Go Back   Infamous Nissan - Hardbody / Frontier Forums > My Infamous Nissan > Project Build Log

Old 09-08-2017, 01:51 AM   #11
crowew

Vehicle: 1988 D21 Desert Runner

Your wish is my command:

My dad and I drug this out of some guys backyard 6 years ago with the 3800 already sitting in it for a grand total of 0 dollars. Came with brand new Tokico coilovers and a ton of brand new nissan/datsun parts.

Basically every time I visit my parents we make some incremental amount of progress on the car.

Update for the Desert Runner:
Gallon of evaporust and new respirator filters came in today. Maybe this weekend I'll get some more rust work done before my fuel pump and all comes in next week. If I'm awfully lucky I'll have it running in a week... if i'm awfully unlucky I'll have it running next summer. It looks like I'll have to take the bed off to actually resinstall the fuel tank... I guess that'll give me a chance to de-rust the bed/top of the frame there too and re-finish the roll bars in sweet sweet rattlecan black.
crowew is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
YEPEE (09-11-2017)
Old 09-08-2017, 03:18 AM   #12
synbiotic12

Vehicle: 2004 Frontier 2WD (sold), 1993 D21 4x4

I know it seems like a pain but taking the bed off is worth it, gives you the chance to inspect and address any issues while you have it off.
Just be careful when you line it back up mine never ever did go back on perfectly straight.
2007 Subaru Impreza wagon 2.5i
synbiotic12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 11:36 AM   #13
crowew

I know the bed is held on with bolts, and generally know the locations, but any tips to get it to line back up right for the reinstall?

Also will I need help moving the bed, or is it not super heavy once you remove the tailgate and, in my case, the light bars?
Old 09-08-2017, 02:54 PM   #14
synbiotic12

Vehicle: 2004 Frontier 2WD (sold), 1993 D21 4x4

I just didn't pay any attention when I reinstalled the bolts and the bed went on slightly crooked, i'm just letting you know so you think to check that before tightening it all down.
You'll want another person to help you lift it off, or a few ratchet straps hung from the ceiling
2007 Subaru Impreza wagon 2.5i
synbiotic12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 08:37 PM   #15
crowew

I guess for now I'll keep the bed on, but later it'll definitely be something to do. Finished preliminary rust removal/neutralization on the rear driver's side and moved the the rear passenger side.

Went ahead and took a little video of how the rust situation is in the fuel tank right now: https://youtu.be/XC5XEyO7fgQ

I went ahead and added a mixture of simple green and vinegar to it to let it set for a couple days and eat away at all the junk on the bottom. I'll be doing the POR kit on the tank later this week.

Last edited by crowew; 09-11-2017 at 02:02 PM.
Old 09-11-2017, 08:25 PM   #16
crowew

Today my fuel pump and Haynes Manual came in. Its a super cheap pump, but it doesn't appear too bad, I guess I wont know till I have it working though.

I know the haynes manual isn't great for this truck, but I like pretty pictures, okay?

Anyways, here's the pump I'm using.

I've also pulled all the old soft lines off and all so I can have fresh lines when I put it back together. Tomorrow the fuel filter should come in, when I install that I'll be sure to run carb cleaner through the hard fuel lines to clean them out and let them dry.

I'll have a progress report tomorrow on the fuel tank situation, I want to let the vinegar simple green mixture sit for at least another day before I mess with it.
Old 09-12-2017, 05:36 PM   #17
Reserector
the Flaming Marshmallow

Vehicle: Nissan HB KC 4x4

I wish you lived closer. I have a complete 4x4 tank and pump that I removed a couple years ago, just sitting in my yard in Laurel Mississippi. Nothing wrong with it. I did a major power train swap, and this was no longer needed.

You can have it if you can come get it, or find someone going that way. I really don't want to ship a used gas tank. Not sure if you can, legally. But I don't have the heart to throw it away.
Reserector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 03:04 PM   #18
crowew

Honestly the more I'm cleaning it the more I'm realizing that this tank isn't actually that bad, but it just has a ton of junk in it. Currently done degreasing and letting it set in evaporust before I finish it off with metalprep and POR15's fuel tank sealer.
Old 09-14-2017, 01:23 AM   #19
crowew

Day 3 of tank cleaning. Here is what I have. I think basically all that is left is rust, not grease at this point.. Comparing this video to my earlier one there is definitely a lot of progress made. https://youtu.be/QvmeBtDkn7o
Also replaced the fuel filter and ran some carb cleaner through the lines to hopefully clean them a little bit. Maybe I'll pull the spark plugs and clean them up before I try to start it next week.

Tomorrow: Rust Converter with POR15 Metal Prep
Friday: POR15 Fuel Tank Sealer
Saturday: Fuel pump install & New fuel lines/fittings

Baby steps, Gentlemen. Baby steps.

Reminder to future self: Make sure there's oil in the truck before trying to start it. Remember there is no coolant.

Last edited by crowew; 09-14-2017 at 01:58 AM.
Old 09-14-2017, 01:32 AM   #20
crowew

Double Post. Whoopsies.