Go Back   Infamous Nissan - Hardbody / Frontier Forums > Tech Area > Engine and Drivetrain

Old 11-06-2018, 04:40 PM   #1
hotrod_sxty8

Vehicle: 1996 nissan frontier
Default time for a rebuild..not a timing chain!

I thought it might have a spun bearing, or the timing chain rattle so I pulled the valve cover. timing chain was extremely loose it had bad wear on both sides so I started the tining chain replacement knowing full well that it may not fix the rattle/knocking.

I pulled the timing chain cover did the chain then pulled the oil pan down to try and get any debris out of it. once the pan was down I could reach up onto the #1 connecting rod and it has a lot of play sooo...since I already have half of the engine apart I'm just going to pull it and do a short block rebuild. the truck only has 100k on it and the internal on the engine are really clean.

I do have acess to a donor motor( it has a valve tick) that I could switch the block out with and work on this block over the winter so I may go that route.

so what kits do you guys reccomend?

short video of the knock...

Last edited by hotrod_sxty8; 11-06-2018 at 04:46 PM.
hotrod_sxty8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 04:55 PM   #2
alabama_lowlife
Owner and Administrator

Vehicle: 08 altima, 1970 Datsun 521, 1995 Nissan Hardbody x2
Thanked 1,586 Times in 1,298 Posts

If the other engine just has a valve tick you could clean up the hydraulic lash adjusters to stop the ticking and use that engine while you rebuild the one that’s in the truck now.
Old 11-06-2018, 09:30 PM   #3
hotrod_sxty8

Quote:
Originally Posted by alabama_lowlife View Post
If the other engine just has a valve tick you could clean up the hydraulic lash adjusters to stop the ticking and use that engine while you rebuild the one thatís in the truck now.

I may go that route too, really depends on the condition of the other motor...its a friend of a friend kinda deal so I have no real way of knowing its condition yet. I can get the engine cheap enough I can switch heads if needed and only be out the gasket costs. Then rebuild the donor head along with my block.If its worth saving.
Old 11-06-2018, 10:29 PM   #4
street_rulerr

Vehicle: 1996 4x4 5spd

or just swap it. why rebuild something when you have basically a good engine on a stand right now?
street_rulerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 11:31 PM   #5
cadillacdude1975
The Gear Jammer

Vehicle: 87 D21 SE KC V6 2wd 5sp & 86.5 V6 SE auto

Yeah that is making a good amount of noise. I would swap them as long as the other one is good.
Old 11-15-2018, 04:49 PM   #6
hotrod_sxty8

Engine is toast, timing chain guide failure let the timing chain grind into the fixed guide and sent the metal thru the engine.. the rod bearings are toast #1 rod bearing is gone, crank bearings are shot and crank is damaged at #1 rod.

good news is donor motor is in great shape! I stripped it down and inspected everything it is an older ka24 engine with the old style of timing chain guides I plan on using the new timing chain guides and new oil pump, I have not pulled the head just yet that will be in the next day or so. that will determing if I end up doing a full rebuild or just gasket kit and run it. FWIW the engine is spotless inside no gunk buildup anywhere, I pulled the oil filter and cut it open it was just dirty no metal, nor was there any metal in the oil pan. (magnets how do they work?)

that is all for now...