Go Back   Infamous Nissan - Hardbody / Frontier Forums > Model Specific > Hardbody Forum (D21)

Old 06-04-2018, 04:30 AM   #1
Natnater

Vehicle: 97 D21 for the most part
Default Overheating issue

Just got back from a run to walmart and when I stopped the car I was greeted with a hissing noise. From what I can tell it's the thing in the pictures. I have no idea what it is or why it would be smoking. I need this truck for work and I have 50 bucks to my name so please somebody tell me it's something easy to fix :/ The heat gauge is about 75% of the way to the top when I run the truck though. If I blast the heater it'll keep it down enough, is that safe do you think? Sorry for the sorry self-speak, it's been a rough year and my not being amassed with life crippling debt/eviction pretty much balance on getting this truck working so hopefully you guys can understand my duress haha

A few days ago I noticed a spark plug wire had somehow popped off my distributor cap. The day that happened was the first time it kinda overheated. That was last wednesday I think. Something made a grinding noise and my heat started to go up so I threw the heater on and drove slowly home. When I saw the spark plug wire had popped off somehow I put it back on, more snugly this time, and figured maybe it had arced onto something else and made something stop working, idk. Now this is happening so I guess that's not it. It'll run really hot until I stop the truck, once the truck is off is whenever the part in the pictures starts steaming. Smells weird too, not quite like burning plastic though. I have no idea how to describe it.

Any help would be appreciated though I won't really be able to work on it at all this week. I'll still have to drive it though, guess I'll just throw the heater on and take it easy. If it breaks it breaks but not driving it is the worse option at the moment.

Image below. I'm sure you all will recognize it but in case you don't this picture is taken from the ground up.

edit: I also noticed coolant under my truck but it was cold so I think it may have been from the last time I parked a couple days ago (I spent my whole weekend indoors how's that for antisocial haha). That did mean that my reservoir was just about empty though. I doubt low coolant is the issue though because something made it overflow at some point. I just filled the thing like a month ago.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20180603_230322792.jpg (97.8 KB, 20 views)

Last edited by Natnater; 06-04-2018 at 04:36 AM.
Natnater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 04:36 AM   #2
91nissan94

Vehicle: 91nissan hb

Water pump probably took a shit. Check it.
91nissan94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Natnater (06-04-2018)
Old 06-04-2018, 04:38 AM   #3
Natnater

shit, that sounds expensive. How do I go about checking that? I've never had to deal with it before.
Old 06-04-2018, 04:38 AM   #4
SBJ
Total Buzzkill

Vehicle: '90 D21 4cyl 5spd 2wd

That's your oil pump. The water pump, thermostat housing and a couple coolant hoses are more or less above it. The coolant is probably dripping down from there. The hissing noise makes me suspect a crack or pinhole leak in one of the hoses. I'd start there. First, pull your radiator cap off and check your coolant level, I'll bet it's low.
SBJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Natnater (06-04-2018)
Old 06-04-2018, 04:45 AM   #5
h.stickeye

Vehicle: 91 Nissan Navara d21 Single Cab

Hang on hang on, before we start talking water pump, which is expensive if u can't do yourself, although not overly complicated, let's start at the start.

1- start truck up, just let it idle while u do these checks. Do it from dead cold, not after uve driven it!

2- open radiator cap and check flow of water across top of fins. It should move noticeably. If not, give car a few revs and check again.

3 - check level of coolant, is it over fins?

4- now check all coolant piping. Don't just look, feel them for hardness and leaking coolant. Check around your thermostat. Check your block, get under car and look for coolant. Use a good light.

4- Once truck is getting hot, listen for fan clutch.

5- report to us what you see hear so far.
h.stickeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Natnater (06-04-2018)
Old 06-04-2018, 04:47 AM   #6
Natnater

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBJ View Post
That's your oil pump. The water pump, thermostat housing and a couple coolant hoses are more or less above it. The coolant is probably dripping down from there. The hissing noise makes me suspect a crack or pinhole leak in one of the hoses. I'd start there. First, pull your radiator cap off and check your coolant level, I'll bet it's low.
yeah, it was empty. I filled it up and I'll check it in the morning to see if there's been any obvious leaking. gonna go mop up the stuff that's already there to make it easier to check too.

What would be the best way for me to check hoses? Are they pretty decently easy to replace?
Old 06-04-2018, 04:50 AM   #7
Natnater

Quote:
Originally Posted by h.stickeye View Post
Hang on hang on, before we start talking water pump, which is expensive if u can't do yourself, although not overly complicated, let's start at the start.

1- start truck up, just let it idle while u do these checks. Do it from dead cold, not after uve driven it!

2- open radiator cap and check flow of water across top of fins. It should move noticeably. If not, give car a few revs and check again.

3 - check level of coolant, is it over fins?

4- now check all coolant piping. Don't just look, feel them for hardness and leaking coolant. Check around your thermostat. Check your block, get under car and look for coolant. Use a good light.

4- Once truck is getting hot, listen for fan clutch.

5- report to us what you see hear so far.

It's still warm from getting back from walmart and I have to go to bed or else I'll be dead for my two jobs tomorrow lol. I'll try to check it in the short time I have between them tomorrow evening. I got a friend to drive me around tomorrow so that'll give the ol' hardbody a break.

What exactly am I listening for with the fan clutch? If a hose isn't hard is that a bad sign? And by that do you mean to feel for if I can squeeze it in?

I'm heading to bed but many thanks to you guys for the help so far. Hopefully this ends up being an easy fix though I should probably start saving here and there for a new car so I can avoid things like this in the future :l
Old 06-04-2018, 04:53 AM   #8
SBJ
Total Buzzkill

Vehicle: '90 D21 4cyl 5spd 2wd

They're not bad at all. The worst one is probably the 90 degree bypass hose by the thermostat. It's a bit of a fucker but doable. Like 91nissan94 says check your water pump to make sure that hissing noise isn't the actually the bearing inside the water pump shitting the bed. The water pump also has a weep hole that's supposed to start leaking coolant once the seal starts to fail. I'd look there too. The hoses are supposed to be dry on the outside so if one of them is leaking it should be pretty apparent. Also, if you do end up having to replace a hose expect to break at least one of the hose clamps.

The water pump isn't bad at all to replace, 4 nuts for the fan clutch and 5 bolts that fasten it to the timing chain cover.
SBJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 08:37 AM   #9
h.stickeye

the big culprit hose is the 'heater return hose' (which im pretty sure SBJ called the return hose above)which is hard to see but down from the thermostat and runs back towards your intake. My bet is on this little f ucker.

the water pump can defs be hissing, thats the coolant entering the bearing area.

to check if water pump weep hole is weeping, get under center your truck and look up, its obvious if it is leaking, otherwise dont worry too much.

I dont know too much about the sound the fan clutch makes in the KA engine, but in the z24 it was slight click and quiet whoosh.

Your main concern is the LOSS of coolant anyway, so thats really what you are looking for. I personally suspect its just been dripping out a little at a time over a few months.

How often do you check your coolant level? It should be checked every week, if doing more than say 150 miles a week. Also, then check your oil at the same time. Trucks this old can develop problems and you wont really know until its hissing/chewing up your head gasket or shitting a valve or timing chain.

EDIT: if you have to replace one hose, DO THEM ALL. You gotta drop all your fluid anyway and you dont want to be doing it again in a few weeks or even months. While you also do it, get new clamps (like SBj said), the nice screw in ones, heavy duty, and do a flush of your engine. Just stick the hose in the intake side and let it run for a while. There are other methods, but seriously they dont much more than a hose does.

Oh, and that heater return bypass hose, or whatever, if you cant get availability easily, just bring the hose in to your local parts shop and get any hose with the same bend and cut down to size.

Whole job should take 2 hours TOPS, and might cost you say 50-100, depending on where you shop.

Last edited by h.stickeye; 06-04-2018 at 08:46 AM.
Old 06-04-2018, 08:40 AM   #10
h.stickeye

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBJ View Post
They're not bad at all. The worst one is probably the 90 degree bypass hose by the thermostat. It's a bit of a fucker but doable. Like 91nissan94 says check your water pump to make sure that hissing noise isn't the actually the bearing inside the water pump shitting the bed. The water pump also has a weep hole that's supposed to start leaking coolant once the seal starts to fail. I'd look there too. The hoses are supposed to be dry on the outside so if one of them is leaking it should be pretty apparent. Also, if you do end up having to replace a hose expect to break at least one of the hose clamps.

The water pump isn't bad at all to replace, 4 nuts for the fan clutch and 5 bolts that fasten it to the timing chain cover.
Good thing its not like the oil pump, thats the shitter.