Go Back   Infamous Nissan - Hardbody / Frontier Forums > Model Specific > Hardbody Forum (D21)

Old 06-07-2018, 05:49 AM   #1
D-Dub

Vehicle: Nissan D21 1987
Default Wire Harness

Just picked up a 1987 D21 King cab 4x4 with the VG30i and all the options for 1k. 230k miles and very little rust.

The frame is perfect. Runs good, and as I was poking around the engine bay when it was running I was moving the engine harness and it would die. So I tracked it down to a loose TPS plug.

Found out when I went to replace the TPS plug why the truck was so cheap...

Some really interesting wiring in the engine bay, an alarm that is still installed but mostly removed. Lots of extra wires that were clipped and went to plugs that went nowhere, so I pulled them out.

I started replacing the TPS plug because it was melted, looks like something caught on fire at one time, no other evidence of a fire other than the melted plug and some singed wires near the throttle body.

The wire harness looks like maybe it was out of a different model, it had extra things spliced in, and some plugs that went nowhere.

I just unwrapped it all to check it out and make repairs to any sketchy connections, now I'm wrapping it back up and tucking it away and the more I work on it, the more I think I should just replace it for peace of mind.

Where can I find an unmutilated harness?

I plan on having the truck as a second vehicle for the winter months, house chores and getting me to trailheads that my car can not.

Not sure if this will work, but here is a link to some pictures I took: https://photos.app.goo.gl/m5fHYBQpR4BTJ6Qh2

Also, if anyone can post a picture or two of what location the harness should be located, that would help me out a lot as far as routing, so far its like I have an extra 18" of wire.
D-Dub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 03:53 PM   #2
cadillacdude1975
The Gear Jammer

Vehicle: 87 D21 SE KC V6 2wd 5sp & 86.5 V6 SE auto

what a fucking mess. the distributor wire, coil wiring, AC and alternator wiring are bundled up in one section that runs across the front of the motor and clips to the top of the rear timing cover. hang on and i will go take a few pictures under the hood of my 87 V6 truck.
Old 06-07-2018, 04:05 PM   #3
cadillacdude1975
The Gear Jammer

sorry for the sun and the shade. hope this helps sort out that plate of spaghetti you have lol

Old 06-07-2018, 10:01 PM   #4
D-Dub

Thanks! I don't see a picture but I'll check on my computer when I get home. Might be because I'm using my phone.

The only wiring that's not tampered with is everything on the right side of the engine bay, so the distributor, coil, a.c. and alternator are ok.

I did just discover last night a green wire hanging off a sensor in the block just under the distributor. Any idea what that is? Going to pick up a book on the truck today to hopefully save my sanity
Old 06-07-2018, 10:44 PM   #5
cadillacdude1975
The Gear Jammer

Is it hidden behind the rear timing plate, above and to the right of the water pump pulley at like a 45 degree angle? If so, that is the cylinder temp switch.
Old 06-07-2018, 10:46 PM   #6
cadillacdude1975
The Gear Jammer

Part of the harness runs through the rad support area. Wires included in that mess are the AC pressure switch on the drier, passenger headlight/turn signal wiring and the power steering pressure switch.
Old 06-08-2018, 02:33 AM   #7
D-Dub

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillacdude1975 View Post
Is it hidden behind the rear timing plate, above and to the right of the water pump pulley at like a 45 degree angle? If so, that is the cylinder temp switch.
Yep thats the one, I see a blank port with threads on the opposite side of the block as well.

The pictures tell me that the harness I have is not at all the harness that was made for the truck...

After cleaning up the wires, now it won't turn over.... I poked around a bit, but all I get is lights with the key on, no blower, no click of the starter.

Anyone know where I can get a new or used wire harness?
Old 06-08-2018, 02:01 PM   #8
jp2code
Software Developer

Vehicle: 94 LB 2x4 Manual VG33e
Thanked 1,083 Times in 955 Posts

Yikes! What a mess!

Part of the problem with identifying what those plugs are is that Nissan reuses the same style plug in many different spots. Usually, that's a good thing. If you are going to have to replace a plug, you grab one out of the bin. But it makes it hard to identify what plug goes where after you tear all of the harness apart.

In your pictures, I can see things that look like they go to the A/C plug, O2 sensor plug, Power Steering load or A/C load, and the Water Temp switch.

There is a 3-slotted plug w/ a hole and Wagner plug - those 2 are not Nissan. Probably part of the alarm system.
1994 VG30E to VG33E with H256 Cams

jp2code is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 06:30 PM   #9
D-Dub

Thanks! The only thing I can see so far that is not plugged in is the cylinder temp sensor behind the alternator. Just got the FSM so I'm going to do some reading tonight. Anyone have an idea where I can source a main harness?
Old 06-08-2018, 06:49 PM   #10
jp2code
Software Developer

Vehicle: 94 LB 2x4 Manual VG33e
Thanked 1,083 Times in 955 Posts

A wiring harness is going to be tough to find.

Seller's don't list them, because they are not a part that goes bad.

You can make up a detailed message of what you are looking for (engine wiring harness from a 1987 Nissan truck with the V6), and start sending messages to sellers on eBay that list used Nissan D21 parts.

Copy and Paste that message to every one you find.

Out of 20 sellers, you might get 2 or 3 that have it. Then, go with the one you like - might be the best price or it might be someone who sent you more detailed pictures.
1994 VG30E to VG33E with H256 Cams

jp2code is offline   Reply With Quote