Go Back   Infamous Nissan - Hardbody / Frontier Forums > Infamous Nissan > General Discussion

Old 07-14-2018, 01:07 AM   #91
cadillacdude1975
The Gear Jammer

Vehicle: 87 D21 SE KC V6 2wd 5sp & 86.5 V6 SE auto

too fkin hot here to do anything.
Old 07-16-2018, 03:53 PM   #92
OldGreyBeast
1986.5 HB 4x4 3.0V6

Vehicle: 1986.5 Nissan D21, 1987 Mercedes 190D Turbo, 2010 Mercedes E350 AWD

I feel you man. I've mostly just been working on my racing sim setup, but even that I only do past 8pm with a bunch of fans going all through the garage. Miserable hot.
Old 08-11-2018, 11:40 AM   #93
Hands On
XXXXXXXXXXXX

Vehicle: A Hardbody

Cadillac, friendly word of advice: Get a spare belt tensioner to keep on hand. I've read that before but didn't want to spend the money because they ain't cheap. Swapped in a 150A alt and the threaded rod broke. Replaced just the rod because the tensioner looked good and the belt started squealing next day. Damn tensioner had one last half-a-fuck to give and went out on me while at a friend's house. Trying to tighten it to see if I could get it to hold so I could drive home stripped the threads on the rod, so that added $20 to the tab because I had to buy another. Coulda saved about $60 had I bought it from my preferred parts house rather than the local spot that charges a bit more plus tax, but I needed it done ASAP because the car was in the homie's garage. Wish I purchased it long ago and sat on it for such an occasion. Also make sure the strut is compressed on the tensioner when you install the damn thing or you'll be redoing most the job. It's a fucking stupid design.

Waited til the sun went down to work on it so as to not be miserable AND frustrated, got 'er dunn, and washed the car on the way home. BS German early serp belt tensioner had me really hot, but the car is pretty cute and made me smile after she got cleaned up.

cadillacdude1975 (08-11-2018)
Old 08-11-2018, 03:05 PM   #94
cadillacdude1975
The Gear Jammer

good word of advice. my belt squeaks when the car shifts LOL

it needs a belt for sure. then i saw how fuckin dumb the belt system was designed. so the belt hasnt been changed................yet.
Old 08-11-2018, 09:04 PM   #95
Hands On
XXXXXXXXXXXX

You definitely want to have one ready if the belt is squeaking. Didn't think mine was on its way out because I've removed the belt a few times for various jobs and everything was cool. I'm an idiot. You can also convert to the M104 tensioner, which is updated and similar to any normal damn car with a serp belt. Requires a new AC compressor and bracket and I think water pump and PS pump need to come off. Could get it done for about the same cost as replacing with the same POS part that's gonna fail again in the future (the shit even comes with a date and mileage sticker), but it's a lot more work that I wasn't in a position to do at that moment.
Old 08-12-2018, 12:11 AM   #96
cadillacdude1975
The Gear Jammer

i ordered a new blower motor. without the fan wheels, the motor was 25 bucks. with the wheels, it was over 150. fuckers. it is an epic pain in the ass to get those wheels off without breaking them. i bought two new ones i gotta send back to rockauto because they were too wide.

and the blower resistor had been bypassed. the plug was burnt on the end, so instead of replacing the resistor, some dickhead bypassed it and put it on a toggle switch. i know why now........a bosch resistor is over 500 bucks. wrong answer my friend...........i got one made in china that is identical to the bosch one for 25 bucks.

what sucks is i ordered the resistor last sunday. and they sent the son of a bitch via fedex smart post, which is the cheapest shipping service on the planet. the package sat in statesville NC for three and a half days. i am hoping i can intercept it at the post office tomorrow while i am there when that shit comes in so i dont have to wait until monday afternoon to put it back together.
Old 08-17-2018, 08:51 PM   #97
cadillacdude1975
The Gear Jammer

fuck fedex smartpost. 11 days to deliver the blower resistor. i got it back together yesterday afternoon. and it is no surprise that the blower now works on all speeds including automatic. then i had to find a replacement wiper arm.

my dumbass broke it trying to get it off the car. lesson learned. funny how things work out in the end....................the only yard that had a W124 mono wiper arm is 35 miles away. i called today at 10am and said pull it, i will be there promptly at 1:30 to get the item.

i get there, and nope. not pulled. i told the counter guy that was BS he said it would be pulled. it takes 15 seconds to get the thing off the wiper post. even though it was an old school they pull you pay yard, they let me go with the part puller because i knew how it came off.

we get to the wagon.........M104 powered W124 wagon ALL WHEEL DRIVE. i was like WTF? so we open the hood to access the allen head that holds the shaft in place, and OMG what do i see.........a set of the front upper shock mount R129 retaining brackets. http://www.infamousnissan.com/forum/...5&postcount=26 i about shit. so i had to have them. i blew 71 bucks there. but i got what i went for and a bonus. that is still cheaper than ordering a set of those R129 brackets.

bout damn time i get a good score on some benz parts. the LKQ here doesnt have a thing for the 124 chassis.
Old 08-17-2018, 09:01 PM   #98
cadillacdude1975
The Gear Jammer

oh and i just ordered the ceramic fuses and a new blower fuse. i had to cut the old blower fuse when the motor caught fire. i wanted to be sure all current to the motor was terminated. meanwhile, i simply unscrewed the broken fuse and screwed the two wires together on one post until the fuse arrives. it blows like a hurricane. that old motor was gone.
Old 08-20-2018, 01:42 AM   #99
Hands On
XXXXXXXXXXXX

Forget what it was, but last time I had a package sent Smartpost tracking showed it at a local post office or something for five or six days before being delivered. Fuck that shipping product.

Good work on the R129 brackets. Last 4matic S124 that was at yard had this under the hood:

God damn Mosselman turbo. I didn't see the notification when it came in because that was the day I pulled those two 5-speeds in the pic I posted a while back in this thread. By the time I made it to check on that car it was long gone.

Another day I saw all this shit. A bunch of containers full of MB parts. My guess is a shop or breaker went outta business and the JY absorbed their inventory.

And here's a gif that was in my random MB Shit Imgur folder since we're on the subject of R129s

Old 08-20-2018, 02:04 AM   #100
cadillacdude1975
The Gear Jammer

well the damn brackets didnt fit.............the shock pistons arent long enough. another new problem has reared its head. out of no where the fuse for the lock system, door lights, rear interior light, trunk light and the seat belt warning indicator is blowing. its just too goddamn hot outside to go unplugging systems to check where the problem may be located.