Go Back   Infamous Nissan - Hardbody / Frontier Forums > Infamous Nissan > Introductions

Old 06-14-2018, 09:57 AM   #1
uwantitrightdoityourself

Vehicle: 1997 Nissan hardbody xe pickup 2.4L 24l motor
Question 14 MPG Please Help

Have had this 98 D21 2WD pickup since Dec of 2017, getting horrible gas millage, owned a 1977 620 2WD, and a 1983 720 4x4, always got at least 20 mpg regardless of how i drove them. Any suggestions?
I am getting an intermittent 0400 DTC, EGR system. Haven't removed the steel tube coming from the exhaust manifold yet, to check for blockages. have been following the diagnostic test procedures from my manual. but there are so many for this system.
please help,
Leonard
uwantitrightdoityourself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 11:57 AM   #2
alabama_lowlife
Owner and Administrator

Vehicle: 2011 Nissan Frontier, 08 altima, 1970 Datsun 521, 1995 Nissan Hardbody
Thanked 1,495 Times in 1,229 Posts

Check to make sure the timing is set correctly
alabama_lowlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 01:22 PM   #3
jp2code
Software Developer

Vehicle: 94 LB 2x4 Manual VG33e
Thanked 1,056 Times in 930 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by uwantitrightdoityourself View Post
Have had this 98 D21 2WD pickup since Dec of 2017, getting horrible gas millage, owned a 1977 620 2WD, and a 1983 720 4x4, always got at least 20 mpg regardless of how i drove them. Any suggestions?
I am getting an intermittent 0400 DTC, EGR system. Haven't removed the steel tube coming from the exhaust manifold yet, to check for blockages. have been following the diagnostic test procedures from my manual. but there are so many for this system.
please help,
Leonard
Typo? 1997, not a 1998.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alabama_lowlife View Post
Check to make sure the timing is set correctly
+1 - Incorrect timing will mess up a lot.

https://www.samarins.com/diagnose/p0400.html

The link above gives lots of information about Code P0400, and one of the symptoms it lists is poor fuel economy. You might want to read through it, but that entire article assumes your timing is correct. So, check timing first!

Here is a summary from HERE:

Next, pull off the top hose to the EGR, and rev your engine quickly. You should feel vacuum at the hose end momentarily. If there's vacuum, then the EGR valve is bad.

Can you compress the EGR diaphragm manually with the engine idling? Either slow or fast application of gas pedal should cause vacuum to draw diaphragm. If your friend gasses the truck fast the diaphragm compresses quickly and it is easy to feel it moving. This should cause the engine to start to die if everything is working properly. If the EGR diaphragm is not compressing when someone else pops the gas there is still a problem. The engine will run hotter without EGR function and the Nitrogen emissions will go up causing you to fail emissions.
Everyone you meet is fighting a battle you know nothing about. Be kind always.

jp2code is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 03:26 AM   #4
uwantitrightdoityourself

thanks for all your help, ya the production date was 08/97 maybe that is where I got the 8 from. went out and bought a timing light tonight. My manual speaks of adjusting timing with the Nissan "consult" scan tool, or a gst (generic scan tool) but also shows timing marks on the crank pulley and a pointed plate attached to the block. I just spent about an hour trying to find them, I did not crawl underneath, but I have never seen a degree plate under the crank pulley. from any angle up top you can barley even see the crank pulley, the water pump is directly on top of it, and the 3 belts do a pretty good job of hiding everything else. Are you suggesting using a light or scan tool to adjust timing? I will pull of the top hose on the EGR tomorrow and check for vacuum. Now when trying to feel movement of the EGR valve, are you feeling it from below, or does that button on top move? some of the illustrations in my manual seem to depict vapor coming out of the EGR valve. I have checked the coolant temp sens on the harness side, gnd is good and voltage is to spec., but I have not tested the senser itself. Thats on tomorrows list too.
thanks again for all your help,
Leonard

Last edited by uwantitrightdoityourself; 06-15-2018 at 03:30 AM. Reason: added a word or two
Old 06-15-2018, 10:05 AM   #5
alabama_lowlife
Owner and Administrator

Use a timing light. Get the truck warmed up to operating temperature. Remove the air cleaner tube that runs across the front. You might want to remove a couple belts to free up some more space. The timing marks are on the crank pulley. The reference for them is a metal pin sticking straight out of the front of the timing cover. The marks on the crank pulley are as follows: 5,0,5,10,15,20. The red mark in the picture is 10 degrees btdc and thatís where you want it set. Disconnect the TPS from the throttle body. Loosen the 2 bolts on the distributor. Crank it up and see where itís flashing. Turn the distributor to adjust the timing of the spark. If you canít turn it far enough to get it to 10 degrees youíll have to remove and reinstall the oil pump/distributor drive spindle. Weíll get into that only if you canít get the spark to fire at 10.

Old 06-15-2018, 10:39 AM   #6
jp2code
Software Developer

Vehicle: 94 LB 2x4 Manual VG33e
Thanked 1,056 Times in 930 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by uwantitrightdoityourself View Post
Now when trying to feel movement of the EGR valve, are you feeling it from below, or does that button on top move? some of the illustrations in my manual seem to depict vapor coming out of the EGR valve.
Give the EGR valve a reach-around, like this:

The rubber diaphragm underneath should push in and pop back out when you release.
Everyone you meet is fighting a battle you know nothing about. Be kind always.

jp2code is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 10:04 AM   #7
uwantitrightdoityourself

Thanks for your detailed answer, and great illustration, I appreciate the time you have taken to help me. It sure is nice having "friends in low places", Roll Tide.
will let you know how things work out.
Leonard
Old 06-16-2018, 10:10 AM   #8
uwantitrightdoityourself

I will try again, the first time I was a little cautious about getting my finger pinched.
thanks for the help, I'll keep you posted
Leonard
Old 07-26-2018, 05:10 AM   #9
uwantitrightdoityourself

I need to get back on this mileage issue, been raining so much here in Florida, and I don't have a covered area to work under. Anyway, on the subject of ignition timing adjustment, is the distributor rotated clockwise to advance timing? I can see that the bolt on the dist. is all the way to the end of the adjusting slot(no more clockwise adjustment left).
thanks for everyone's help
Leonard
Old 07-26-2018, 10:12 AM   #10
alabama_lowlife
Owner and Administrator

I can’t remember which way you turn it, but while you’re turning it you’ll know if it’s heading in the right direction.