Go Back   Infamous Nissan - Hardbody / Frontier Forums > Model Specific > 05+ Frontier Forum (D40)

Old 07-29-2014, 03:03 PM   #1
whootwhoot

Vehicle: 97' Nissan d21 4x4
Default D40 Radiator/Tranny Issue

Hey guys,
I'm looking at an 06 Nismo this evening and was concerned about the radiator leaking into the transmission issue that I've been seeing related to these trucks. Was curious if this applies to the Manual or Automatic trans or both. Want to make sure this has been taken care of before I make the purchase. Thanks!
whootwhoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 03:13 PM   #2
alabama_lowlife
Owner and Administrator

Vehicle: 2011 Nissan Frontier, 08 altima, 1970 Datsun 521, 1995 Nissan Hardbody
Thanked 1,556 Times in 1,270 Posts

I'm aware that there was some sort of issue, but I'm not up on the specifics of it. Generally speaking, manual transmissions don't run the gear oil through a cooler. Maybe Nissan did something a little different and I'm not aware of it. The automatics will most certainly have been run through the radiator. I'm not sure what the fix for the issue was. Could be just a new radiator that wasn't prone to failure and contaminating the transmission. Or they could have added a stand alone transmission fluid cooler. My advice is to check out one of the forums that has more traffic from newer frontier owners, I think clubfrontier.org would be a good place to look. Maybe one of our guys that own a newer frontier knows more about this
Old 07-29-2014, 04:19 PM   #3
whootwhoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by alabama_lowlife View Post
I'm aware that there was some sort of issue, but I'm not up on the specifics of it. Generally speaking, manual transmissions don't run the gear oil through a cooler. Maybe Nissan did something a little different and I'm not aware of it. The automatics will most certainly have been run through the radiator. I'm not sure what the fix for the issue was. Could be just a new radiator that wasn't prone to failure and contaminating the transmission. Or they could have added a stand alone transmission fluid cooler. My advice is to check out one of the forums that has more traffic from newer frontier owners, I think clubfrontier.org would be a good place to look. Maybe one of our guys that own a newer frontier knows more about this
Thanks for the advice alabama. This is what I thought too but I didn't know if the manual gear boxes on these trucks run hotter for some reason and Nissan decided to throw on a cooler. I'll keep doing my research. Found a ton of posts about the issue and non of them say anything about the trans type.
Old 07-30-2014, 09:48 AM   #4
DRAGGINBOOGER

Vehicle: 1995 reg cab bagged, 1997 reg cab static, 2001 corvette, 2013 lexus ct200h, 2010 frontier

It was the automatic transmissions. The trans cooler ran thru the radiator. So the coolant line and trans cooler line ran side by side. They have a problem with them leaking into one another and causing serious transmission issues. If you get the auto all you have to do it take the trans cooler out of the radiator by getting a stand alone cooler and block off the inlet and outlet on radiator and it should fix the issue before it happens!
Old 07-31-2014, 01:46 PM   #5
whootwhoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRAGGINBOOGER View Post
It was the automatic transmissions. The trans cooler ran thru the radiator. So the coolant line and trans cooler line ran side by side. They have a problem with them leaking into one another and causing serious transmission issues. If you get the auto all you have to do it take the trans cooler out of the radiator by getting a stand alone cooler and block off the inlet and outlet on radiator and it should fix the issue before it happens!
Thanks for the confirmation! This was a 6 speed so no worries there.

The car was super nice but you could tell the previous owner didn't change the oil very often. The oil was a quart low and had a tiny bit of sludge on the bottom of the dipstick. Looked inside the filler cap and it looked pretty dirty as well. Decided not to go with it. Would have been awesome though... The search continues. I REALLY WANT A NISMO NOW!