Go Back   Infamous Nissan - Hardbody / Frontier Forums > Model Specific > Hardbody Forum (D21)

Old 06-08-2018, 04:15 PM   #51
urimashe

Vehicle: nissan hardbody 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by h.stickeye View Post
Just do a ground up lol
That's what it is going to end up being isn't it?
urimashe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 07:36 PM   #52
urimashe

seeing as I am only pulling 12 inch of vacuum at idle, I think there may be an issue, maybe the belt did slip, I took the o2 sensor out and disconnected the egr tube, still sits at 12 inch vacuum, something is going on.
Old 06-09-2018, 09:20 PM   #53
Deerhurst
4/86 SE-V6 2 tone 4x4 HB

Vehicle: 1986.5 Hardbody

I still says vacuum leak. 12in is kinda low. I pull 22in at idle.

Either that or it is very very tired.
VG33i
Deerhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 10:06 PM   #54
urimashe

doubt it is tired, it runs pretty good at idle for that, did some digging, turned the dizzy some more and ended up with 15 in, if i could turn it any more i would get more, but it runs out of room to turn. At this point i am suspecting the base timing is off, perhaps a tooth or two.
Old 06-09-2018, 10:08 PM   #55
urimashe

i am not looking forward to another full engine rebuild, i think i am going to try to replace the seals on the front of the motor when i go in to do the timing belt, then reseal the valve covers. pressure wash the rest of the engine so i can find any other potential leaks in the future.
Old 06-09-2018, 10:10 PM   #56
urimashe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deerhurst View Post
I still says vacuum leak. 12in is kinda low. I pull 22in at idle.

Either that or it is very very tired.
the reason i know its not a vacuum leak at this point is we tested it for a leak with a tool that lets you use propane to check for a leak. no rpm changes, everything is sealed tight.

i even eliminated the egr to rule that out today.

On the plus side, if i do my due diligence i could make a timing replacement and semi reseal build post for the forums enjoyment.
Old 06-09-2018, 11:41 PM   #57
Deerhurst
4/86 SE-V6 2 tone 4x4 HB

Hmm. Very well could be timing related if you got that sort of change with a few degrees. My motor I'm sure is a tooth off and pulles very strong vacuum no matter the timing but my heads and cams are very different.
VG33i
Old 06-10-2018, 12:04 PM   #58
XoXSciFiGuy

Vehicle: 1997 D21 King Cab XE 2WD

Quote:
Originally Posted by urimashe View Post
doubt it is tired, it runs pretty good at idle for that, did some digging, turned the dizzy some more and ended up with 15 in, if i could turn it any more i would get more, but it runs out of room to turn. At this point i am suspecting the base timing is off, perhaps a tooth or two.
This sounds like a faulty mark match on an oil pump install. At absolute TDC, the oil pump flange should be sitting at the 11:25 mark when looking straight down the hole where your distributor was. If it reads anything different, (11:20 or 11:30) the pump is off a tooth. If if were TWO teeth, the engine would hardly run at all and probably backfire.

In order to diagnose this, you have to put that motor at absolute TDC after pulling the dizzy. Big wrench on the crank bolt, neutral gear. Pull the number one spark plug. Bring the motor around a couple of times using the wrench. Stick your finger in the spark plug hole and ensure air is being forced out so you know you are on the compression stroke. Use a screwdriver laid INSIDE the spark plug hole when you know you are on compression stroke. Move the wrench on your crank bolt a little bit back and forth, FEEL the screwdriver to determine when you reach absolute TDC.

Then stop. Look down the hole with a good flashlight. Not 11:25 on the oil pump spindle end? You will have to pull it and reset it right. Do NOT move the engine around with the wrench when doing this. When you get the pump install in the right spot, re-install the dizzy, and check the timing again. Any adjustments should be minimal. Maybe re-paint your timing mark before checking. When timing is good, lock down the distributor for good.

*Old School Guy repair advice only.*

1997 King Cab XE, 5-sp, canopy, AC/PS, KA24E, 114,000 miles. Need a technical manual? Drop me a message. Chilton's for amateurs.

Last edited by XoXSciFiGuy; 06-10-2018 at 12:23 PM.
XoXSciFiGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 01:35 PM   #59
Deerhurst
4/86 SE-V6 2 tone 4x4 HB

Remember, the oil pump on the V6 goes off the crank. There is no way to have the pump be off as it is keyed to the crank. The crank can be slightly off to the cams though.
VG33i
Old 06-23-2018, 08:40 PM   #60
urimashe

hey guys, quick update and question, so I have the vehicle running better, for some reason it has been pulling low vacuum, so one of the older techs in the shop told me I should set the dizzy the old school way off of vacuum, so I measured vacuum and set the timing until I saw 15 inches of vacuum, still low in my book, it idled like shit but it got its power back, (and brakes) I went and threw fresh gas in it and let it idle for awhile, it seems to be smoothing out.

my question is, how peppy is this thing suppose to be? I have the 4 cylinder d21, and it seems to be peppy and it gets up to a cruise quick.

this v6 hardbody seems not to be as peppy, nor does it seem to get up to speed as quick.

I could be just seeing things, (feeling things) but I am not 100% sure, my memory of my 88 and 95 pathfinders with there v6's is fuzzy, but I don't remember them being this sluggish? as of finishing writing this, the truck seems to be idling very well. no check engine lights or anything. still thinking mechanical timing of the belt might be off a tooth or so.

on that side note I have one more question, how hard is it to pull the engine on the v6 manuals? I know the 4 cylinder manuals you have to take the trans with it.