Go Back   Infamous Nissan - Hardbody / Frontier Forums > Infamous Nissan > General Discussion

Old 01-24-2020, 04:15 AM   #1
Bman2895

Vehicle: 1989 Nissan D21 4x4
Default 1989 Z24i questions.

So I want to run a few things by you guys. First off i am new and plan on a introduction post, but wanted to get this post up here while it was on my mind.

So I just bought the truck from my work. 1989 z24i 4x4. Its 100% an ugly duckling but i love its character. heres "quick" questions. I apologize in advance i like to thoroughly context my questions.

first off as im new to this engine. any things or issues specific to this engine i need to be aware of and check on?

Can the Z24i safely run on one of its coils? The truck barely revved out when i got it and acted like a low rev limiter. so i did some reading and traced it to the coils, It came with new coils and modules, but for some reason they didnt work period? wouldnt even fire. anyway. hooking the old back up i swapped the coils around and ta da, now it runs way better and revs out well, though i do still have the exhaust side unhooked. will this hurt anything? will having the exhaust coil firing increase performance?

How long should the oil light hang around after starting? One of the first things i did was change the oil, it had 160K according to the dash. it was a mix of who knows what oils and an OLD nissan filter. got what auto zone recommended. a largeish filter compared to the nissan and some synthetic 10-30. after this I noticed on cold starts, Around 20F here lately. the truck would fire and for about 3-4 secs the oil light would hang around. youd hear the timing chain just start to rattle then it would shut up and the light went out. Well this seemed off to me, Ive never started it in this cold of weather before so i didnt know if this was something it did already or not. so i switched it to 5-30 and a smaller volume filter. Now it starts up and maybe 2 secs the lights off and no rattles at all. so its definitely better. and it only does it on cold start ups otherwise the lights out before the truck even fires, Is it normal on cold starts? I plan on an actual oil gauge here soon.
Bman2895 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 04:27 AM   #2
h.stickeye

Vehicle: *Black 91 D21 single cab *White 88 D21 single cab

1- your exhaust side spark plugs only fire at certain times to increase fuel burn. Stupid 8 plug idea should never have been invented. Maybe your coil is bad, I dunno.

2- the oil light only tells you if oil pressure has built up to its designated psi. Now, if you hear rattling on the z24, I'd change the timing chain.

Otherwise the z24 is solid. Common problems will come to me when I'm less tired.
h.stickeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 04:50 AM   #3
Bman2895

Quote:
Originally Posted by h.stickeye View Post
1- your exhaust side spark plugs only fire at certain times to increase fuel burn. Stupid 8 plug idea should never have been invented. Maybe your coil is bad, I dunno.

2- the oil light only tells you if oil pressure has built up to its designated psi. Now, if you hear rattling on the z24, I'd change the timing chain.

Otherwise the z24 is solid. Common problems will come to me when I'm less tired.
Well i haven't heard a peep out of the chain since i put the 5-30 and other filter on. And yeah thats why i wanted to put an actual oil pressure gauge on it to see exactly what my oil pressure is. i don't fully trust oil lights.
Old 01-24-2020, 11:33 AM   #4
h.stickeye

Vehicle: *Black 91 D21 single cab *White 88 D21 single cab

If you start questioning if the oil pressure is right you will need to question everything else.

The chain on the z24 is solid. Sorry I must not have read far enough. If it quietened down all good.

The only real problem with your z24 is the tbi. If it runs well don't touch it, otherwise parts are sort of hard to find, so I hear. Z24s in Australia are all carbed, I've never seen a tbi.

Edit, I don't question what works on the z24, in other words, go with wats good.
h.stickeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 11:02 PM   #5
Bman2895

Quote:
Originally Posted by h.stickeye View Post
If you start questioning if the oil pressure is right you will need to question everything else.

The chain on the z24 is solid. Sorry I must not have read far enough. If it quietened down all good.

The only real problem with your z24 is the tbi. If it runs well don't touch it, otherwise parts are sort of hard to find, so I hear. Z24s in Australia are all carbed, I've never seen a tbi.

Edit, I don't question what works on the z24, in other words, go with wats good.
Gotcha .I've heard they are damn reliable engines. And this one runs awesome at the moment. Not the most powerful but better than my 2.5 ranger. Another 8plug headache.

Are these trucks picky about aftermarket parts? Like I said the truck came with brand new modules and coils. But didn't work period.
Old 01-26-2020, 12:09 AM   #6
cadillacdude1975
The Gear Jammer

Vehicle: 87 D21 SE KC V6 2wd 5sp & 86.5 V6 SE auto
Thanked 1,133 Times in 1,045 Posts

Try changing the oil pressure switch. That might help the response time.
Old 01-26-2020, 12:24 AM   #7
Deerhurst
4/86 SE-V6 2 tone 4x4 HB

Vehicle: 1986.5 Hardbody

Bman, these trucks seem to like NGK when it comes to ignition components.
VG33i
Deerhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 06:25 AM   #8
Bman2895

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillacdude1975 View Post
Try changing the oil pressure switch. That might help the response time.
Ive thought about this. Its doing okay, Fires up and about 2seconds it shuts off and im not hearing the chain noise on fire up i was hearing when i had the larger filter on there and the 10-30.

I swear it seems like a prime thing. Cause if you start it up. then shut it off and start it again without it setting too long the oil pressure light goes out before it even starts up. though if you wait longer it does the same thing, fires up and shuts off after about 2 seconds. And strangely i swear it always shut off before the truck started before i did the oil change. but I cant see how an oil change would hurt the speed it builds oil pressure. should flow the new clean oil faster right? its got a purolater filter on it now. the one it had was a OEM nissan. do i need to put one of those back?
Old 01-31-2020, 12:08 AM   #9
Bman2895

So New question. And ive looked on forum and some seem to say its normal? But Ive noticed with the oil cap off and the truck running theres blow by? Or positive pressure as some call it. no smoke just pressure. Is this normal? motor is still running fine and ive never noticed any oil smoke in the exhaust so i think the rings are okay? I did however notice it 100% needs a air filter as its pretty nasty looking.

How does the PCV work on a z24i? From what Ive found so far on my engine there isnt actually a valve. just a metal elbow coming off the valve cover piped to the air cleaner with a little filter in the housing where the hose connects. Is there more to it than that or is it that simple?
Old 01-31-2020, 12:58 AM   #10
PoBoi850

Vehicle: 88 Nissan Truck

Bman, my truck slings oil out of the opening when it runs with the cap off, i think thats normal, since the chain is right there. Something that i learned is, the intake spark plugs are different than the exhaust plugs. I know you said yours aren't even firing right now, but having the right plugs made a huge difference for mine.
As far as the pcv, thats also all i have found. I am new to this as well.
PoBoi850 is offline   Reply With Quote