Go Back   Infamous Nissan - Hardbody / Frontier Forums > Tech Area > Wheels and Tires

Old 02-24-2011, 06:36 AM   #11
dmac

Vehicle: 04 Nissan Titan

Very useful.
dmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 03:59 AM   #12
thisbecoq

Vehicle: nissan hardbody 1997
Default help!

Im doin an 18 20inch combo.. 18x8s and 20x8.5s for my Nissan hardbidy and want it to lay frame.. I read up on offsets all the time but jus can't understand it and im wondering what offset I need for my wheels to tuck and lay without flaring my fenders or shorten my rear end.. any info will be greatly appreciated.. thanks CoQ
thisbecoq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 12:42 PM   #13
97_hardbody
Project Hardbody GT

Vehicle: 1997 Hardbody

Quote:
Originally Posted by thisbecoq View Post
Im doin an 18 20inch combo.. 18x8s and 20x8.5s for my Nissan hardbidy and want it to lay frame.. I read up on offsets all the time but jus can't understand it and im wondering what offset I need for my wheels to tuck and lay without flaring my fenders or shorten my rear end.. any info will be greatly appreciated.. thanks CoQ
Check out this link. that jamesnmandy posted above
http://www.rimsntires.com/rt_specs.jsp

it really helped me understand offset.

What is offset: Offset the is measurement of distance from the mounting point of the wheel in comparison to the center of the wheel width wise (side view).

Example of offset: 0mm of offset is the dead center of the wheel width. In the pic on the link above the "Hummer" wheel is 10" wide and has a 10mm offset. As you can see the "Mounting Pad" is almost exact center of the wheel. Most low offset wheels are found on 4x4s and diesel trucks where the clearance doesnt really matter.
In the pic on the right side is a "Civic" wheel which is 5.5" wide with 40mm offset and as you can see the mounting pad is much farther away from the inside of the wheel and makes the "face" of the wheel stick out pretty far. Thats what Hardbodys need...a high offset to make the wheel face stick out far enough so that the fenders and bedsides won't contact the wheel when dropped, turning, or hitting bumps.

I hope that helped some. The best way to understand is to play around some on the graph and type in your stock tire and wheel size and compare to your upgrade wheels. It will even help out measuring how far off your speedometer will be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slyderdai View Post
Wheel gap is like a vagina, the more fingers you can get in there the worse off you are.
97_hardbody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 03:58 AM   #14
thisbecoq

Vehicle: nissan hardbody 1997

Still can't understand it but im doin a 20/22 combo.. 20x9s and 22x9.5s with a 30 offset.. will this work?

Last edited by thisbecoq; 06-22-2012 at 04:57 AM.
thisbecoq is offline   Reply With Quote