have just bought some new ones. Actually I'm probably still going to, anybody got any recommendations?

So the speaker I put in the driver side had its pins bent over and copper wire /tied/ to the pins. yerp. Cut that crap off and straightened out the pins. Then after I connected the smaller pin (negative, I think?) it broke off entirely. Woop. Good thing I bought my first soldering iron yesterday! Soldered a wire directly to the speaker and spliced it to the negative wire. Only burned myself twice because I tend to rest things of that shape against my ring finger, a mistake I won't make a third time hopefully. I'm sure the soldering would make NASA engineers commit suicide but the speaker works. It's a little bit bigger than the hole so I got one screw in and then used a couple of zip ties, like one does. I'm sure I'll do a more proficient job next time.

Well it ended up being the exact same fucking ordeal on the passenger side. Pin broke off and I soldered it on. Got the speaker put in and it ended up being somewhat blown. Wasn't bad enough to see physically but I can definitely hear it.

So any recommendations on speakers? 4 ways preferred

Last edited by Natnater; 05-24-2018 at 02:52 AM.
Natnater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 02:58 AM   #17084
XoXSciFiGuy

Vehicle: 1997 D21 King Cab XE 2WD

Quote:
Originally Posted by 91nissan94 View Post
I think I'm gonna have to do the same. I have one that won't stop ticking. Drives me nuts now that everything else is quiet.
I know it's not factory-spec, but have you considered running four quarts of 20-50 with a quart of Lucas tossed in first? Might help. With a hydraulic lifter, you might have a plugged oil passage. Sometimes a broomstick section can help you ID which lifter is the problem.

There are ALL kinds of ways to deal with a ticking lifter. Isuzu once put out a bulletin saying you should run ATF instead of oil for a very few miles and then dump that, and put in new oil. (Hmm) Most people say you replace the lifter or try a heavy Rislone type treatment...THEN maybe the Lucas/oil change thing. I dunno. You can switch to an adjustable setup but its expensive...and then you have to adjust them.

Not sure how bad the ticking sound is, but this is what I would do: Dump two quarts from the crankcase. Replace with two full quarts of Rislone. Run that for fifty miles, replace with the Lucas/ 20-50 thing.

1997 King Cab XE, 5-sp, canopy, AC/PS, KA24E, 112,000 miles. Need a technical manual? Drop me a message.

Last edited by XoXSciFiGuy; 05-24-2018 at 03:08 AM.
XoXSciFiGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 03:51 AM   #17085
91nissan94

Vehicle: 91nissan hb

I'm about 800 miles post timing chain replacement. I also did the valve seals too. Just did the first oil change Sunday, so waiting to see if it will quiet down or not. Not really that bad, just something I notice now. Thanks for the advice.
91nissan94 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 04:23 AM   #17086
Hardbody92

Vehicle: 1992 hardbody

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnater View Post
picked up some sony xplods at the junkyard for cheap, once it's not raining they're going in. Just in time for a road trip, too.

Also does anybody know if early 00's Xterra seats will bolt in or mostly bolt in? There's a really nice pair at the junkyard that I'm going to cop if it's close enough.

No the Xterra seats will not bolt in not even close. The seats and brakets much wider to even line up with stock bolt holes
Natnater (05-27-2018)
Old 05-24-2018, 06:53 AM   #17087
XoXSciFiGuy

Vehicle: 1997 D21 King Cab XE 2WD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardbody92 View Post
No the Xterra seats will not bolt in not even close. The seats and brakets much wider to even line up with stock bolt holes
And if that's the case...your seats will start running upward to the tunnel and even if you drill new holes...your seats will install with driver's seat leaning left, the passenger seat to the right. Sounds like the seats are just too big to fit into a smaller D21 truck.

1997 King Cab XE, 5-sp, canopy, AC/PS, KA24E, 112,000 miles. Need a technical manual? Drop me a message.
XoXSciFiGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Natnater (05-27-2018)
Old 05-24-2018, 09:56 AM   #17088
Hands On
XXXXXXXXXXXX

Vehicle: A Hardbody

After being tired of having nowhere to put my gas cap when fueling, RTV'd some neodymium magnets onto a gas cap holder from a Maxima and stuck it to the back of the fuel filler door.

Old 05-24-2018, 10:26 AM   #17089
jp2code
Software Developer

Vehicle: 94 LB 2x4 Manual VG33e
Thanked 1,056 Times in 930 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnater View Post
So any recommendations on speakers? 4 ways preferred
I look on Amazon and find stuff with over 4 stars and lots of ratings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hands On View Post
After being tired of having nowhere to put my gas cap when fueling, RTV'd some neodymium magnets onto a gas cap holder from a Maxima and stuck it to the back of the fuel filler door.

That's awesome!
Everyone you meet is fighting a battle you know nothing about. Be kind always.

jp2code is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 11:24 AM   #17090
alabama_lowlife
Owner and Administrator

Vehicle: 2011 Nissan Frontier, 08 altima, 1970 Datsun 521, 1995 Nissan Hardbody
Thanked 1,495 Times in 1,229 Posts

Natnater, I’ve used some 6 1/2” Rockford Fosgate punch speakers in both my son’s truck and my daughter’s car. They’re pretty good for the price. They’re about $60 a pair. I would imagine most anything in that price range is gonna perform about the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 91nissan94 View Post
I'm about 800 miles post timing chain replacement. I also did the valve seals too. Just did the first oil change Sunday, so waiting to see if it will quiet down or not. Not really that bad, just something I notice now. Thanks for the advice.
You may have to resort to taking the rocker arms and rocker shafts off and cleaning them. Last KA I had they were very sludged up. I used brake parts cleaner to blast them out pretty good and then used a syringe to force oil into them to bleed them as much as possible. Worked pretty well, there was still one that would tap occasionally.
alabama_lowlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
91nissan94 (05-24-2018), Natnater (05-27-2018)