Go Back   Infamous Nissan - Hardbody / Frontier Forums > My Infamous Nissan > Project Build Log

Old 02-28-2017, 10:34 AM   #121
Tatujess
Praise the lowered

Vehicle: 97 hardbody based Frankenstein project, static slammed 64 beetle, h&r grounded e46 330i

[IMG][/IMG]
I couldn't help it I had a later tattoo appt today so I went and got a new big ass tank of mig gas so no more mini tank and couldn't pass up the opportunity to almost be late to work test fitting a couple of the arms haha. damnit it looks tight and it nuts how much adjustment I have now. I can adjust camber, caster, toe, front to back positioning of the wheel and in Europe and Japan there was a version of this rear end in a car that used a little rack and pinion in place of the toe arms! How frickin cool would four wheel steer be?!?! Crab walk lane changes, rolling parking lots while still skatin'.... ugh that could be the shiz...

Last edited by Tatujess; 02-28-2017 at 11:52 AM.
Tatujess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 12:36 PM   #122
kmanuel

Vehicle: 13 G37 Sport Daily. 06 CC Sierra Bagged, 06 Trailblazer bagged

looks good. loving the progress pics
makes me miss my hardbody with 300zx IRS

have to admit, I like your frame design better than the one I had

Last edited by kmanuel; 03-01-2017 at 06:22 PM.
kmanuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Tatujess (02-28-2017)
Old 03-01-2017, 07:58 AM   #123
battleaxe

Vehicle: 1991 D21

HICAS, four wheel steer was used worldwide. its horrible and useless, a very early system. you got the better of the options. in our drifting community many just leave the "traction" arms stock length or stock, the "castor" or front most arms.

if looking for a little more spacing on the axles as well, theres axle spacers available, the go at the diff side. theres also subframe risers but im sure most of these wont be too interesting for your truck.

im excited to see what you do to the exterior when this is all done.
excellent work. still favourite thread on here
battleaxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Tatujess (03-02-2017)
Old 03-02-2017, 01:07 PM   #124
Tatujess
Praise the lowered

Vehicle: 97 hardbody based Frankenstein project, static slammed 64 beetle, h&r grounded e46 330i

@battleaxe thanks for the info it's been fun learning all the drift community details and applying what I can and what's practical moneywise to my build. There's sooo much stuff out there for that irs platform it's mind boggling!!! As u mentioned It was probly gonna be fine with stock adjustment but i couldn't pass up the deal on the shiny bits and they give it such a more built feel and look rather than the otherwise benign lookin stock components to go along with my frame work if it's cool I'll likely be picking yer brain a bit as this thing unfolds[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
Got some stuff done yesterday. Made little bent bars connecting the rear ladder section up to the main crossmember and made temporarily adjustable lift bar shackles that I'll reshape pretty up later. Also made my lift bars out of some Dodge Ram ifs to chassis connector bars. I bent them at 12 degrees and cut one bush end off the unbent (chassis) side of each and replaced them with hiems joints. Placement of which gave me the bidness for quite awhile. I tried cycling the suspension which the bars tacked in all different spots and at all available angles and it really needed to mount just behind and below the main rear crossmember at the front of the rear ladder section pretty much hiding the hiems. All the spots I tried ended up binding the axle side hiems and sending the bar in an adverse direction right before full lift. Bad part of how it ended up is there's no spot to mount the bag anywhere near where it needs to be if mounted directly on bar sooo It forces me to do something cool instead of staying simple. Some sort of cantilever system is in the works for next week I gotta get er goin up and down on air all the way around asap so I can get to the engine drop and sheet metal work. I did a lot of back n forth and doing things over trying to get er right yesterday. Got a result I'm happy with, I just wish I got more items off the list for being there 11 hours eh oh well...nevertheless, I really dig the new arms, looks sexy as f with em all on there I still got a toe arm mount brace to go in there too but I might just use it somewhere else... so far it Looks as if I'm gonna have plenty of lift for these sh!tty norcal foothill roads and driveways too
Old 03-05-2017, 08:42 AM   #125
battleaxe

Vehicle: 1991 D21

anytime. ive been drifting my s13 for about 10yrs now and have done about everything with them to tell you what everything does. as of the last couple years been messing with toyotas as well. feel free to 'pick my brain' any time.
battleaxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Tatujess (03-10-2017)
Old 03-10-2017, 08:32 AM   #126
Tatujess
Praise the lowered

@battleaxe right on I appreciate it [IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
Soooo here we go! : make the back lift take two! So since the last debacle with the lower lift bars, I did decide to go cantilever/bellcrank with vertical strut rods rather than the previous shackle system... made some temporary strut rods out of some link bars from a 4Runner and the hiems joints previously used on the shackles. The final product will have to have hiems on both ends... the pivots of the bellcranks, I made from one of my original torsion bars so as to use it as the pin and utilize the splines. It rides in a sleeve and bronze bushing thru the horizontal crossmember to a capture tube and another bronze bushing on the diagonal of the k-member. From this pivot will be an arm and sleeve welded to the pin running just above and parallel to the the uca, attached to the top of the strut rod. This portion will be permanently in place once welded. I coulda done pins if I wanted to go thru ten bits to make four holes but I decided I'm gonna weld it up tough. On the other end of the pivot I took my og tortion brackets from the front lca's and drilled a new hole, sleeved the hole and cut the remaining 3.5" off the end, cleaned em up and drilled and tapped the the splined portion an put Allen head set screws in there to keep em on the splines, clocked wherever I need them. From this little arm a small shackle will connect it to an arm with the bag mounted to it horizontally. The sleeved holes to the inside of the lift bar pivot holes are where these will mount... Reason I'm doing this part is to give me more room to mount the bag inboard of the frame rails. Otherwise the bags' torsional effect being below the rail, would be trying to twist the rails off my crossmember haha. This way I can get the bag bracket coming off the crossmember and the the rails. Plus gets them further away from road debris coming off the tires, dragging, etc.. I put together a mock up arm out of a couple strips of 3/16 so I could cycle the suspension and really see where any binding would be. If I don't modify the uca, and I shape the arm to make the strut rod go down the center of the loop in my uca, it'll lift great and cycle fine but will need an upper hiems on the strut rod. If I change the uca to a single bar instead of the loop, like a lot of the higher dollar s13/s14/370z arm kits, I can leave and finish out the temp strut rods I made and keep them almost totally vertical resulting in not needing to offset the lift arms or put another hiems on the strut rod... decisions... shocks are gonna mount near where the sway bar used to mount on the lca attached at the top between the track arm and uca on the k-member. I also finished making and installing the frame bolsters and fish plates where the rear rails meet the crossmember. A lot of words for not a lot of visual change. But I'm tryin hard to keep my nose down and keep the ball rollin... if all goes well after next week, and it's lifted, maybe I can finally get back on the sheetmetal work...
Old 03-17-2017, 12:38 AM   #127
Spydie

Vehicle: 1998 Nissan Frontier KC 5 spd

What a build. Great work!
Spydie is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Tatujess (Today)