Go Back   Infamous Nissan - Hardbody / Frontier Forums > Model Specific > Hardbody Forum (D21)

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-08-2018, 08:35 PM   #11
Deerhurst
4/86 SE-V6 2 tone 4x4 HB
 
Deerhurst's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Oregon
Posts: 5,102
Vehicle: 1986.5 Hardbody
Thanks: 703
Thanked 467 Times in 433 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Dub View Post
Thanks! The only thing I can see so far that is not plugged in is the cylinder temp sensor behind the alternator. Just got the FSM so I'm going to do some reading tonight. Anyone have an idea where I can source a main harness?
V6 I don't recall any sensors behind the alternator on the VG30. Your cyl head temp sensor will be just above and behind the water pump on the driver side head. Its in a horrible location behind the timing cover.
__________________
1986.5 SE-V6 4X4 D21 Hardbody
Pacesetter Long Tube Headers
Morimoto Mini D2S HID Projectors and Hella 500s
VG33i
Deerhurst is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 12:45 AM   #12
D-Dub
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Washington
Posts: 33
Vehicle: Nissan D21 1987
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deerhurst View Post
V6 I don't recall any sensors behind the alternator on the VG30. Your cyl head temp sensor will be just above and behind the water pump on the driver side head. Its in a horrible location behind the timing cover.
Now I'm starting to believe this is not the original motor. I will go snap a few more pictures and post it up on my google drive.
D-Dub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 01:01 AM   #13
D-Dub
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Washington
Posts: 33
Vehicle: Nissan D21 1987
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

It's raining like crazy right now so this is the best I could do. Its a green wire, heavy gauge, the wire is just hanging down, the sensor its connected to just goes right into the block. There is nothing within reach that wire would connect to, and looks like its been dangling there for some time.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/VW5fBL2dZ7Rf7QFy7
D-Dub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 01:31 AM   #14
D-Dub
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Washington
Posts: 33
Vehicle: Nissan D21 1987
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Looking at the FSM, the harness I need says it's the main harness, the engine harness the section that has the positive battery terminal in it, and that seems to be ok, or at least it's not a complete disaster.

Apparently, there is a magic number of messages you can send per day on eBay... Lame, I will pick up the hunt tomorrow I guess.

If anyone feels like browsing around and bothering eBay sellers here is what I have been sending out

"Searching for a complete main and engine wire harness for an 87 Nissan D21 SE 4WD M/T. Mine has been hacked up and I want to start fresh. Do you have anything, or can you source anything?"
D-Dub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 01:32 AM   #15
Deerhurst
4/86 SE-V6 2 tone 4x4 HB
 
Deerhurst's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Oregon
Posts: 5,102
Vehicle: 1986.5 Hardbody
Thanks: 703
Thanked 467 Times in 433 Posts
Default

Pretty sure that green wire ain't factory. I can't see the sensor well on my phone. What sort of sensor does it look like?



I'm assuming its not a Cali truck so you lack a knock sensor too but that's in the valley.
__________________
1986.5 SE-V6 4X4 D21 Hardbody
Pacesetter Long Tube Headers
Morimoto Mini D2S HID Projectors and Hella 500s
VG33i
Deerhurst is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 01:35 AM   #16
jp2code
Software Developer
 
jp2code's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Longview, TX [USA]
Age: 49
Posts: 8,586
Vehicle: 94 LB 2x4 Manual VG33e
Thanks: 1,224
Thanked 1,074 Times in 946 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Dub View Post
Apparently, there is a magic number of messages you can send per day on eBay... Lame, I will pick up the hunt tomorrow I guess.
Yeah, that policy is a real pain in the arse!
__________________
Joe (not a mechanic!) Don't have an account? EMAIL ME
Free Service Manuals: https://ownersmanuals2.com/make/nissan
Walk-through: Checking Nissan Trouble Codes
1994 VG30E to VG33E with H256 Cams

jp2code is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 09:12 AM   #17
XoXSciFiGuy
 
XoXSciFiGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Auburn, WA
Posts: 1,058
Vehicle: 1997 D21 King Cab XE 2WD
Thanks: 39
Thanked 147 Times in 135 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Dub View Post
Looking at the FSM, the harness I need says it's the main harness, the engine harness the section that has the positive battery terminal in it, and that seems to be ok, or at least it's not a complete disaster.

Apparently, there is a magic number of messages you can send per day on eBay... Lame, I will pick up the hunt tomorrow I guess.

If anyone feels like browsing around and bothering eBay sellers here is what I have been sending out

"Searching for a complete main and engine wire harness for an 87 Nissan D21 SE 4WD M/T. Mine has been hacked up and I want to start fresh. Do you have anything, or can you source anything?"
Here's the problem with your harness acquisition attempt:

It is unlikely anyone will actually take the time to remove a main harness just to put it up for sale at eBay. It's just too involved, too much work, and the profit margin isn't good.

It's getting to the point where you might want to consider buying someone's D21 that isn't running, or is wrecked, to use for parts.
__________________

1997 King Cab XE, 5-sp, canopy, AC/PS, KA24E, 112,000 miles. Need a technical manual? Drop me a message. Chilton's for amateurs.
XoXSciFiGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 08:36 PM   #18
D-Dub
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Washington
Posts: 33
Vehicle: Nissan D21 1987
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by XoXSciFiGuy View Post
Here's the problem with your harness acquisition attempt:

It is unlikely anyone will actually take the time to remove a main harness just to put it up for sale at eBay. It's just too involved, too much work, and the profit margin isn't good.

It's getting to the point where you might want to consider buying someone's D21 that isn't running, or is wrecked, to use for parts.
Yeah I've been looking around for a parts truck. I'm also looking into What one of the local auto electric places would charge to build me a new harness.
D-Dub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 10:53 AM   #19
XoXSciFiGuy
 
XoXSciFiGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Auburn, WA
Posts: 1,058
Vehicle: 1997 D21 King Cab XE 2WD
Thanks: 39
Thanked 147 Times in 135 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Dub View Post
Yeah I've been looking around for a parts truck. I'm also looking into What one of the local auto electric places would charge to build me a new harness.
It's possible, but they would need the full schematics from a factory service manual to do so.

Have to remember one big truth about these trucks. They stopped making them for the USA more than twenty years ago, and if a part isn't offered aftermarket, you have to get imaginative. I've wished I had space for a parts truck on some of my previous trucks.

Try Craigslist often. Narrow your search using terms. Be prepared to drag it home, rather than drive it. Insist on a clean title. Take what you want and then call the wrecking yard. Just leave wheels on it so they can take it away.
__________________

1997 King Cab XE, 5-sp, canopy, AC/PS, KA24E, 112,000 miles. Need a technical manual? Drop me a message. Chilton's for amateurs.
XoXSciFiGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 12:40 PM   #20
jp2code
Software Developer
 
jp2code's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Longview, TX [USA]
Age: 49
Posts: 8,586
Vehicle: 94 LB 2x4 Manual VG33e
Thanks: 1,224
Thanked 1,074 Times in 946 Posts
Default

The easiest way around here to find these trucks on Craigslist is to search using the word Nissan and limit your search to 1997.

That will pull up the occasional 300ZX and some Stanzas, but there are not too many of those to weed through.
__________________
Joe (not a mechanic!) Don't have an account? EMAIL ME
Free Service Manuals: https://ownersmanuals2.com/make/nissan
Walk-through: Checking Nissan Trouble Codes
1994 VG30E to VG33E with H256 Cams

jp2code is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 10:16 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.