Go Back   Infamous Nissan - Hardbody / Frontier Forums > My Infamous Nissan > Project Build Log

Old 04-04-2022, 05:37 PM   #21
Reserector
the Flaming Marshmallow

Vehicle: '86.5 Nissan HB KC 4x4 5.3V8

Quote:
Originally Posted by PorknBeans View Post
Coming along nicely!

Seems suspicious that the tail lights and marker lights were spray painted black.

Was this truck stolen at one point?
Probably just the lights.
Reserector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2022, 05:50 PM   #22
PaulC

Vehicle: 1993 Nissan Hardbody

Quote:
Originally Posted by PorknBeans View Post
Coming along nicely!

Seems suspicious that the tail lights and marker lights were spray painted black.

Was this truck stolen at one point?
The rear taillight had one of the red lenses fall out before I originally sold it so I think instead of replacing it they just did a poor attempt at making smoked tail lights. One of the clear corner lights has some rust in the bottom so I'm thinking same thing there.

It wasn't ever stolen. I have the whole VIN history with registrations etc...
Old 04-07-2022, 11:21 PM   #23
IssaNissan

Vehicle: Nissan Hardbody 1993

Your story is CRAZY AWESOME!

After reading this, I hope 200000000 X's more you get the little truck on the road again.

Wish I could find my 85 D-150. ��
IssaNissan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2022, 03:32 PM   #24
PaulC

Still troubleshooting the running rich issue but I've made some more progress in other areas. I found some broken wires. One ended up being the oil pressure sensor and the other was for battery voltage off the alternator. Got both of the soldered and sealed up so now my battery light actually turns off and the oil pressure sensor works now. I was also surprised by my awesome wife with the 3" belltech angled blocks for the rear. That was a nice surprise, she knew I was getting frustrated with the engine so that was certainly a nice distraction and motivator. My son and youngest daughter helped to get those installed on Saturday. It's starting to look more and more like the truck I remember. Really need to get a couple more pathfinder wheels for the rear and get those huge tires replaced!

Before:

After:

Old 05-17-2022, 07:53 PM   #25
PaulC

After lots of frustration in getting the engine running right I've decided it's best left to the professionals at this point. So I'm going to spend the next few months getting the suspension road worthy, replacing the driveshaft with a one piece from a frontier, and getting 2 more pathie wheels for the rear. That way once I have it towed to a shop it will be good to drive home after they get it running.
Old 05-24-2022, 07:12 PM   #26
PaulC

Well I decided to try one more thing before giving up on getting it running again myself. I took the throttle body apart and cleaned all the old gasket material off the surfaces, sealed it all up with some permatex ultra black gasket maker, and now it's actually idling with the MAF plugged in and the air filter on! Was able to drive it a little bit and it does still seem low on power however when I pulled the plugs they are very fouled. I'll get some new ones put in and see how it runs.
Old 05-31-2022, 06:07 PM   #27
PaulC

One more thing off the list. My valve cover was leaking horribly so while I had it off to change the gasket and went ahead and repainted it. Something it needed desperatly!

Old 06-29-2022, 05:41 PM   #28
PaulC

After many hours under the truck cleaning the thick layer of mud and oil buildup I've finally started prepping and painting the frame. After cleaning all the mud off there's some surface rust but nothing bad at all. I'm using rustoleum rust reformer to paint everything. This will get rid of any of the surface rust left after the light sanding I'm doing and I like the flat black finish. Haven't quite finished as I ran out of paint but it's some nice progress.

Before:

After cleaning before sanding/paint:

After:

Old 06-29-2022, 08:45 PM   #29
Reserector
the Flaming Marshmallow

Vehicle: '86.5 Nissan HB KC 4x4 5.3V8

Pretty sure that rust reformer will need a top coat to keep it from washing away. It's water based IIRC. That has been my experience. Just spray over it with black rattle can.
Reserector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2022, 06:27 PM   #30
PaulC

Did some more work and finished with the rust reformer on the underside. The rust reformer from Rustoleum is oil based so I should be good there. Though at some point once the suspension is completely redone it will all get painted again. Also did the brake booster, and cleaned up some A/C and other lines under the hood with and SOS pad. First time cleaning those this way and they turned out looking brand new.