Go Back   Infamous Nissan - Hardbody / Frontier Forums > Model Specific > The Other Forum

Old 11-13-2018, 01:51 AM   #1
SBJ
Total Buzzkill

Vehicle: '90 D21 4cyl 5spd 2wd
Default The tool thread

What's up everyone? I guess this is kind of in the same vein as the firearm thread but I thought I would start a thread for those of us on here who are tool junkies. Most of us wrench on our rides (either out of necessity or as a hobby) and in the process accumulate lots of tools. I guess the idea behind this thread is to create a list of tools that are a great purchase/value or just plain awesome. I'll start:

HF 3 ton steel floor jack and 3 ton stands

Lisle 58430 seal puller

Weller soldering gun

HF 25" breaker bars

Hozan 4pc JIS screwdriver set
SBJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 02:48 PM   #2
OldGreyBeast
1986.5 HB 4x4 3.0V6

Vehicle: 1986.5 Nissan D21, 1987 Mercedes 190D Turbo, 2010 Mercedes E350 AWD

+1 on the HF 25" breaker bar. I'll add to that to go by Lowes/Home Depot and pick up a 4' piece of 1.5" ID iron pipe to act as additional leverage. I used that combo to remove the crank pulley bolt on my Mercedes 190D (torqued to 298ft lb).

Harbor Freights impact sockets are a great deal as well. They're cheap compared to HD/Lowes but hold up just fine. Those are the only sockets I bother buying anymore.

EPAuto 12v air compressor (tire inflator) - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 This little guy is super powerful for the size/cost. I've used it quite a few times and haven't ever had issues. I bought one for my dad and bought another for my girlfriend.

Self fusing tape. I had no idea this stuff existed until earlier this year but HOLY CRAP IT IS AMAZING. All those times you need head shrink in a weird place or on some multi-wire junction where it just won't hold are solved by this stuff. It's expensive but worth it. Makes electrical work so much easier.

This is a little different, but everyone needs a shop computer. Using a phone or whatever is fine until you're covered in grease/oil and can't use the touchscreen, or your gloves aren't conductive. Pick up a Raspberry Pi for $40 and connect it to an old VGA monitor (if you don't have one laying around you can get 17" LCD on craigslist for $10-20 nowadays). https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 They run Linux (free OS) and are super fast. Great for browsing, playing music, etc. in the shop. They don't need a fan so there's no dust suckage to worry about and take very little power and very little space. I have one taped to the back of an old LCD monitor in my shop. Lets me use a full size screen, keyboard, and mouse for watching youtube videos or reading FSMs and it's cheap enough that if you do break it somehow it's not expensive enough to bring tears.
Old 11-14-2018, 01:38 AM   #3
SBJ
Total Buzzkill

Vehicle: '90 D21 4cyl 5spd 2wd

Those impact sockets are awesome. I have a couple sets and have they are still going strong despite getting the shit beat out of them. On that same note the 1/2" earthquake impact gun is also an excellent value. I have had mine for 3 years now. It was a real game changer when I bought it.

The computer is also a good call. A couple months ago I bought a $250 lenovo laptop on Amazon and eventually I would like to buy something like this for it to run diagnostic software. It's not the fastest but it's fine for everyday tasks and cheap enough to get dirty without caring too much. I also have a generic OBD2 scanner but the computer screen would be a lot more convenient for graphing data.

https://www.amazon.com/ScanTool-OBDL.../dp/B005ZWM0R4

I would also like to invest in a cheap scope eventually.
SBJ is offline   Reply With Quote