Go Back   Infamous Nissan - Hardbody / Frontier Forums > My Infamous Nissan > Project Build Log

Old 01-31-2019, 05:45 AM   #51
Mazdaspeed6

Vehicle: 1997 base model Hardbody

If I can stop spending money on my car I may actually be able to spend money on my truck, I just bought two engines for my car and I barely put gas in my truck ha but my work is only one mile from my house so needless to say when i fill up it lasts awhile
Mazdaspeed6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 05:01 AM   #52
Scrapingpavement

Vehicle: Bagged 1986.5 nissan hardbody KC and a 1964 f100 custom cab

Time for an update on little blue!

First off been searching for a set of 16" Chevy rally for a few months with no major rust ( a lot harder than I thought ) Finally after months of searching I finally found a nice set even the beauty rings were primo! Decided to run 1" spacers front and rear for 2 reasons, most obvious is no boring needed. 2nd is the fact this wheel is only 6.5" wide and a huge positive offset, that way the wheels don't look super tucked in ( although for a 3.5" body drop I will most likely bore them and remove spacers )
After I did a test fit took them down to my buddy's at m&m powder coating and had them blasted and coated pearl gray. Cleaned up the rings, mounted a 205/45/16 tire, and some bullet lug nuts from summit. Still want to add a center cap eventually just not sure how yet...

Then had my buddy at cjmotoring cut me some 30"x16" flat black Rohde Fabrication decals to put on each door!!

PICS COMING WHEN I'M BACK AT MY LAPTOP, LOL.
Old 04-22-2019, 09:43 PM   #53
Mazdaspeed6

Vehicle: 1997 base model Hardbody

Just seen these on Facebook Facebook
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot_2019-04-22-14-40-02.jpg (20.3 KB, 10 views)
Mazdaspeed6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 01:43 AM   #54
Scrapingpavement

Old 05-27-2019, 01:05 PM   #55
scoobysmak
Xtreme Lowz

Vehicle: 90 KA24 2wd Std Cab, 91 SR20DET 2wd Ext Cab

Looking good

87 Nissan Pathfinder...on hold... , 93 Nissan Pickup Long Bed.....needs help!!!
scoobysmak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 12:20 AM   #56
nunya

Vehicle: nissan d21 93 kingcab red
Default ideas for wheels?

Does anybody know if these wheels can be customized? If possible I would like to have the " inner" areas of them powder coated red. Looks like a masking nightmare. Open for suggestions.
nunya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 10:24 PM   #57
Scrapingpavement

Little update on the truck, i was getting bad headlight dim and even had the truck shut off at one point from power draw when i had heat on full blast and comps running. After a little research the z24i motors typically only come with a 50 amp alt, and thats not going to cut it with 2 comps that pull nearly 40amps, and a small stereo system and i mean small only 500 watts. Found 2 company's that made high output replacements but each had horrible reviews, and i contacted 2 big alt company's and one said the truck was too old the other said they only have universal. Which i didn't really want to deal with making all new brackets and harness. I did a bunch of reading on the modified quest alternators, but honestly only seen posts on the ka and vg engines nothing for the old azz z24i. So decided to pull the trigger and see what it would take to put a 1999 new quest alternator in, most use the mid 90s alts but i didn't like how the alt was clocked for the tabs and the 99 had more output without breaking the bank. Cost me just over $100 for a new quest alt on amazon which is a 125amp alt.

So heres everything that i had to do to get it in and working, fyi i also did the big 3 upgrade with a 4g wire kit i felt the 0g was overkill for my system.

Here are the alts compared

First thing to do was swap pullys, everything was same thread size but in order to get the pulley all the way on had to shave the front case flat, super easy.

I did have to make a spacer to sit on the bearing so the pulley had something to sit up against.

Had to modify the back side of the pulley where there was a lip, so sanded that down close to flat to not rub on case.

After that i kept making comparisons to see what needed to be done, the cool think was the 2 lower tabs are exactly the same width as stock so didnt need/want to shave those. But the quest alt holes were a bit smaller so drilled them out to fit m10 bolts.

A quick test fit and it fits good but the quest tabs are alot thicker so longer bolts were needed, got 2" long m10-1.5 bolts and cut them down to my preferred fit.

With that all done and said i could bolt the bottom up and check alignment, was perfectly aligned with the pulley! But the top tab was no where near the original top bracket... so thought about bunch of different things to do and ended up going super simple. pulled the top bracket off ( that was a bitch in itself because theres one long bolt that goes though the front into the block so had to remove fan to pull bolt all the way out )
looked at how universal small blocks are made with a turnbuckle and some small heim joints but didn't want to wait for parts so decided to make a super simple bracket that bolts the the bottom side of the power steering pump.

Fit perfect and once tight that bitch wont move a muscle so thats great! Unfortunate part was the belt i was running prior wasn't long enough, so replaced the 36.5" belt with a 37.5" belt and we are in business!

At this point it was time to run big 3 wires and plug factory wires in, same nissan plug, ground wire used same threads and bolt, the oem power wire the eyelet was too small to fit around the bigger quest stud so carefully enlarged the connection.

Got it all in and started the truck, and we have charging voltage! I will note it is a little on the high side at 14.6 volts so im thinking the battery's a bit discharged and just needs to sit on a tender but heres some numbers i took before and after with various things running. While music is bumping i get no more light dim, and it was bad before.

Before: Idle voltage 14.27 After: Idle voltage 14.6

Before: Comps running 13.97 After: Comps running 14.55

Before: Comps and heat full 13.85 and continued to drop..

After: Comps and heat full 14.52
Old 02-11-2020, 12:15 AM   #58
alabama_lowlife
Owner and Administrator

Vehicle: 2012 370Z, 1970 Datsun 521, 1995 Nissan Hardbody x2
Thanked 1,905 Times in 1,564 Posts

Nice work! You should post this in a new thread and I’ll make it a sticky
Old 02-11-2020, 03:05 AM   #59
Scrapingpavement

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by alabama_lowlife View Post
Nice work! You should post this in a new thread and Iíll make it a sticky
Thanks! Ya for sure, I was thinking that as well. The next day or two I'll post a new thread up!
Old 03-08-2020, 10:23 PM   #60
Scrapingpavement

So after dreaming for years on getting some og or 3 spoke wheels, i finally had the opportunity to pick some up!!!

Picked these up from my buddy, with only knowing they were ultra wheels.

So after getting a base clean on them and some measuring they are 16 x 7.5 with a 5.5" backspace. 6x5.5 lug pattern of course with a 3.25" bore.

Didn't realize it when i picked them up but they are directional! with two lefts and two rights! After searching google and 90s magazines i could only find 2 ads on them. So i have came to the conclusion they are type 275 or a variation, the reason i say variation is because the ad says 2 piece and these appear to be one piece. There is some minor dings and scratches, and where the wheel weights were they dug into the wheel. Going to get some quotes and get them sent off for a proper restoration and polish!

After all that got some test fits done to see where they sit at before continuing, i do want to note i tested these on my 1" spacers which i run with the steel wheels. Which wont work in the end but got me a good idea on what i want to run because im not entirely sure if i will end up boring the wheels. So at this point i think 1/2" spacers will be perfect for the front, will need to swap out for longer studs. For the rear im thinking a 1/4" spacer or no spacer at all, if i do add a 1/4" spacer to the rear i dont think the studs will have enough thread for me to feel safe. So if thats the case i will have to pull the axles in order to put longer studs in...