Go Back   Infamous Nissan - Hardbody / Frontier Forums > Tech Area > Exterior & Paint and Body

Old 07-08-2018, 07:00 AM   #1
bobbylawn

Vehicle: 1995 Nissan Pickup 4x4
Default Rust repairing remove taillight?

Hey there. So, I got this truck here from the coast of California... meaning it has rust... I would really like to "do it right" but I also kinda just wanna get the truck up and running... plus I don't have a welder right now.. so im going to be patching rust holes with bondo..

ANYWHOO

I got two large, like dollar bill sized holes rusted out of my truck roof, right over the rear cab windows. right around where the two screws for the red tail light enter. I am thinking I may just remove that light and cover the holes up. I mean the older models of this truck don't have a light there??? whats the big deal? plus, if I try to keep that light there I will surely rust out faster again...

Ive never done any body work before so any advice is welcome..

I will be sanding down the spots until metal is shown, spraying primer, somehow fitting metal mesh into the hole to bondo onto... was considering filling the holes with foam... then hitting it with bondo, and the spot filler putty... priming again then painting...

anyone in Northern California (Sonoma county)??
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0842.jpg (93.8 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0843.jpg (94.4 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0847.jpg (88.5 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0849.jpg (85.8 KB, 7 views)
bobbylawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 07:12 PM   #2
Dragon
Lowered Class c.c

Vehicle: 1994 Nissan hardbody

Filling with bondo is only a temp fix, you need to remove as much rust as possible, wire wheel and rust treatment you can get from any auto parts store, you should have someone weld in new metal as soon as you can, as for the tail light, I live in so cal, and I have mine removed and shaved, 94 first year to come with the third brake light, but cali law says if it came with it, it has to be there, but I have found if you do a good enough job in hiding the fact it was there they will never know, but I do recommend a good cleaning of the rust and a good etching primer when done
06 armada(bertha), 24's, system, looking to slam it
Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 08:54 PM   #3
bobbylawn

Vehicle: 1995 Nissan Pickup 4x4

Dragon,

Yea I know Bondo is only a temp fix... one day I will own a welder and replace panels... but for now I just wanna fill these holes...

I have scraped the rust down to metal on the outside, but im concerned about the Rust on the inside... im thinking I may just slap tons of por15 in there and see what happens....

Also, ive scraped all the rust off the underbody and frame, all surface rust, nothing major. My plan was to spray the rubberized coating but now its feeling kinda pointless... may just leave it as is.. I assume the rust will significantly slow down now that the trucks not living on the coast anymore?
bobbylawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 11:12 PM   #4
Dragon
Lowered Class c.c

It will if you treat it, I know por15 makes a rust cleaner that gets rid of any of the rust and works great
Old 07-10-2018, 04:16 PM   #5
Gordo78
I'm The Juggernaut B&#@^!

Vehicle: 91 HB

If you're not planning on welding, then cutting out most of the rust and treating the area, then fiberglassing the patch is about the only way (and still not great). You can't just cake bondo in the hole.

I bought a cheap 90 amp wire welder at Harbor Freight to teach myself to weld. Got it for around 80 bucks with the coupon. I used it just to practice, then to do my body work. Not ideal but it worked. I suggest that route, or you'll cuss yourself later when it doesn't work, keeps rusting out, and you start flaking out chunks of bondo.

Also vehicles were mandated to have the 3rd brake light by law after a certain year. I don't think there is an issue removing it as a lot of custom guys do, but you might want to check local law enforcement.

Last edited by Gordo78; 07-11-2018 at 03:34 AM.
Gordo78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 04:34 PM   #6
jp2code
Software Developer

Vehicle: 94 LB 2x4 Manual VG33e
Thanked 1,074 Times in 946 Posts

Nothing says that 3rd brake light has to be the same brake light that Nissan manufactured the truck with.

Stick a Red LED up there.
1994 VG30E to VG33E with H256 Cams

jp2code is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 12:17 AM   #7
Dragon
Lowered Class c.c

I've been pulled over and had fix it tickets for mine not being there, california has some odd car laws and if it came with one it has to have one is one of the odd laws here