Go Back   Infamous Nissan - Hardbody / Frontier Forums > Tech Area > Exterior & Paint and Body

Old 10-22-2017, 01:39 PM   #1
Tropicalcats

Vehicle: 1995 Nissan King Cab XE
Default Rust repair, how best to fill the holes

One of the beautiful things about having a Nissan hardbody is that you are never at a loss for things to do with it. I have decided that it is going to be to costly for me to have professional body work done on the truck so Like everything else with my D 21 I will dive in learn as much as I can and fix it myself. Another beautiful thing about these trucks is that they are fairly easy to maintain and repair.
I do need to do some rust repair. I have a hole in the passenger side rocker panel just below the front of the door. I do not have welding skills, welding equipment, or friends that could help me to do it. So I am looking for alternative fixes. I know it may not be ideal but I will do the best that I can with what I have available.
Has anybody used and what kind of results did you get from using the epoxy putty?
Is anybody used and what kind of results from using fiberglass cloth?
After cleaning up the area I plan on POR 15 before I make the repair. I then want to cover the rocker panel the entire length both sides with Eastwood rubberized undercoating. I like the textured look for below the door.
Any suggestions are greatly appreciated
Can you top coat POR 15 with the rubberized undercoating ?
Thanks for the help.

Old 10-22-2017, 02:17 PM   #2
veesix

Vehicle: 1988 SE V6 KingCab

You could try and stabilize the problem. Take a wire wheel on a grinder and knock all the rust away. Then seal the metal with Rustoleum. Worry about the cosmetics later.
veesix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 10:53 PM   #3
kellybig

Vehicle: 1991 Nissan D21 King Cab V6 4x4 SE

I would think a shop could cut that rust out and patch weld it for not too much.
kellybig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 02:29 PM   #4
estetic
ADMIN

Vehicle: 91 HB

Cut and weld - or mitigate the issue now with some surface repair as said above.
Old 10-24-2017, 02:07 AM   #5
Tomakze

Vehicle: 1990 2WD D21

You can actually buy replacement rocker panels for these trucks, and they aren't too expensive. Once you have them, you'll need to drill the old spot welds out and weld the new panel on. I'd guess if you do all the drilling and remove them, a shop would fill the spot welds and replace the panel for hardly anything. Especially if you volunteer to do any bodywork it might need afterwards. That is what I would do in your shoes.

-1970 Datsun 2000 Fairlady Roadster (resto in progress)
-1990 Nissan Hardbody 2wd 4cyl (DD and project)
-2014 Ford Fiesta (DD and audio system demo vehicle)
Tomakze is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Tropicalcats (10-24-2017)
Old 10-24-2017, 10:58 AM   #6
Tropicalcats

Vehicle: 1995 Nissan King Cab XE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomakze View Post
You can actually buy replacement rocker panels for these trucks, and they aren't too expensive. Once you have them, you'll need to drill the old spot welds out and weld the new panel on. I'd guess if you do all the drilling and remove them, a shop would fill the spot welds and replace the panel for hardly anything. Especially if you volunteer to do any bodywork it might need afterwards. That is what I would do in your shoes.
WOW I would never have thought that they still made panels for our trucks so I never looked. After a quick search I found several sources. Thanks
I will stop by a shop and see what kind of price I can get with me doing some of the work.
I assume there is a drain that got plugged so thatís why it rusted out in that section? Does it run down from the under the cowl? Under my cowl was filled with leaves and crap. My truck was missing the cowl vent covers when I got the truck.