Go Back   Infamous Nissan - Hardbody / Frontier Forums > Model Specific > Hardbody Forum (D21)

Old 11-15-2018, 12:08 PM   #18351
Hands On
XXXXXXXXXXXX

Vehicle: A Hardbody

Quote:
Originally Posted by djs View Post
Oil and filter. Also picked up a new air filter for it at Wally World. Been awhile since I last changed it. Took off top of air cleaner and found a deluxe mouse condo! Totally covered the air filter. Thankfully they didn't chew thru the filter. Also removed air box and pipe to make sure no more stuff in there and cleaned the MAF. No idea how long it has been like this. Weird. I drive it everyday.

Surprised they had the filter in stock at Walmart.

Did oil and filter yesterday too and learned that the boots on both upper balljoints are blown tf out. They looked fine in April when I did front brakes.

At least now I don't feel so bad I didn't get an alignment back when I should have. Could probably just replace boots because there doesn't seem to be any wear. Assume this is because It Never Rains In Southern California, so the grease never got washed out and prevented dirt from getting into the joint. Nevertheless, I ordered TRW balljoints and Moog swaybar endlinks w/ poly bushings. Should be changing tomorrow evening so long as nothing gets in the way.
Old 11-15-2018, 12:53 PM   #18352
jp2code
Software Developer

Vehicle: 94 LB 2x4 Manual VG33e
Thanked 1,104 Times in 974 Posts

That reminds me of something I learned yesterday from an engineer who works at a plant that manufactures bearings and seals.

When lubricating joints with a grease zerk, never grease it until the grease starts to come out. Apparently, doing that weakens the grease seal and allows foreign contaminates (dirt) to enter the areas - which is the #1 cause of bearing failure.

So, never grease a joint until grease starts to come out.

Who knew?
1994 VG30E to VG33E with H256 Cams

jp2code is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Hands On (11-15-2018)
Old 11-15-2018, 12:53 PM   #18353
jp2code
Software Developer

Vehicle: 94 LB 2x4 Manual VG33e
Thanked 1,104 Times in 974 Posts

That reminds me of something I learned yesterday from an engineer who works at a plant that manufactures bearings and seals.

When lubricating joints with a grease zerk, never grease it until the grease starts to come out. Apparently, doing that weakens the grease seal and allows foreign contaminates (dirt) to enter the areas - which is the #1 cause of bearing failure.

So, never grease a joint until grease starts to come out.

Who knew?
1994 VG30E to VG33E with H256 Cams

jp2code is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 03:40 PM   #18354
street_rulerr

Vehicle: 1996 4x4 5spd

i did. youre literally forcing grease past the seal and moving the seal. kinda intuitive i thought.
street_rulerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 06:22 PM   #18355
Reserector
the Flaming Marshmallow

Vehicle: Nissan HB KC 4x4

[stir_pot] That's like saying "Don't break wind, or you might get underwear lint in your butt hole, which is the leading cause of male cervical cancer."

But seriously, the seal is essentially like a check valve. Grease can push it open and escape, but once it does, the seal closes again. How do contaminates get in past escaping grease? That would be like getting into an elevator while the others are still getting out. [/stir_pot]
Reserector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 07:13 PM   #18356
OldGreyBeast
1986.5 HB 4x4 3.0V6

Vehicle: 1986.5 Nissan D21, 1987 Mercedes 190D Turbo, 2010 Mercedes E350 AWD

Quote:
2 tanks of gas!?

Yep. Took 1 tank to get there and another to get back. The majority of the drive was at 70-80mph, so my average MPG was about 13.
Old 11-15-2018, 09:28 PM   #18357
h.stickeye

Vehicle: 91 Nissan Navara d21 Single Cab
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reserector View Post
[stir_pot] That's like saying "Don't break wind, or you might get underwear lint in your butt hole, which is the leading cause of male cervical cancer."

But seriously, the seal is essentially like a check valve. Grease can push it open and escape, but once it does, the seal closes again. How do contaminates get in past escaping grease? That would be like getting into an elevator while the others are still getting out. [/stir_pot]
What a concise and well argued point!
h.stickeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 09:12 AM   #18358
djs

Vehicle: 1995 2wd hardbody

Underwear lint in your butthole.....
Old 11-16-2018, 09:15 AM   #18359
djs

Vehicle: 1995 2wd hardbody

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hands On View Post
Surprised they had the filter in stock at Walmart.

Did oil and filter yesterday too and learned that the boots on both upper balljoints are blown tf out. They looked fine in April when I did front brakes.

At least now I don't feel so bad I didn't get an alignment back when I should have. Could probably just replace boots because there doesn't seem to be any wear. Assume this is because It Never Rains In Southern California, so the grease never got washed out and prevented dirt from getting into the joint. Nevertheless, I ordered TRW balljoints and Moog swaybar endlinks w/ poly bushings. Should be changing tomorrow evening so long as nothing gets in the way.
Yup Wally had 2 of them, fram CA6850. $10.00. You doing upper and lower ball joints?
Old 11-16-2018, 08:59 PM   #18360
Hands On
XXXXXXXXXXXX

Vehicle: A Hardbody

Quote:
Yup Wally had 2 of them, fram CA6850. $10.00. You doing upper and lower ball joints?

Just upper. God damn balljoint sounded like a loud ass firecracker when it let loose, and the boot looked like the LOL WUT pear. Other side was worse.

Lowers were fine. Everything looks good for now. Didn't do even a crude measurement, but the front wheels appear to have less camber now for some reason. There was no play in the old ball joints. Maybe I'm imagining shit. Need alignment now either way.

Also painted the A-pillar trim because the Pathfinder tweeter panels are darker than what came in my truck. Duplicolor vinyl&fabric dye is a good color match. Have had very good results with this product over the years and it's about half the price of SEM.

And installed Euro ATC fuses because they look cool and can see if they're burnt without having to remove them.