Go Back   Infamous Nissan - Hardbody / Frontier Forums > Model Specific > The Other Forum

Old 07-24-2017, 05:19 AM   #31
SBJ
Total Buzzkill

Vehicle: '90 D21 4cyl 5spd 2wd

Heater core in a modular era Ford Econoline van. Surprisingly not that bad of a job, the hardest part is releasing those stupid disconnect fittings on the lines themselves. I WILL buy the special tool next time I have to do one of these. Other than that you remove a couple dash panels and one of the dash mounts then unbolt the front half of the black box it lives in and it practically drops out of there. Next time I could probably do it in about an hour. The same job is a real PITA in the trucks...the whole frickin dash has to come off. Vans are kind of like Subarus in the sense that things that would be easy on a regular car or truck are more difficult and vice-versa.
SBJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 03:57 PM   #32
estetic
ADMIN

Vehicle: 91 HB

Working on Vans in general is the pits... Had a 98 4.3 astro in the stable for a bit, affectionately named the 'Silver Suck Ass'. Did plugs on that thing one time and had one head with chewed up threads, all but impossible to reach/deal with - never prayed so much in my life running that thread chaser in an out. Basically needed to do some from inside the 'dog house' (engine cover between the seats) and the others from the wheel wells

Thing LOVED to burn up fuel pumps - did one in the driveway in January with 24" of snow surrounding the little 'snow fort' I dug out to drop a full tank of gas and swap the pumps - stripped a mounting strap bolt that day...
Old 07-24-2017, 06:30 PM   #33
Cafe'
Bored

Vehicle: Nissan d21 1992

1st would by my DD 2003 VW jetta 2.0. That cam sensor is behind the timing gear. So all top end timing components have to be taken out to change out a $20 sensor.

2ND: would be a Isuzu rodeo I got one time 'no clue why;
but that dumb thing had so many problems. I was downtown Nashville in it on 2ND ave, the dumb thing broke down and caught fire. it would randomly shut down while drving. All I did was put it in neutral (manual 5sp), start It back up and keep going. I lost so much money on that SUV, I hated it to the core and fully disclosed my pure hate for that thing when I traded it (92 mazda Miata).
Cafe' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 07:29 PM   #34
SBJ
Total Buzzkill

Quote:
Originally Posted by estetic View Post
Working on Vans in general is the pits... Had a 98 4.3 astro in the stable for a bit, affectionately named the 'Silver Suck Ass'. Did plugs on that thing one time and had one head with chewed up threads, all but impossible to reach/deal with - never prayed so much in my life running that thread chaser in an out. Basically needed to do some from inside the 'dog house' (engine cover between the seats) and the others from the wheel wells

Thing LOVED to burn up fuel pumps - did one in the driveway in January with 24" of snow surrounding the little 'snow fort' I dug out to drop a full tank of gas and swap the pumps - stripped a mounting strap bolt that day...
I have yet to work on an astro van but I have heard nothing but awful things about them. Most of my experience is with Ford e series vans. Personally I think the trucks are worse... engine access sucks in both but at least in a van the starter, exhaust and bell housing bolts are right there after you remove the doghouse. Vans also had fewer bells and whistles to break.
Old 07-31-2017, 07:34 PM   #35
david29
Administrator

Vehicle: 1987 Nissan King Cab

84 Oldsmobile omega. Water pump took 6 hours. 4 to remove & 2 hours to install everything. I hate front wheel drives.
david29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 08:20 PM   #36
SBJ
Total Buzzkill

Quote:
Originally Posted by david29 View Post
84 Oldsmobile omega. Water pump took 6 hours. 4 to remove & 2 hours to install everything. I hate front wheel drives.
I feel ya on that. Some of them are an absolute pain in the ass and others aren't so bad. Ford foci are some of the worst in my book, no room to get to anything. On the other hand my 98 Corolla is a snap to work on and my 99 Camry isn't bad either despite having a v6 in there. I actually prefer FWD for a daily driver and have owned 3 of them so I'm pretty used to it by now. I'd say the Corolla is about tied with my D21 for ease of wrenching, maybe even a little easier by virtue of having way fewer vacuum lines and a much simpler emissions system.