Go Back   Infamous Nissan - Hardbody / Frontier Forums > Model Specific > Hardbody Forum (D21)

Old 07-10-2018, 04:53 AM   #11
SBJ
Total Buzzkill

Vehicle: '90 D21 4cyl 5spd 2wd

I don't think there's really too much of a difference in the stock engines when it comes to fuel economy. The best my 4 banger has ever done is like 22-23mpg. At least it's consistent. I can only imagine how much of a dog the 4cyl auto must be. Mine is slow as hell. I've driven a 4x4 v6 as well and it's not much faster, although the gearing is significantly lower.
SBJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 02:06 PM   #12
VOTS95

Vehicle: 1995 XE King Cab V6, Desert Runner

I had a 95 Pathy, V6 with the auto transmission, it was a 2wd. I thought the power/acceleration was pretty good. The transmission lost reverse gear at 260K on the speedo. I think the 4 cylinder is under powered with a 5 speed, I wouldn't get one with an auto.

VOTS
VOTS95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 02:38 PM   #13
PuddlePusher

Vehicle: 1997 Nissan Pickup

Seriously doubt I would pay for a 4cyl with an auto, if it was given to me... id put a 5spd behind it.

I dont really want a Nissan SUV which is why I am looking for a hardbody. I work for a group that does Explorers and the game plan was a custom built 2dr by putting a V8 AWD in it... but I already have a lot of work to do for them for the 2nd gen they just built my wife after her T4R got totaled. They are also super booked and I didn't want to add to their workload either.

Well see what happens, but if I dont go with the explorer, its most likely going to be a Nissan truck.
PuddlePusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 06:28 PM   #14
PuddlePusher

Holy guacamole....

So, seeing the asking prices of these trucks makes me really upset that I got rid of mine. I paid something like 1200 for mine, with 150k, one small body blemish and no leaks or immediately necessary repairs (besides the half day I spent replacing the headliner and scraping off old tint)... I figured the bike was easily worth the cash value I gave for the truck.

Well, $1200 is what people are asking now for some seriously beat to shit rustbuckets... what in the is going on here?

Being from the 7.3IDI world, I understand how people are driving up the value by actually paying these clowns high asking prices for massive projects but I didnt think I would need $3k to get a halfway decent hardbody that didnt need immediate attention
Old 07-11-2018, 07:52 PM   #15
VOTS95

Vehicle: 1995 XE King Cab V6, Desert Runner

Clean, good condition versions are getting a decent buck, the 4x4's with the V6 even more so. These trucks will last for a long time if they're taken care of. If you're like me, I bought several D/W21's new and always remembered the value and dependability they had. The price of new vehicles today is obscene.

I just sold a clean 97 regular cab for $3,500, I think I could have gotten more if I had the patience. I own several vehicles but I don't ever expect to sell my truck.

VOTS
VOTS95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 08:25 PM   #16
Deerhurst
4/86 SE-V6 2 tone 4x4 HB

Vehicle: 1986.5 Hardbody

Paid $3400 for my 86.5 SE-V6 about 9 years ago. It was bone stock and 86k miles with nothing needed.
VG33i
Deerhurst is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 09:26 PM   #17
SBJ
Total Buzzkill

Vehicle: '90 D21 4cyl 5spd 2wd

Sometimes I have a hard time believing the sellers can actually get the prices they're asking. They must be or we wouldn't be seeing prices like that No way a similar age/mileage used car would sell for those kinds of prices unless it was in pristine condition. I lucked out and got my truck for $800 4 years ago, 124kmi but it was a little rough around the edges and it's a 2wd base model with absolutely none of the options. IMHO 1000+ is way too much for a beater model. My next vehicle will likely be a beater minivan, not too much competition for those on the used market.

Last edited by SBJ; 07-11-2018 at 09:34 PM.
SBJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 11:59 PM   #18
PuddlePusher

3-3.5k is understandable for a good, clean example. 3-3.5 for a used up, rough, dented and dirty truck that is likely in need of multiple maintenance items is absurd!

Looks like if I want one again ill be traveling and hauling it home
Old 07-12-2018, 06:18 AM   #19
XoXSciFiGuy

Vehicle: 1997 D21 King Cab XE 2WD

Quote:
"I just sold a clean 97 regular cab for $3,500, I think I could have gotten more if I had the patience. I own several vehicles but I don't ever expect to sell my truck..."
You did good. I do a lot of searching for D21's, even though I'm not currently in the market for another one. The semi-beaters, regular cab, are going for 12 to 14 hundred, generally. The ones you can start up and drive home. The non-runners six to eight hundred.

It's the ones with low miles and in pristine condition that get the bucks around Seattle. The spread between the pristine ones and 'The Others' keeps growing all the time. Almost by the month, it seems. It's actually becoming worth it to restore one, but the one big thing everyone respects is the MILEAGE. The older these trucks get, the harder it is to find low-mileage examples. But the demand for them is very strong. If it's a king cab 4WD you can ask almost ridiculous prices if its pristine and has low miles. Lately, I've seen some of these at dealer sites where they want close to five thousand, sometimes MORE.

There seems to be three groups of trucks going. First, are the low end regular cabs that run but are a bit rough, high miles, bare bones. Second are the heavily modified trucks. You can get a lot for those, but once they go over 200,000 miles, there is a certain limit on the value. Third are the remaining low-mileage trucks you can still find. It's a good market all around. My advice is to go for the low miles and pick something that needs a little work for the best purchase price. That way...it's worth it, and justifiable to toss some bucks at the truck.

1997 King Cab XE, 5-sp, canopy, AC/PS, KA24E, 112,000 miles. Need a technical manual? Drop me a message.
XoXSciFiGuy is offline   Reply With Quote