Go Back   Infamous Nissan - Hardbody / Frontier Forums > Model Specific > 05+ Frontier Forum (D40)

Old 07-07-2017, 05:24 PM   #1
97stocker

Vehicle: 1997 Nissan D21
Default Older Pro-4x or newer SV?

The wife and I are going to need a 4-door vehicle very soon. She just bought a new V6 Mustang in October, so our only option seems to be selling/trading my 25k-mile 2008 Bullitt.

Option 1:
The local dealer has a CPO 2017 SV 4x4 with only 3k miles. I checked the vin decal and the truck was built in January, so it should have plenty of warranty left, plus the CPO. The only thing is it's pretty much a base SV with a moonroof. They have the truck listed at $26,999, and have almost that in it(or so I was told by a friend).

Option 2:
Another dealer(not Nissan) has a 2015 Pro-4x with the luxury package(leather, moonroof, roof rack) with under 40k-miles. They have it listed at $25,999 and I don't know how much they have in it or will go down.

Option the 3rd:
The Nissan dealer seems to think they can sell me a new 4x4 cheaper than the CPO one. But the CPO is odd with the moonroof. If they can dealer locate an SV with a moonroof, I'd be in; but those seem rare for whatever reason (hell, 4x4 is rare around here).

My wife thinks I'd be happier with the Pro-4x, but the SV seems to be the better value.
I could always add Bilsteins, Pro-4x wheels, and skid plates myself. But the Dana 44 and all the options of the fully loaded truck would be missing.

What would you all do?
I'm not a buyer for the Pro-4x unless they come down a bit. 40k-miles has no warranty, and a new one realistically wouldn't be much more than their list price.
97stocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 06:46 PM   #2
alabama_lowlife
Owner and Administrator

Vehicle: 2011 Nissan Frontier, 08 altima, 1970 Datsun 521, 1995 Nissan Hardbody
Thanked 1,295 Times in 1,061 Posts

I have a 2011 Pro-4X 2wd. I love it. I like the satellite radio, leather, utilitrac, spray in bedliner, and all that crap. I wish I had gotten one with a long bed because the short bed is kind of a joke. But it's pretty hard to find a long bed truck with any options.
alabama_lowlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 08:05 PM   #3
97stocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by alabama_lowlife View Post
I have a 2011 Pro-4X 2wd. I love it. I like the satellite radio, leather, utilitrac, spray in bedliner, and all that crap. I wish I had gotten one with a long bed because the short bed is kind of a joke. But it's pretty hard to find a long bed truck with any options.
I think I'd be the same way, except for the satellite radio; my current car has Sirius and I've never used it. But the spray in liner, and all the other stuff seems like it'd be nice to have.
Should I have any concerns looking at a 40k-mile used Frontier?
Old 07-07-2017, 10:48 PM   #4
alabama_lowlife
Owner and Administrator

Mine had 39k on it when I got it and it has 65k on it now. It's been a great truck so far, other than the tiny ass bed. Knock on wood.

Drive them and see how you like them. It's easily the best driving truck I've ever owned.
Old 07-09-2017, 03:07 AM   #5
97stocker

Checked out the Pro-4x and it was a little rough. It had some lovebug damage and the rear axel looked like it was leaking/seeping. It's at a Dodge dealer and I don't think they even looked at it before putting it on the lot; it barely looked like they washed it. When the salesguy saw how clean my '08 Bullitt was, he pretty much knew I wasn't going for their truck. It drove nice, but I think I can live without the options and add stuff myself if they're all out of my range.

Went back and looked at the certified SV. It's really oddly optioned as it has the moonroof, running boards, and mudflaps, but doesn't have the SV Value Package. 3 of the guys at the Nissan lot were Mustang guys and they were all over my car and they're trying to be fair with the trade-in price.

The only odd thing is that they were saying they can't dealer trade for a new truck optioned the way I want, because Nissan only gives the incentives to the original dealer that received the truck. That sounds stupid to me. We bought my wife's Mustang through their Ford store last year, and they got us the exact car we wanted; I gave them the VIN from cars.com and they called the dealer that had it and made the trade. We got all the incentives and paid $1,000 under invoice. It would be stupid of Nissan to make sales more complicated than that, IMO. I think I'm gonna go to a different Nissan dealer and see what they say.
Old 07-17-2017, 03:27 AM   #6
97stocker

I went and drove a Desert Runner yesterday. To be honest, I wasn't really impressed with it. The more adjustable manual seats are pretty much the only reason to consider a Desert Runner over an SV if you're looking at 2wd. Other than the shocks and tires, it's basically an appearance package. And while it looks awesome, it just felt too base-model from behind the wheel; especially compared to the car I'd be giving up.

It was the color I want(Arctic Blue) and I was willing to make the downgrade based on the price I was quoted on the phone. But after the 45-minute drive to the dealer and the test drive, I learned I was lied to on the phone(of course). They quoted me a price that was $1,000 under what other dealers were even able to touch(rebates and all). But when they did the paperwork, they added a $2,000 fee. They said it was dealer installed options for tint, door guards, and paint protection.
And yes, all their cars had $2,000 bump stickers for this crap taped to the windshield. Except for this truck, because it had just been dealer traded from another lot. But when I confronted them about the truck having none of that stuff, they said "Well, it's a fee we charge on all of our cars. We can add those things, but we can't drop the fee." Mother$#@^ers wasted my time.
What kills me is they were busy and have good reviews on Cars.com. One guy even noticed the $2,000 fee and was told to bring his car back so they could add that overpriced crap, and his stupid ass still gave them 3 stars. I can't believe people can be that stupid to forfeit thousands of dollars by just not paying attention to their paperwork.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg download (1).jpg (16.6 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg download.jpg (17.6 KB, 13 views)
Old 07-17-2017, 11:04 AM   #7
alabama_lowlife
Owner and Administrator

Man what a rip off.
Old 07-17-2017, 01:22 PM   #8
ahardb0dy
The Post Count Whore

Vehicle: 1993 Nissan Hardbody

Carmax in Tampa has a 2016 SV with 12K miles for $24,998

https://www.carmax.com/car/14860673

also have a 2014 SV with 49K for $21K in Orlando:

https://www.carmax.com/car/14853213

Current truck - 1993 Nissan Hardbody king cab 2wd
, (formerly owned: 90 Nissan Sentra, 94 Nissan Pathfinder SE 4x4, 05 Nissan Titan, 87 Nissan SE-V6 4x4 king cab, 94 Infiniti Q45t & 80 Datsun 310GX )
ahardb0dy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 09:09 PM   #9
97stocker

I've postponed the search for now. I was going to go look at a 2016 Pro-4x with 11k miles for $27k today. But my wife doesn't think we should spend the money right now.
One problem that I learned when I looked at the DR was the infant seat still didn't fit right in a crew cab. Not a big deal as my wife said she'd sit in the back too, as long our son's in the rear-facing seats. But it's still not ideal and she did say the backseats weren't very comfortable.

Another reason I was in a hurry to find something was because we traded the wife's less-than-a-year-old car for her mother's 10 year-old Hyundai, until we could find a 4-door. My wife takes good care of her car, but her parents are f*cking Philistines when it comes vehicles. I knew her car would get all sorts of scratches and shit if we didn't get something soon. ...Well, in less than a week, my wife's car was involved in an accident. Couldn't even give me a f*cking week to look around. And it wasn't a fender or bumper cover that could be replaced. They hit the goddamn quarter panel. At this point, I'm saying "F*ck it!" Let them trash each other's cars, and I'll do my share of beating the shit out of that Hyundai.
Hopefully I'll have a 4wd Frontier in a couple years, well before my son's old enough to go fishing and camping too.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg download (2).jpg (12.0 KB, 4 views)