Go Back   Infamous Nissan - Hardbody / Frontier Forums > Model Specific > Hardbody Forum (D21)

Old 06-08-2018, 04:18 PM   #1
Aronxeros

Vehicle: 1987 d21 SE v6 4x4
Default 1987 D21 SE V6 4x4 resurrection

I recently bought a 1987 4x4 SE V6 Automatic from a guy at work. It sat for 4-5 years and needed a fuel pump and battery to get started. I've changed the fuel filter and fuel lines as well as a few of the vacuum lines that obviously needed changing. I have a shuddering low power situation now after putting gas back in (I assume there's quite a bit of rust in the tank). The shuddering only seems to occur while in gear. But it has a few "happy spots at different rpms. And in park it revs normally. I deleted the AB valve since the hoses are all junk (still have it on a shelf) the smog system is a total holey rusty mess and I am considering deleting all of that as well. Will the leaking smog system cause this stumbling under load?
Thanks in advance
Dave
Aronxeros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 05:20 PM   #2
Deerhurst
4/86 SE-V6 2 tone 4x4 HB

Vehicle: 1986.5 Hardbody

The smog system very well could be part of the issue could be a vacuum leak from it too
VG33i
Deerhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Aronxeros (06-08-2018)
Old 06-08-2018, 05:33 PM   #3
Aronxeros

I was thinking the same thing last night. Planning on deleting that stuff. My fuel gauges aren't working at all so I plan on dropping the tank and fixing that issue. I figure while I'm in there I'm going to steel wool the inside of the tank to get rid of any rust. Rinse with gas and reinstall.

I meant to ask if there are any vacuum lines to the auto trans that may be causing issues while in gear.

Thanks
Dave
Old 06-08-2018, 07:05 PM   #4
jp2code
Software Developer

Vehicle: 94 LB 2x4 Manual VG33e
Thanked 1,029 Times in 905 Posts

There is a lot of stuff in the FSM about Automatic Transmission problems. Below is one page:

Everyone you meet is fighting a battle you know nothing about. Be kind always.

jp2code is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Aronxeros (06-08-2018)
Old 06-08-2018, 07:49 PM   #5
urimashe

Vehicle: nissan hardbody 1993

normally a shudder at specific rpms are caused by a transmission, least in my experience. if its a shudder at all that is, and not a miss. if its a shudder I would look at the trans, a bad trans accumulator is a common source for a shudder on shift engagements, as was the case for my 700r4 on my chevy van. the accumulator spring had fell to pieces, so the happy spot ended up being at cruise around 60mph
urimashe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 10:03 PM   #6
Aronxeros

Maybe shudder is the wrong word. During acceleration of you push the gas more than just a small amount it will not accelerate (at least not like it should) if you let off a little it will get better. I guess it feels like its lacking fuel, but I know it revs normally in park or neutral. I didnt realize it when driving (until I read through that troubleshooting page) that 1st to 2nd gear is pretty harsh and if you floor it when its hesitating it will eventually rev up but not move any faster.
Old 06-09-2018, 09:30 AM   #7
XoXSciFiGuy

Vehicle: 1997 D21 King Cab XE 2WD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aronxeros View Post
I was thinking the same thing last night. Planning on deleting that stuff. My fuel gauges aren't working at all so I plan on dropping the tank and fixing that issue. I figure while I'm in there I'm going to steel wool the inside of the tank to get rid of any rust. Rinse with gas and reinstall.

I meant to ask if there are any vacuum lines to the auto trans that may be causing issues while in gear.

Thanks
Dave
There are better ways to clean out a fuel tank. How much you can actually reach and clean using steel wool, I am not sure. You steel wool that tank and then try rinsing, you will create rust where little to none existed before.

The Delphi method works very well as long as you rinse the tank thoroughly and drain, and let it DRY thoroughly. For the dish soap...use DAWN. See the video.

https://youtu.be/Liiewkf1UIA

EDIT: You say it idles normally, but hesitates or lacks acceleration at higher speeds. This (usually) points to a fuel delivery problem. Check the fuel filter first. You pull it, let it drain for a couple of hours, shake it out, whatever. You should be able to blow through it easily. If not, you need a new one. Switching the fuel pump is a job, but always a good thing. But don't do steel wool and gas on the tank. Not only is it dangerous, but it can make things worse. Debris gathers in a fuel tank, but not usually rust, because of the presence of gas in the tank. Fenders rust out, frames rust out, other stuff rusts out. A tank rusting out from the INSIDE is very unlikely. Gas is always splashing around in there, inhibiting the formation of any real rust problem.

1997 King Cab XE, 5-sp, canopy, AC/PS, KA4E, 112,000 miles. Need a technical manual? Drop me a message.

Last edited by XoXSciFiGuy; 06-09-2018 at 09:38 AM.
XoXSciFiGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 04:52 PM   #8
Aronxeros

Problem is it sat for 3-4 years with little to no gas in it. I put gas in and a filter but then figured out the pump went bad. I replaced the pump and the assembly was very corroded with rust. I tried to make sure that where I disturbed the rust that I got all the loose stuff free. Perhaps it's better to leave it alone and just change filters as they clog. I do however have to remove the tank again to fix the fuel gauge issues. First on the list though is the smog system. I will be working on it today and will post back the results.
Old 06-09-2018, 06:34 PM   #9
urimashe

Vehicle: nissan hardbody 1993

kinda sounds like your exhaust might be restricted.
urimashe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 08:21 PM   #10
Deerhurst
4/86 SE-V6 2 tone 4x4 HB

Vehicle: 1986.5 Hardbody

Thinking clogged cat or muffler?
VG33i
Deerhurst is offline   Reply With Quote