Go Back   Infamous Nissan - Hardbody / Frontier Forums > Tech Area > Engine and Drivetrain

Old 09-27-2018, 09:29 PM   #1
tommygunnah

Vehicle: Nissan Hardbody 1986
Default Weird issues with thermostat

Hey everyone,

I recently picked up a 86 HB with a z24i.. I drove it back about 120 miles and never had any issues, needle stayed right in the middle. After a week or so of driving I noticed it started to creep up. Low and behold I check the coolant reservoir and its empty. I look around and don't see any leaks. I fill it up and now while driving it doesn't go all the way to H but sits here.

https://imgur.com/zMLWHke

I already purchased a thermostat and have been meaning to do a flush soon. I'm just hoping the coolant isn't leaking in to the engine itself . I don't see any kind of smoke coming from the exhaust and she runs really well so not sure if I need to check anything else? I'm doing a full flush this weekend and replacing the thermostat regardless but figured I would get your folks input.

As always, thanks!

-TG
tommygunnah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 10:12 PM   #2
alabama_lowlife
Owner and Administrator

Vehicle: 08 altima, 1970 Datsun 521, 1995 Nissan Hardbody x2
Thanked 1,586 Times in 1,298 Posts

I would recommend a genuine Nissan thermostat, I’ve had trouble with aftermarket thermostats. It sounds like you have a leak somewhere. You can get dye at the parts store that will help you find leaks. I had a leak from a very tiny crack that it took me many months to finally track down without dye. It was in the top of the radiator.
Old 09-27-2018, 10:35 PM   #3
cadillacdude1975
The Gear Jammer

Vehicle: 87 D21 SE KC V6 2wd 5sp & 86.5 V6 SE auto

Mine kept loosing coolant. I could smell it, but never saw any. I rented a coolant pressure tester from oriellys and I found the leak. I had 5 hose clamps that were letting coolant seep out under pressure.
Old 09-27-2018, 10:42 PM   #4
Cusser

Vehicle: 2004 Frontier

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillacdude1975 View Post
Mine kept loosing coolant. I could smell it, but never saw any. I rented a coolant pressure tester from oriellys and I found the leak.

This is the correct path to take. Find and fix the leak(s). I was wondering why you thought the thermostat was to blame.
2004 Frontier King Cab (2WD, 5-speed, 4-cylinder, 98.5K), 1998 Frontier regular cab (2WD, 5-speed, 4-cylinder 225K), 1988 Mazda B2200 (2WD, 5-speed, 4-cylinder, 214K), 1971 VW Convertible (140K), 2005 Yukon (180K), 1970 VW (260+K)
Cusser is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
cadillacdude1975 (09-29-2018)
Old 09-27-2018, 11:10 PM   #5
tommygunnah

Perfect, thank you guys. I will go ahead and do the pressure testing and get back to you!

Do you think its still ok to drive for a little bit with it being a bit above the middle? This is my only vehicle at the moment.

-TG
Old 09-28-2018, 12:26 AM   #6
bodydub

Vehicle: 1991 Nissan D21

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommygunnah View Post
Hey everyone,

I recently picked up a 86 HB with a z24i.. I drove it back about 120 miles and never had any issues, needle stayed right in the middle. After a week or so of driving I noticed it started to creep up. Low and behold I check the coolant reservoir and its empty. I look around and don't see any leaks. I fill it up and now while driving it doesn't go all the way to H but sits here.

https://imgur.com/zMLWHke

I already purchased a thermostat and have been meaning to do a flush soon. I'm just hoping the coolant isn't leaking in to the engine itself . I don't see any kind of smoke coming from the exhaust and she runs really well so not sure if I need to check anything else? I'm doing a full flush this weekend and replacing the thermostat regardless but figured I would get your folks input.

As always, thanks!

-TG

Did you check the actual radiator coolant level? I'm pretty sure the reservoir is an overflow and doesn't suck it back in when it's low. You could also check the oil dipstick to see if your oil looks milky.............

Quote:
Perfect, thank you guys. I will go ahead and do the pressure testing and get back to you!

Do you think its still ok to drive for a little bit with it being a bit above the middle? This is my only vehicle at the moment.

-TG
You could, but I would keep looking at the TEMP as you drive. Then there's the chance it would overheat. If there is any other way you could get around without driving it then do that. In the meantime you could trace the coolant lines to try to locate leaks. There aren't too may hoses to chase down.........................
bodydub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2018, 06:51 PM   #7
tommygunnah

Going to rent the pressure tester today and see if I can find any leaks.. I also ordered the thermostat through nissan for $30 bucks and should be in tomorrow. I'm going to hopefully run the pressure tester > find and fix leak > flush radiator as its dirty in color > change thermostat > and hopefully have it running smooth again. Going to make a video on my adventure and post to youtube

@bodydub I did check the dipstick and thank god its not milky
Old 09-29-2018, 06:56 PM   #8
bodydub

Vehicle: 1991 Nissan D21

Quote:
Going to rent the pressure tester today and see if I can find any leaks.. I also ordered the thermostat through nissan for $30 bucks and should be in tomorrow. I'm going to hopefully run the pressure tester > find and fix leak > flush radiator as its dirty in color > change thermostat > and hopefully have it running smooth again. Going to make a video on my adventure and post to youtube

@bodydub I did check the dipstick and thank god its not milky

Good luck brother. I know when I changed my stat I also changed the water pump.......
bodydub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 10:32 PM   #9
cadillacdude1975
The Gear Jammer

Vehicle: 87 D21 SE KC V6 2wd 5sp & 86.5 V6 SE auto

the pressure tester is the bees knees. i gave it 20 PSI, which was far more than the operating pressure. the beauty of it is you will see the leak on the gauge as the pressure starts dropping and you will probably hear the coolant spraying as well. it wont take long to find the leak.