Go Back   Infamous Nissan - Hardbody / Frontier Forums > Model Specific > Nissan SUV

Old 08-09-2014, 12:58 AM   #11
cadillacdude1975
The Gear Jammer

Vehicle: 87 D21 SE KC V6 2wd 5sp & 86.5 V6 SE auto

as long as the radiator is full and there is no air in the system, the temp issue is most likely a bad fan clutch. with the engine warm and running, see if the fan is spinning slow. mine was so bad i could stop it with my hand with the engine idling.

the big issue with the V6 is the timing belt. you have to be sure that was done recently. if it breaks, that is a costly problem. the 3.0 is an interference engine, meaning if the belt breaks, valve and or piston damage will happen.

when the timing belt is done, a few key things to do while the front is off the engine is the water pump, timing belt and tensioner, all hoses on the front of the engine, including the one behind the rear timing cover, the cam seals and front main seal.

that about covers what to be looking for with the 3.0 well that and broken exhaust studs. notorious problem with the hardbody in general. that might be part of the gas smell too besides the floorpan holes.
WRLiv (08-09-2014)
Old 08-09-2014, 10:10 AM   #12
WRLiv
Nissan Addict for LIFE

Vehicle: Nissan Hardbody, 1996

Awesome, thanks man. I wasn't sure if the 3.0s were an interference engine or not, and I forgot about the exhaust studs, haven't actually had to deal with any broken ones yet.
  • 2015 Metallic Blue KC SV-V6 6 Speed Manual Frontier with just over 13,000 miles!!
WRLiv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 09:55 PM   #13
91D21ORIGINAL

Vehicle: 1991 Nissan D21

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRLiv View Post
Just got back from picking up a new ride. I said I'd never own anything older than me, but... It's an '89 2 Door Pathfinder SE-V6 4x4. It has all the goodies; power windows & mirrors, a sunroof, cruise control, manual trans... The body looks amazing, so does the interior, but I does have the Pathfinder rust hole under the rear seats, and on the passenger fender, but other than that it's just surface rust.

Opposite of my family. All my siblings have only owned cars older than them (including myself - my truck is 2 months older). Not that we can't afford newer cars, but its preference. Grew up loving classic, older vehicles. 1990 is still too new to me - I want to get into a 1976 car I fell in love with 5 years ago, but may have to have a newer dd just in case.
Old 08-09-2014, 11:26 PM   #14
david29
Administrator

Vehicle: 1987 Nissan King Cab

Sure glad my 89 2 door is rust free.
The rust u speak of is typical for northern trucks. That's how I know where half the Pathfinders I find in yards come from.
Old 08-10-2014, 02:36 AM   #15
WRLiv
Nissan Addict for LIFE

Yea, I knew it was going to be there before I even looked at it, I'm just glad the body looks as good as it does.
Nine time out of ten, if there's a Nissan truck/Pathfinder from this generation in the junkyard it's because of the rust.
  • 2015 Metallic Blue KC SV-V6 6 Speed Manual Frontier with just over 13,000 miles!!
Old 08-13-2014, 10:36 AM   #16
WRLiv
Nissan Addict for LIFE

Quote:
Originally Posted by 91D21ORIGINAL View Post
Opposite of my family. All my siblings have only owned cars older than them (including myself - my truck is 2 months older). Not that we can't afford newer cars, but its preference. Grew up loving classic, older vehicles. 1990 is still too new to me - I want to get into a 1976 car I fell in love with 5 years ago, but may have to have a newer dd just in case.
That rule applies to pretty much everything with me; music, TV shows, games, movies (with the exception of some Disney movies) and vehicles. The main reason for the vehicles is because the older they are the more money they tend to need, and around here after five years they start rusting... And I hate rust.
And I don't like where the new cars are headed nowadays. They look good and all, but all the computers in them now, I don't like it. I sound like an old man here, but I can't stand the drive by wire crap, I like feeling what's going on with the car, knowing exactly where the throttle is at and where the front tires are pointed just by feeling the resistance of the mechanics doing the work. Every time I get in a newer vehicle I find myself doing well over the speed limit because I can't feel the peddle under my foot...

Anyway... there's an exception to every rule right? Well Nissans are the exception to mine. lol