Go Back   Infamous Nissan - Hardbody / Frontier Forums > Tech Area > Wheels and Tires

Old 09-10-2017, 05:05 PM   #1
Tropicalcats

Vehicle: 1995 Nissan King Cab XE
Default School me on tires and rims, Please

I need some schooling.
I need tires on my 95 D21 Extended Cab 2 Wh drive. At first I was just going to put on stock size 195/75/14 and live with that for a while but the more I look at the truck the more I want to fill the wheel well and give the truck a beefed up look.
Without lifting or altering anything what the largest rims/tires I can put on to get that look?
Any pictures of what your running and how you got that look?
Old 09-10-2017, 06:20 PM   #2
ahardb0dy
The Post Count Whore

Vehicle: 1993 Nissan Hardbody

Are you going to keep it at stock height? Or lowering it? Do you want to stay with a 14? or go larger?

On my 93 King cab 2wd at close to stock height I am running 15 x 7 stock Frontier wheels with 215/60/15 tires, I wanted to run 225/60's but the price difference was like $30 per tire, was not in the budget at the time, next time I need tires I may go up to the 225.

My main concern was to keep the tires close to the stock size to get good MPG and keep the speedometer close to stock.

Pic of my truck below:

Current truck - 1993 Nissan Hardbody king cab 2wd
, (formerly owned: 90 Nissan Sentra, 94 Nissan Pathfinder SE 4x4, 05 Nissan Titan, 87 Nissan SE-V6 4x4 king cab, 94 Infiniti Q45t & 80 Datsun 310GX )
ahardb0dy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 06:53 PM   #3
Tropicalcats

Vehicle: 1995 Nissan King Cab XE

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahardb0dy View Post
Are you going to keep it at stock height? Or lowering it? Do you want to stay with a 14? or go larger?

On my 93 King cab 2wd at close to stock height I am running 15 x 7 stock Frontier wheels with 215/60/15 tires, I wanted to run 225/60's but the price difference was like $30 per tire, was not in the budget at the time, next time I need tires I may go up to the 225.

My main concern was to keep the tires close to the stock size to get good MPG and keep the speedometer close to stock.

Pic of my truck below:

Going to keep it stock height and staying with 14 for budget reason unless I can find a good deal before I have to buy. I did find a set of tires on 17 inch rims for a good price. Just waiting to hear back from the guy.
Old 12-16-2017, 04:02 PM   #4
TWX
Glutton for Punishment

Vehicle: 2015 Nissan Frontier Crew Cab LWB 4x4

I had 205-somethingorothers on my 14" steel wheels on my '95 2wd KC and it looked fine, handled fine. Come to think of it, both of the '95s had the bigger tires. They were much more readily available.

The first '95 the speedo read just a hair low, if I was going 65 the speedometer only read 62-63, but on the second '95 it read-true with the slightly bigger tires.

The only real problem with the 14" wheels is there are no heavier-rated tires for them anymore unless you go with expensive tires for the VW van restorations. I had strongly considered going to 15" wheels next time I needed tires, part because I figured someone selling their takeoffs from their '98-'04 Frontier might yield a cheap price for some good rubber plus the wheels themselves. If you use your truck for its designed purpose then you may want to look at 15" wheels simply because you can get sturdier tires, possibly even LT tires, compared to passenger car tires for the 14".

I suppose I should add, since the non-Desert-Runner D22 Frontiers are so similar to the D21 Hardbody 2wd, I would expect wheels and tires that fit the non-Desert-Runners would fit without issues.

Former:
"Good Twin" 1995 Hardbody King Cab 4x2 KA24E 5spd, Cloud White, Federal Emissions
"Evil Twin" 1995 Hardbody King Cab 4x2 KA24E 5spd, Cloud White, California Emissions
1989 Hardbody Regular Cab Short Bed 4x2 Z24 5spd, Black
TWX is offline   Reply With Quote