Go Back   Infamous Nissan - Hardbody / Frontier Forums > Tech Area > Engine and Drivetrain

Old 11-15-2018, 06:35 AM   #1
zay27

Vehicle: 91 hardbody
Default Has anyone supercharged the ka24e?

I know there are quite a few ka24-t folks out there, but has anyone considered supercharging one? I was looking at ways to add a but more power and it seems like a decent option.

I figure with the design of the intake mani on the truck, it wouldn't be all that difficult to design an adapter plate that would bolt the supercharger right on top of the lower intake manifold. It would be easy enough to design a pulley to bolt on in place of the fan clutch to drive the sc. Then you just add a throttle body pre-sc and a bypass valve so it can run properly under vacuum conditions.

It seems to me like this would be a great way to build a low boost setup to get up to that ~250whp range, with instant response and no oil or coolant lines to worry about.

Anyone else looked into it? I'm gonna be working on my build through the winter, so I'm thinking maybe I'll pick up an m90 of off one of the many gm v6's at the local pick-n-pull and give it a shot.
zay27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 04:57 PM   #2
estetic
ADMIN

Vehicle: 91 HB

Theres one floating around here somewhere - used a custom adapter and the SC from a x-terra
Old 11-15-2018, 05:27 PM   #3
jp2code
Software Developer

Vehicle: 94 LB 2x4 Manual VG33e
Thanked 1,106 Times in 976 Posts

I'd like to see how that goes about getting done.

Would you be doing it to your 1994?
1994 VG30E to VG33E with H256 Cams

jp2code is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 06:26 PM   #4
zay27

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp2code View Post
I'd like to see how that goes about getting done.

Would you be doing it to your 1994?
Actually I just realized that was a typo, mine's a 91 not a 94, but yea, the plan is to do it on the 91.

I'm hoping it'll all come together smoothly. Step 1 is to pick up a supercharger and design a vector graphic for an adapter plate. Then I can have my buddy cut it out of 1/2in plate steel on the waterjet, and tap the supercharger mounting holes. If it works well there's no reason I couldn't get more of them made up.

The biggest limitation on the setup will be lack of cooling. To run more than 8-10 psi out of a roots blower it would be necessary to either integrate a water-air heat exchanger into the supercharger adapter plate, or ad water/meth injection to bring the iat's back down.
Old 11-15-2018, 06:35 PM   #5
zay27

Quote:
Originally Posted by estetic View Post
Theres one floating around here somewhere - used a custom adapter and the SC from a x-terra
Hmm, I'd really like to see how they set it up. I've seen a couple 240s running superchargers, but they tend to be bottom mounted due to the design of the ka24de intake mani.

I looked into the xterra supercharger, and it seems like the bend at the inlet would make it tricky as it would point directly back at the valve cover. I was thinking the shortest inlet I can find and then attach a ~120* bend going to a throttle body, maf, and intake. I'll be relocating that battery so the intake can be routed to where the battery would normally sit.
Old 11-19-2018, 04:38 AM   #6
zay27

So I've been looking into this a little more, and it seems like the ideal way to get to that ~250whp range.

The eaton m90 from 96+ gm 3.8 v6s should flow more than enough to make decent boost on the ka24, and can be had for <$150 from any local junkyard or ebay, and rebuild kit is <$50. All together with fuel management, ancillary parts, and fab work I think the whole setup can be done for <$500.

The plan right now is to use the throttle body, maf, and other intake components from a 240sx (like you would with a 240 intake mani swap), with the tb mounted pre sc, and the bypass valve running of off a post tb pre sc vacuum signal.

I'll be picking up the sc soon so I'll update with mockups and measurements when I get a chance.
Old 12-05-2018, 04:54 AM   #7
lomofo11

Vehicle: Hb-less at the moment

ka-t.org I know it's probably been covered on there. I believe it's own catagory.