Go Back   Infamous Nissan - Hardbody / Frontier Forums > My Infamous Nissan > Project Build Log

Old 09-17-2017, 12:35 AM   #21
crowew

Vehicle: 1988 D21 Desert Runner

Has anyone ever has issues with Evaporust? Mine is leaving this pretty awful yellow residue that's like some kind of sticky grease. I'm going to try acetone to remove tomorrow. And then on to the sealing and fuel pump install!
crowew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 05:41 PM   #22
crowew

So I sort of figured out how to get rid of the sludge, in case someone in the future needs to. Acetone or Laquer Thinner will do it.

Anyways,
Today I got the fuel tank cleaned up as best I can I think and have reinstalled the pump. For those who might have issues with the pump wiring, I tested it and it's positive on the left and negative on the right. I replaced most of the clamps and hoses. I've found I much prefer Rustoleum's Rust Remover to Evaporust as the Rustoleum product is acid based and doesn't leave a film on the hardware.

I'm going to install without removing the bed, so I'll hook up all my fuel lines to the tank and then install the tank and then install the fuel lines to the hard lines/evap equipment.

I have now completed de-rusting both rear 1/4s, but the rear bumper is yet to be done. For now I'm not de-rusting much until it starts on its own accord, then I'll move up to the front end and get that taken care of and install my new brake caliper/de-rust everything.

For some reason my phone isn't uploading images today, so I'll add pictures later.
Old 09-18-2017, 11:25 PM   #23
crowew

So I've gotten the tank about halfway installed now. It's really convenient that the tank has the integrated nuts on one side and screws to the mount on the other side. It's like it was designed for one person to do it, so props to 80's nissan. Anyways, here's a short video of it halfway installed and what I've gotten hooked up. https://youtu.be/MR3jxI017mc

Hooking up the rest of the lines and tightening down what I have is going to be a nightmare, but a nightmare that will wait for another day.

Once I have it running I'll update my initial post so people dont have to read through my immensely boring daily tasks.

Here is what the tank looked like pre-install:
Old 09-20-2017, 12:36 AM   #24
crowew

Tonight I got the fuel tank installed all the way and got to test out the fuel pump to make sure it worked on the truck. Here's a "video" where you can hear the fuel pump activate, I'm sure this is way more exciting to me than to you. https://youtu.be/8gtz9gb2EJQ

Never rely on me for useful information as I have no idea what I'm doing. Ever.
Old 09-20-2017, 02:02 PM   #25
OldGreyBeast
1986.5 HB 4x4 3.0V6

Vehicle: 1986.5 Nissan D21, 1987 Mercedes 190D Turbo, 2010 Mercedes E350 AWD

Odd. I used a lot of evaporust when I was rebuilding the interior of my truck. I never had any residue at all.
Old 09-20-2017, 08:50 PM   #26
crowew

According to the internet if you use evaporust without removing ALL of the grease first it'll react with that grease into a thin horrible yellow film.

Anyways. Today I got it to start. and start it does! Video if first start here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJW1nSn_DDw

So now I need to make sure there is oil in the engine and get to work on the brakes!

Old 09-28-2017, 01:23 PM   #27
crowew

Last night I got a little more done on the truck. Got the battery all charged up. Started going through the clutch hydraulics. The fluid in it was almost black and I'm worried that the seals have rotted. When i try to pull fluid through only very little fluid gets vacc'd through. I have drained and filled the master cylinder a couple times. I think the master cylinder is dead. I've got the parts for the clutch damper delete and will do that before too long, and I've gotten a new slave cylinder. I'll install that before my next update.

My ridiculous 15 dollar banjo bolt comes in today so I'll be able to finally install this new caliper and get the brakes working (hopefully). I've been soaking the bleeder valves in PB blaster almost daily hoping they'll come out without breaking off.

I found there IS oil in the engine (yay). But it's pretty old so I'll replace it soon. In like a week I'll do a big update to the first post.

Old 10-06-2017, 03:30 PM   #28
crowew

Last night I went ahead and replaced the slave and master clutch cylinders with Exedy units, I also deleted the clutch damper. For some reason my slave cylinder was a pain in the ass to remove.

I was trying to bleed the clutch, but I think the piston was stuck and no fluid was passing through to my vac unit. I hope this will have resolved this issue, but I haven't tried to bleed it yet. The same thing is happening with the brakes, so I suppose I'll probably have to replace the master cylinder there too.

I also went ahead and removed the lower front lights. They do not work at all (even with 12V direct to them), so I'll replace them with some Hella lights probably.

Old 11-11-2017, 06:33 PM   #29
crowew

Well I'm into the stuff I hate. Brakes and clutch. As mentioned before I replaced the clutch master and slave. I've also replaced the front driver's side caliper (well.. I put one there.. there wasn't one with the truck), put coolant in the radiator (in time for winter) and have bled the brakes and clutch, evidently not enough, though. The clutch almost works, but doesn't, and the brakes definitely dont work. I think the master is done, as it did sit dry for years and years and then my stupid self got in and hit the brakes and played with it dry (man that sounds bad).

So I'll order a new master brake cylinder sometime and pray that fixes it. I've also done an oil change and probably some other boring stuff (the never ending rust spot and fix game continues).

Hopefully at next update I'll have brakes and a clutch.

Old 11-11-2017, 08:26 PM   #30
alabama_lowlife
Owner and Administrator

Vehicle: 2011 Nissan Frontier, 08 altima, 1970 Datsun 521, 1995 Nissan Hardbody
Thanked 1,556 Times in 1,270 Posts

Try bleeding the clutch dampener on the passenger side firewall.